Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First stroker build 92X82
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Happy ending? Very Happy
FOR NOW, AT LEAST

Sometimes the jobs that fight you every step of the way do turn out the best.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

67rust, glad to see it. Look forward to hopefully running into you at Avery’s or the Woodburn show. Again good for you.

saw2
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Happy ending? Very Happy
FOR NOW, AT LEAST

Sometimes the jobs that fight you every step of the way do turn out the best.

I'm keeping the fingers crossed that I will not have to dive into this engine for a while.

I think the real fight was from within myself. Rather than the parts utilized for the build. I have never built anything like this. So I had a steep learning curve to overcome. But I did learn.
I used cheap parts and paid the price of buying better parts. When I should have just bought the better parts in the first place.
I paid for good parts and paid again for good parts. When my lack of knowledge ran out and and the part failed. <<< That was a tough lesson.

Can I do things better on the next build? Yep!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Applause Applause Applause Thanks for taking us on the journey with you. Inspirational brother. You just got another hole punched on your “Man card” Wink
Well done!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Perseverance furthers! Great read, thank you for sharing the build, joy, setbacks, problem solving, more joy, and the pics!
Great work!
Boa1277
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Great thread thanks for sharing. I learned a ton and hope to,one day build my own.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Boa1277 wrote:
Great thread thanks for sharing. I learned a ton and hope to,one day build my own.

If you're considering a stroker build. I suggest that you take your time and buy the best parts you can afford. OG VW parts are the best. But you have to move away from them when increasing displacement.
That being said, you have to be careful on the after market parts selection.
Cheap out on parts and you'll pay for the better parts in the end.
Ask me how I know this.

While some EMPI parts are acceptable. Make sure that you research what you intend to buy before plunking down your credit card info. If the purchase involves sheet (fan shrouds, cooling tins) metal or tubing (headers and heater boxes) look elsewhere. These parts plainly suck. I learned this the hard way.

Good Luck and enjoy the process. That first start makes it all worth the time and care you took to build your fire breathing beast.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Had a minor light to light dustup this morning. With a Tundra ( V8 ) and a Golf (V6) MK??

The Tundra driver was weaving in and out of traffic trying to get past everyone. When we all met up at a light. I blew the doors off the Tundra.
The chipped up, turbo'd MK?? had me.
Fn thing was pretty quick and damn loud!
I caught up the the MK at a light and gave him the thumbs up.
We'll meet again MK driver. Lol!

Have a great St. Patrick's Day.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Looks like someone got it on video Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

So it's been a few months daily driving this engine.
The performance is great. But damn it eats gas. Laughing
Driving impressions, The car gets up to speed with ease. Where with the older 1679. I had to rev the hell out of it to keep up with traffic. Now I just cruise through the gears and outrun traffic.

I ordered and installed a CSP EVO Completion exhaust. I got tired of fighting the shit EMPI header/heater box system I had initially installed. The fresh air tube connections were clocked so the fresh air tubes could not be installed.
The EVO exhaust. Comes complete with every fastener needed to install the exhaust. The heat exchanger "J" tubes are 42mm just like the rest of the header system.
Unlike the EMPI crap, that had 1.5" "J" tubes through the heat exhanger. Then the balance of the header was 1 5/8".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was having an issue with the CB Digital distributor. It kept crapping out at 5K RPM. I had the rev limiter set at 8K. So that was not the problem.
Installed a Bosch 009. And blew past the 5K crap out with ease. I don't have time to call CB and have Mark Lawless have a look at what's going on. Life gets in the way.
I would like to run my 010 distributor. But cannot because the 8.2mm CB spark plug wires will not work with the Bosch cap.
With the 009. I can use the Chevy type wire connectors thanks to Tabari.

There are a few minor oil leaks that need to be addressed in the fall. When I plan on pulling the engine and do a tin strip down/maintenance and check the general condition of things.

All in all. I'm pleased with the results of this learning/build experience.
The car is a joy to drive.

Thank you all again for the encouragement. When things were frustrating me. Or when I made a huge blunder that lead to a setback. Some would have just gave up. I did not.

To anyone considering building an engine of this sort. Listen to the pros here. Their advice is sound. They have all "been there. Done that."
I wasted a pile of money on shit parts that I bought. Thinking I knew better than the pros did. I was flat wrong in this thought process.

Good Luck y'll. Enjoy the holiday.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Nice!! Can’t wait to see you rip down the track this weekend Cool

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Left the staging area and bypassed the water box.
Tripped the prestage light, rolled forward a few inches and tripped the staged lights.
Once staged, I pulled the e-brake lever and eased out the clutch to load the trans.
Waited for the light count down and let up on the clutch pedal (not dump).
Went down the 1/4 mile for the first time in my 59yo life. What a thrill! Cool

First run,
R/T .761
60' 2.157
330' 6.120
1/8 9.445
MPH 74.89
1000' 12.284
ET 14.928
MPH 79.61 Embarassed I let up too early through the traps.

Second run was much better,
R/T .343
60' 2.044
330' 5.921
1/8 9.180
MPH 75.83
1000' 11.985
ET 14.413
91.73 Through the traps Smile

What a rush! Great time at the NW Bug Run.
I only did 2 runs. I DD my car and the elapsed time was all I was interested in.
At least I didn't red light. Laughing

Funny thing while in the staging lanes and approaching the lights, I was getting texts from Xevin and my other friends.
Geez can't a man just stage and race? Lol.
Pleasure meeting you today Xevin.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

That bug is bad ass. If I was building a bug for me. It would be exactly how 67rustavenger set it up. It’s sneaky fun and looks magnificent. Glad I met you brother, you are the real deal.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Sounds like you two had a great time! Glad the car did justice for you. You worked hard to get there. Good job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

That's pretty good for a "street car" Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
That bug is bad ass. If I was building a bug for me. It would be exactly how 67rustavenger set it up. It’s sneaky fun and looks magnificent. Glad I met you brother, you are the real deal.

Thanks dude. The idea behind the build was, stealth. I think I achieved that goal pretty well.
You really can't tell if you don't know what to look for. Like the bigass SS mufflers under the rear fenders. Laughing

Quote:

Sounds like you two had a great time! Glad the car did justice for you. You worked hard to get there. Good job!

We did indeed have a great time. Thanks! The build was a long, hard fought battle. That in the end met my expectations.
I was able to drive the car to the track, race a couple of rounds and drive home.

Quote:
That's pretty good for a "street car" Very Happy

Thanks Glen. I appreciate the complement.
As you know. I don't build engines for a living. So this build, however difficult it was for me, was a triumph for a garage hobbyist.

Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

That exhaust is most definitely itely expensive, but man it sure is sexy. Too bad it hides so well. Are you able to run a thermostat with it?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
That exhaust is most definitely itely expensive, but man it sure is sexy. Too bad it hides so well. Are you able to run a thermostat with it?

The quality of the CSP EVO SS exhaust system. Allows for the use of all the original cooling flaps and tins.
So yes. The thermostat and flaps are in place and functioning correctly.
Heater exchangers too. It gets cold here.

While the exhaust system is expensive. It is easy to install. Everything fits as designed. You get all the fasteners with the package. And there is no hassle installing the heat exchangers or the header.

The hiding of the exhaust. Is the fun part.
I want to be stealthy!
And then kick the crap out of the unsuspecting modern American (you name the brand!) muscle car. While driving a 53yo vintage aircooled antique car. Very Happy

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Emeraldlion wrote:

The quality of the CSP EVO SS exhaust system. Allows for the use of all the original cooling flaps and tins.
So yes. The thermostat and flaps are in place and functioning correctly.
Heater exchangers too. It gets cold here.

While the exhaust system is expensive. It is easy to install. Everything fits as designed. You get all the fasteners with the package. And there is no hassle installing the heat exchangers or the header.

The hiding of the exhaust. Is the fun part.
I want to be stealthy!
And then kick the crap out of the unsuspecting modern American (you name the brand!) muscle car. While driving a 53yo vintage aircooled antique car. Very Happy

Mission accomplished. You could totally kick the crap out of my Subaru wagon assembled in Indiana Wink it’s a great bug.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Read this entire thread over the last few days, and man what a roller coaster! Looks like perseverance won out in the end!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: