Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

When I originally tried to post, the message displayed as blank. Trying again in 2 portions...

Syncro Friends,

We are very excited to announce our 20th Anniversary event: Syncro Safari, Moab ’18!
Our very first Syncro Safari adventure was in Moab, Utah in 1998 as was our 10th anniversary event in 2008. Fast-forward to 2018…
Syncro Safari for 2018 will be the week beginning on Easter Sunday. April 1 and run through Saturday, April 7, 2018.

Here's some basic information below. More at: The www.SyncroSafari.org

Moab lies between the amazing national parks of Arches to the north and Canyonlands to the southeast.

DATES: Sunday, April 1 (Easter) to Saturday, April 7, 2018

WHO Can Attend: This year, breaking with a 10 Syncros limit, the event is open to up to 20 Syncros of those who register first. After discussing this event with several people, it definitely seemed there would be more interest than the 10 Syncros limit would accommodate and have made arrangement for 20.

CAMPING: We've made camping reservations for two group campsites along the Colorado River north of Moab called “Goose Island”. The sites are adjacent to each other, so we’ll be able to use as one combined site. Each site allows up to 10 vehicles. One site we were only able to reserve beginning April 2, so this is an issue we’ll need to still resolve.

4x4 TRIPS: Trips for this event are yet to be determined. They will be family-friendly 4-wheeling and not expected to bash your Syncro. We’ll expect to do 4-wheeling trips three times during the week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Having more then 10 Syncros attend will probably require our group to split up on different trails. We’ll know more once the trails are selected.

SCHEDULE:
4-1 Sunday – Arrive, greet friends, make camp.
4-2 Monday – 4x4 Syncro trip 1
4-3 Tuesday – Colorado River boat tour (Optional, $$ Extra)
4-4 Wednesday - 4x4 Syncro trip 2
4-5 Thursday – Free recreation day – nothing yet planned
4-6 Friday - 4x4 Syncro trip 3
4-7 Saturday – Depart

COSTS:
The cost for camping is the only cost associated directly with the Syncro Safari event. This will be $95 per Syncro. The optional 3-hour Colorado River tour will be paid separately and later if you decide to participate. Estimated cost for this is $100/person.

OTHER STUFF:
We are planning a Taco Night group meal, digital photo scavenger hunts, raffle prizes, dance night and more.

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

Continued from above...

REGISTRATION PROCESS:
Registration will open on Sunday, December 10th at 5:00PM Pacific time.

We can't predict how long it will take to accept 20 Syncros. Last Syncro Safari, all the spots were filled within minutes. If you're serious about attending, set your clock to send the email to me at just the right time.

Syncro Safari, Moab '18 is limited to only 20 Syncros. If you'd like to participate, follow the registration process. If the event is full, you'll be placed on the waiting list. We usually have at least one or two cancellations / no-shows, so the waiting list is definitely useful.

Registration is available for those who can commit to participate for the entire event, beginning on Sunday, April 1 through Saturday, April 7. If the spots don't get taken after a while, part-time attendance might be arranged.

Registration works like this: Five easy steps...

1. Check out the information about this trip and previous Syncro Safaris. Decide that you'd like to participate and have a great time. www.SyncroSafari.org

2. Once registration opens on Sunday, Dec 10th at 5:00PM Pacific, email me (Jim Davis) at [email protected] (you can Reply to this email) and say that you would like to attend and you'd like one of the available spots.

3. If a spot is available, I will let you know and email you the following:
A. Registration Form
B. "Bring List - Personal Items"
C. "Bring List - 4x4 Items"
D. "Vehicle Prep List"
E. "Don't Bring List"
F. "Ecological Values"
G. My mailing address and the on-line registration link

(Steps 4 & 5 would then be "on hold" for waiting list entries.)

4. You print and complete the Registration Form and mail (old fashioned snail mail) two things:
A. Completed Registration Form
B. Your share of the costs: Not more than $95/Syncro

OR
4a. Complete on-line registration with the link and password that will be provided in the registration packet email.

5. I will email you confirmation that I've received your form and camping fee and that your spot is secured.

Cancellations: Please consider these costs to be non-refundable. If you must cancel, and IF a replacement is found for your spot, then all or part of your money may be returned. There's no guarantee of finding a replacement, so please understand that your money may not be refunded if you can't attend.

Still more next...

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

Continued from above. 3 of 3 posts:

BE PREPARED

1. You'll be expected to bring gear as indicated on the
4x4 Vehicle "Bring List" http://www.syncrosafari.org/4x4-items.html
and make certain your vehicle is in shape for the adventure, but reviewing the
Vehicle Preparation List: http://www.syncrosafari.org/vehicle-preparation.html
Since a breakdown or getting stuck will result in delays for the entire group, we want to be as prepared as possible for these circumstances. Once trail plans are finalized, more specifics will be provided on what's absolutely required and if any items might be optional.

2. Proper personal items are important. Please come prepared with these:
Personal Items List http://www.syncrosafari.org/personal-items-list.html

The www.SyncroSafari.org website has some additional details about the trip.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

It sure would be nice if this was closer to Syncro Solstice so anyone traveling from far away could attend both.
This one looks like a lot of fun! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

I'd love to get to Solstice sometime too. The only criteria for when this event is scheduled is when my wife Deanne has Easter break at her school! Smile

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

I know you likely know and checked but the Jeepers have an annual Easter Moab event.. just watch out. they'll be thicker than usual on the roads and trails.
http://www.rr4w.com/event-details.cfm?eventid=10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

Yes, the Easter Jeep Safari is quite an extravaganza! We did Syncro Safari by attending their event in 1998. In part, Syncro Safari was named after the Easter Jeep Safari. Loved it, but the event swells the Moab population by thousands.

Syncro Safari 2018 begins April 1st, the same day the Easter Jeep Safari ENDS. There will still be some people staying over but drastically fewer than during the event.

Can't wait to get to Moab again and to show it to many that have never been there.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

There are many named and documented trails in the Moab area and I've been on a number of them with our Syncro. I'd be interested to hear what trails other would recommend we include in this event. I'd like to keep away from the bash-your-Syncro class of trails, so those that have a challenge and are most scenic and interesting.

Suggestions...?

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

hans_j made this map of trails around Moab that might be helpful:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15Sb2zzRn...75&z=9

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

Newspaper Rock is a must see and it is on the way to Indian Creek which is a treat in the desert.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Register Dec 10th Reply with quote

A friendly reminder to all those considering participating.

Registration opens SUNDAY, DEC 10th at 5:00PM. Exclamation Shocked
This event is limited to the first 20 who complete registration and some years this fills up in minutes. So, it you want to go, get your email to me ready. Instructions in original posts.

Regards,
Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Register Dec 10th Reply with quote

It's 5:00PM Pacific Time right now. Very Happy

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Register Dec 10th Reply with quote

Three spots left now.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Register Dec 10th Reply with quote

Looking fwd to desert camping after a long Seattle Winter....
2 spots left Exclamation

Wink Wink Cool

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Register Dec 10th Reply with quote

One spot left now...

There will probably be cancellations by April, so a waiting list will be kept and likely used.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Trails? Reply with quote

We are planning on doing several trails in the area. One I enjoyed in 1998 that I'd like to do again is Secret Spire.

I have the "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails" book by Wells that has details of the last 1.8 miles to the spire.

Does anyone have detailed directions for this trail that start before the last couple of miles? I'm considering making it a loop and using different approach and return routes, so I need more details about the roads leading to the Secret Spire vicinity.

Thanks!

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 - Trails? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
We are planning on doing several trails in the area. One I enjoyed in 1998 that I'd like to do again is Secret Spire.

I have the "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails" book by Wells that has details of the last 1.8 miles to the spire.

Does anyone have detailed directions for this trail that start before the last couple of miles? I'm considering making it a loop and using different approach and return routes, so I need more details about the roads leading to the Secret Spire vicinity.

Thanks!

Jim

I've led groups there a couple times. You will have to backtrack some because it is all dead end passed the Spire. See if this site will help you.

https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=42
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

I've mapped a lot of that area in google maps for Syncro Solstice. Joe posted the link to the map above. If you open it in your smart phone, you should be able to see yourself on the map with the trails.

There is a LOT of route finding on the small trails, especially if it goes across slickrock. Watch for cairns and look ahead to see tracks in the sand.

I did this route last year and it was pretty awesome. I don't know what snow level will be in April though: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/0047ce33...esatellite

You might be able to navigate in that site to see the other dirt roads I've driven, there's quite a bit in that area. Conditions change almost daily, so you never know what the road will be until you are driving it.

There are lots of roads to drive in the Secret Spire area, they will be long if you want to make a loop. I've driven most of the major roads, but one I want to do is the Easter Jeep Safari route to Crystal Geyser. White Wash Sand Dunes is also a cool place to drive, but last time I drove through there was a high possibility of sinking in mud!

I limit my groups to 5 these days, especially the smaller trails. There are only enough spots to park 6-8 vans at Dellenbaugh Tunnel. Maybe 13 at the Secret Spire on my map (there are two Secret Spires...).Maybe 9 spots at Tower Arch if you pack everyone in. Sego Canyon Rock art area might be able to handle all 20 if you use the lot that's around the corner and if the gate just up the road is open. But you won't fit 20 at Sego Ghost Town.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7, 2018 Reply with quote

Thank you Jael and Hans!

Especially useful is the info about amount of parking space at the sites.

What do you mean about "two Secret Spires"? I'm confused.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Syncro Safari - Moab '18 - April 1-7 - ONE SPOT OPEN Reply with quote

Hi Syncronauts,

We’ve had a cancellation form one of our participants for Syncro Safari, Moab ’18 and the waiting list is now empty.

This means that now ONE SPOT has just opened. This trip is in less than 3 weeks, with the plan to arrive at Camp Syncro near Moab on Sunday, April 1 (Easter) for this week-long adventure. Please see information on the trip here:

https://www.syncrosafari.org/moab-18---overview.html

… and contact me ASAP at [email protected] if you’d like the spot.

Regards,
Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: