Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First stroker build 92X82
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I'll stick up for ya.. Wink

No need to Clatter.
Thanks just the same.

How's the heater beater running?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
FWIW,

Since the Carter/CB electric self-regulating pumps have a reputation for eventually failing,
And ethanol (etc.. ) in today's fuels can eat things like you never thought,
I just bought another spare pump for test and run-in use.
No doubt it will have NO trouble lifting fuel up from the ground to a stand..

FWIW, it's claimed 3.5 PSI seemed a bit higher than that on the fuel pressure gauge I bought,
And many carbs will like less than that,
So may a well get a regulator.

If you plan on doing a few more motors,
Might as well dive in..?

Funny. I in fact do have a friend that wants me to build him a 1776. He can do the build. But has no patience to take the time to do it in all the correct steps.

I do like your engine starting stand. But all I have is a bell housing that was roughly cut off a trans. A $20 swapmeet snag. Very Happy

I do run a regulator on the engine in the car. Just not on the floor when bench starting.

Thank you for the advice.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Honestly, I have a ton of respect for people that aren't afraid to let a project drag on for however long it takes to get it right. Many of the full tilt disasters that come to this forum are the product of rushed, uninformed assembly. Having the patience to do it at whatever pace gets it right.. is often because we have learned the hard way that rushing leads to mistakes. People like Alstrup, Modok, Roy, etc.. well they build engines every day so the steps are second nature and of course it doesn't take a year or more. Bah, I thought I was making some sort of a point..
Oh yeah. Get the thing fired already!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Honestly, I have a ton of respect for people that aren't afraid to let a project drag on for however long it takes to get it right. Many of the full tilt disasters that come to this forum are the product of rushed, uninformed assembly. Having the patience to do it at whatever pace gets it right.. is often because we have learned the hard way that rushing leads to mistakes. People like Alstrup, Modok, Roy, etc.. well they build engines every day so the steps are second nature and of course it doesn't take a year or more. Bah, I thought I was making some sort of a point.. <<<That's some funny shit right there!
Oh yeah. Get the thing fired already!

I think you made a fine point esde. Got there in a round about way. But a point still was made.

I'll fire it. Come Hell or High water! This coming weekend. Even if I have to steel the remaining parts from my daily driver to get it done. Shocked

Have a great week.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Totally agree with esde. The details and knowing how to anticipate what’s going to happen with this or that 3 steps away is mind boggling. Then the procuring of a little parts that fit better then another. The stuff my buddy sees, feels and measures is amazing. Like my AL heads. All was good and the cut was just a hair to tight for proper clearance. They could have massaged. But just not what he likes to do. Hey even experienced pros make mistakes. It’s how it’s handled that counts. None of the heads at the shop were suitable as a replacement. So now I’m waiting for new heads from Roy. Thought I’d give his product a shot. He’s always been good to me.

Now go put your big boy coat on and roll that sucker Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

So I attached the remote (bench) starter today and cranked the engine. Without power to the coil and no gas.
Just to make sure it built oil pressure.
It got to 40psi. Great news.

Bad news. The engine didn't sound right. There was an audible grinding sound emitting from the case deep.
I removed the flywheel and pulled the crank pulley rearward. The grinding sound went away. Push the pulley forward and it was much louder.

So, It appears that I get to tear down this build once again and see what the Fu(k went wrong.

I have a habit of turning the crank every time I add another component to an engine. That way I know if there is an issue or not.
On the final assembly of this engine. I did just that. It never gave me any indication that something was not right.

So, It's back to the drawing board, so to speak. Tear it down and see what I missed.
The sound is coming from the forward end of the engine (near the flywheel).
I'll find out what the issue is and get it corrected.
Luckily I have another set of bearings on hand.

Damn. This development just sucks. But It's my fault and I'll learn yet another hard lesson in stroker engine building.

Pics tomorrow.

Rant over!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Dang it Shocked Sorry man. Mad respect for you posting your emotions, challenges, and other. Look me up if I can help. I work on your side of town. I will be happy to do some grunt work if it helps.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I would say remove the pulley and see whats going on with the oil slinger. It's practically impossible to put the engine together with it backwards but you never know. Ive seen a few that were deeper than others, so if you had a weird one it might rub the case.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Dang it Shocked Sorry man. Mad respect for you posting your emotions, challenges, and other. Look me up if I can help. I work on your side of town. I will be happy to do some grunt work if it helps.

Thank you Xevin. I appreciate your kind offer.

I have to learn what I did incorrectly.

Regarding my failures and triumphs. It feels lately like there are more failures. Than anything else.

I do try to be rather transparent. So that hopefully my experiences can benefit someone in the future.

Of course some here. Take my hard learned lessons as incompetence. Far from the point. I learn by doing. If I make a mistake. I own up to the mistake.

Everything was measured. Before installation. I just don't get what I did incorrectly.

I'll get it sorted and running before 2025 Shocked

Have a great weekend.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I would say remove the pulley and see whats going on with the oil slinger. It's practically impossible to put the engine together with it backwards but you never know. Ive seen a few that were deeper than others, so if you had a weird one it might rub the case.

Hmm! I'll have to look at the pics on my phone and see what orientation the slinger is in.

Now you have me wondering!

The engine will still have to be torn down to correct the situation if that's what I did incorrectly.

Thank you for the advice.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Perhaps one of the cylinder studs has protruded into the case a little too far?
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Baaaah, that sucks man. You were getting so close! Its torturous, but keep your chin up, you will get there and this thing will be an animal.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Pulley hitting the tin?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Perhaps one of the cylinder studs has protruded into the case a little too far?

The head stud inserts are the blind hole type. Or whatever they are called.

When I install the studs. I bottom them and then back them out a turn so they are floating between the heads and the case.
Hope that makes sense.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
Pulley hitting the tin?

I would check this before pulling the whole engine apart. especially if you remember turning the engine over after bolting on each component.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
66brm wrote:
Pulley hitting the tin?

I would check this before pulling the whole engine apart. especially if you remember turning the engine over after bolting on each component.

I'll have a look in a bit. It's still a bit cold out.
Thank you Roy and 66BRM for the hint.

EDIT: I just went out and had a fresh look. You guy's nailed it.
I was tired last night and it sounded like the scrapping was coming from the forward end of the engine. Now that there's better light in the garage. I can see the fine aluminum filings on the pulley tin. Embarassed

But there is one thing that stood out. When I removed the flywheel. I noticed that the main seal appears to not be seated deeply enough into the case. I'll give it another light turn on the seal installer and double check. The seal was recessed just not deep enough.

Thanks again.

fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

My pulley hit the tin also. I ordered the pulley shim kit from CB instead of mangling the tin to get it spaced away from it. And hey, if anybody rips you for length of time on the build just remember my first 2276.....March of 2011 to June of 2017...hahahahahah..2332 took 2 months after that.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

It's probably my nature or twenty plus years working as a mechanic but one lesson I stand by is check the simple things first, as soon as you mentioned the push/pull of the crank affecting the noise then it's going to be crank related. Really glad it was the easiest fix.

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Waiting patiently for the video of cam break in Good luck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Waiting patiently for the video of cam break in Good luck

Sorry. No video of the complete break in.
I only have a 6 second clip at the end of the break in.

But I do now have a running 2180 sitting on the dolly.
After the brief moment of brain fade.
I took the cross bar off my DD and installed it on the engine. Primed the carbs. Cranked for oil pressure. Then connected the power to the coil.
Got a little popping from the engine. The realized that the firing order was out of whack. Embarassed Happens to the best too.
Reset the firing order and fired it off.
20 minutes later. I gave the throttle a couple of quick stabs.
This is going to be a fun engine. It revs very quick.... Well at least, sitting on the start dolly. We'll have to wait and see how it does under load.

I have to adjust the valves and change the oil. Then tune the Emporto carbs.

Thanks again everyone for your tireless support in this adventure. I could not have done it without your help and knowledge.

Have a great weekend.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 28

Jump to: