Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anybody here run WVO in their diesel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Does anybody here run WVO in their diesel? Reply with quote

I bought a diesel vanagon this fall. I put about 1000 mi on it before the snow started falling and I parked it to spare it from the salt. Anyhow, the van is converted to run on WVO, and I'm pretty smitten by it. I found a good source for oil, so that's a no-problem. I make a habit of running regular diesel until the coolant is up to temp, and then for about the last 2-3 miles of my trip in order to clear the lines of wvo, and to decoke, as the PO advised me to do. This van has run WVO for thousands of miles prior to my purchase, so I feel like the PO knew what worked, but I'm interested to know what others experiences have been with WVO. I've have heard some not-so-happy stories about carbon and sludge build up, requiring engine tear downs, but others say that only happens if you're not doing it right. What say you all?
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who run WVO in his rabbit truck and his main concern is the fuel pump. WVO work the fuel pump harder than diesel. I also make a few batch of biodiesel and its not that hard if you have space and a bit of time.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped working on WVO powered vehicles in my shop. It's like working in a composter. I don't mind if someone makes bio-diesel in their garage at home, but I've not yet seen a properly converted vehicle that they're willing to pay to have fixed. I've sent a pump out to a local rebuilder and it was returned to me in the same package it left in. They wouldn't touch it either.
By the way, I'm a diesel fan, everything I own except my motorcycle is an oil burner. I even converted an Iltis to diesel and ran it on 40% WVO or used motor oil or tranny fluid from my shop (mixed with diesel). It worked great.
My 2c, Jeff
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, before people get confused: WVO is not the same a biodiesel. WVO is just filtered food grade oil, Biodiesel is non-petrochemical fuel-grade oil.
I have not used WVO, though I have used thousands of gallons of BD. I have read/heard that the pump used in VW diesels, being internally lubricated, is not as robust at handling alternative fuels as others (such as Mercedes, lubricated by engine oil). The other issue is the prechamber design, along with nozzle characteristics, that leads to worse coking.
If anything, I think I would stick to blends or BD, or maybe only use WVO on long highway runs...

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now run 3 VW's including my 1.9 l diesel transporter for a total amount of 300,000 kms with zero problems other than having to replace both fuel filters every 6-8 months or so. The engine that is my 97 Jetta TDI was in a friends car [body was shot, installed it into a GLX). It had run for 100,000kms before I pulled it, before installing into the new[ish] body I pulled the injection pump apart to see if there was any wear. Other than a light brown film, there was nothing wrong, all I did was reseal it. The key is to have well filtered and de watered WVO before putting it into the vehicle. I even use it down to -20oC as long as I will time to purge it before getting to where I'm going. There are many naysayers-they are wrong;I have years of proof that it works>,oh and change your motor oil often- I change mine every 4000kms with Rotella t6
BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been around WVO burning cars for a few years now at the shop I work at and we have had a few shop cars that ran on it as well as about a dozen regular customers running on it.

The biggest problem with WVO powered cars is low quality fuel, caused by improper filtration, among other things it can/will cause premature wear on the injection pump/ fuel delivery system.

we collect oil and filter it mostly because we heat our building with it, but also for our shop cars and for sale to customers.

we start by straining the oil multiple times to get rid of any solids in it. Then we run it though our centrifuge to remove the water and anything else that should not be in the oil.

It does work best when best in a vehicle that is set up to pre-heat the oil before running it through the engine. Purging the system with diesel a few minutes before shutting the engine down is a must!

Also like any Diesel engine, WVO is not meant for short trip city driving. the engine must be able to get hot.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it comes down to a combination of the individual (him or herself), the resources available to them, and within their budget, and a sincere desire to fiddle with stuff.

If any of the above are lacking it's a no-go. . .

Personally, I'm short on at least two of the above requirements Very Happy and so have removed the entire bunch of related paraphernalia. My plan is to put diesel into it when required and move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSLEE wrote:

Purging the system with diesel a few minutes before shutting the engine down is a must!

Are you saying this because you don't want to have veg oil in the lines in a cold start up situation, or does the diesel clean injectors and other stuff during this purge period?

Thanks everybody for your input!

My van was, in my opinion, set up very well for running WVO. It is not a Greasecar conversion, but a home built setup. The tank is heated, the pickup in the tank is also heated, the supply and return lines are heated, and even the filter is heated. The supply line from the filter to the pump is insulated, but not heated. It uses a tank change-over solenoid from a dual tank Ford PU, so all you have to do to switch it over is to flip a toggle switch on the dash when the coolant temp is up. The only problem I had in running is that I blocked up a filter once. I had filtered the oil with a 10 micron sock filter before putting it into the tank. I guess I'll get some 5 micron filters next time. I bought this thing toward the end of October, and left town after Thanksgiving and haven't used it since. When spring comes, I'll be back to Maine and I'll be able to work with it some more
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already have a good WVO setup but why not just mix biodiesel w/ WVO for short drives? Most of my commute is less than 30min drive. It takes really 10-15min to warm up, then couple mins to purge the system, so I would be using 10-15 min of straight WVO if i had a diesel motor. But i do wish i had a diesel vanagon. Smile

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSLEE wrote:
The biggest problem with WVO powered cars is low quality fuel, caused by improper filtration, among other things it can/will cause premature wear on the injection pump/ fuel delivery system.

Yeah, my van was previously owned by an idealistic young man who just dumped used fryer oil directly into the tank, gonna save the world one french fry at a time. I got it back running but had to get the injectors and pump rebuilt and of course cleaned the tank and new filter. Lots more than that of course, but that's all the fuel related stuff (which was basically the entire fuel system).
I'm gonna figure on having an efficient vehicle, maybe use a little blended fuel and consider that good for now.
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dampcamper wrote:

Yeah, my van was previously owned by an idealistic young man who just dumped used fryer oil directly into the tank, gonna save the world one french fry at a time.

wow! Shocked I can't believe someone would think they could get away with that.

I may end up making biodiesel, which I could run in my Golf as well. A few years ago, I looked into doing this, but was discouraged when I found out that these days, at least in my area, most restaurants have contracts with firms that buy their WVO. It seemed like the good old days of free WVO were over. I have a couple of places lined up now which will ( I think) more than meet my needs. I also hope to heat my shop and maybe run my household oil furnace with the stuff. I don't have any notions that I have hit upon the solution to the world's energy problems, but as I make it a habit of doing things the hard way in all aspects of my life, it appeals to me at least right now.

As far as the warm up period prior to switching over to WVO, I've been surprised with how brief it is. Most of my driving is 30 min or less, but in above freezing temps, I find that I can switch over in under 5 minutes of driving. I start the van and let it idle for 2-3 minutes, then head down my road, which is fairly hilly. Since the thing works so hard to go even modest speeds, it warms up quickly, and the temp gauge is right there in it's happy zone in the middle of the gauge. My TDI Golf takes sooooo long to come to temp, you'd think the thermostat was stuck open, but it isn't.

Thanks again all!
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two vans, an 82 Westy 1.6 NA (called the PHOENIX) and an 83 GL 7-pass with a 1.6TD out of a quantum. I've been running WVO in the GL for about 7 years... it's a handbuilt kit, like yours, and it's worked fine for roughly 30K miles. In the PHOENIX, I installed a used Greasecar kit last year, with the round tank in place of the spare tire clamshell (gets the heat and "aroma" out of the van!) about 10K miles so far... once to Acadia NP, and once to Dear Island/Stonington area

I've never had ANY serious engine trouble with either of these although I will get caught once in a while forgetting to purge, and leaving me a lot of cranking to get the WVO out of the system berfore it'll start.

I tore down the 1.6TD motor a bit ago, due to a rod knock... there was NO WVO residue on pistons or rings... it was as clean or cleaner than any decent running diesel motor on petrodiesel I've torn down.

I also have a TDI passat wagon that has a Greasecar kit in it... and it's not been so easygoing... I'm having issues with it, that may or may not be caused by using WVO... (remains to be seen when I get a chance to work on it)

The main thing, as stated in an above reply, is to have perfectly clean and dry WVO and use only 10 micron or smaller filters. I can tell you where to eat in the DC area, based on the oil I collect. I'll drive an 80 mile round trip once a month to get my best oil... which I could use in my kitchen if I choose to, as it comes to me that clean to start with... it's medium golden brown, and has no animal fats in it... (vegetarian restaurant)...

Feel free to PM me, as I have a friend in ME that does WVO in his Westy... He may have some further ideas for you. regards, Steve
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked on several injection pumps that had WVO run through them and all of them had a significant layer of buildup on all of the internal parts.
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Andrew,

How's life?

I've never had to take my pumps apart (yet)... they seen to keep working... I do have a spare NA and TD pump on hand... just in case in do some day

(BTW, I still haven't had a chance to upgrade the PHOENIX to that 5 speed and JX motor I got out of that orange hitop... The motor's almost done, it made a good winter project...it was good chatting that day a year ago this past weekend!)

Regards,
Steve
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running wvo in my suburban for quite a while. I filtered and heated like crazy. It was a fun project, ran fine and smelled great but was a PITA. I found it very time consuming. Sure, I felt great flipping the bird to big oil but you're left with oily, sludgy, filter medium (bags, socks, paint strainers, whatever) which I found difficult to clean and/or dispose of properly. I had planned to convert my 1.6TD to wvo but when my Suburban died a non-wvo-related death, I just couldn't justify the time commitment. Again, the biggest drag for me was the sludgy filtrate. Oh, and that time suck. I'm way too busy now to think about wvo. I also have a rebuilt ALH in my Syncro and wouldn't let wvo near that type or my common-rail engine. Those who do... more power to you! Not for me. I'll sometimes treat my van to some pump-purchased BioD from reputable dealers.

I read, years ago, of making biofuel out of algae. If there is someone doing this commercially THAT would be way cool!
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody here run WVO in their diesel? Reply with quote

I have a 1.9 T from a jetta running in my van, 6 months so far all is good. with a veggie kit (Plant Drive system).

I let raw wvo sit for at least 1 month before adding to wvo 40 gallon drum.
I filter all my wvo through a coarse window mesh screen and then a "one micron" sock as its added to the 1st oil drum.
I then let gravity settle water out in the joined separate oil drums, oil overflows from one to the other. (1 micron filter between each tank also!.

I had a fresh rebuilt injection pump put in at same time, I plan to pull and inspect at 12 months.

I always warm up about 10 mins or when engine temp is at normal high.
I turn off wvo in the city as I do see the engine cool down at lights etc.
I live on Vancouver Island and going surfing 50km each way is so much more enjoyable for me and the planet..

I need a new tranny! Dk or from an 1980-83 air cooled vanagon fits best!

cheers
all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody here run WVO in their diesel? Reply with quote

I run wvo in my AAZ. Been doing it for years. No problems noticed yet. Heated tank, separate heated fuel filter and inline filter before injection pump. Two tank system.
Usually only a few minutes of driving is enough heat to switch over to wvo from diesel. Electric solenoids. Built my own system.

Downside is it’s a lot of work not getting everything greasy! And carrying wvo on long trips takes up a lot of space in the van.
mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody here run WVO in their diesel? Reply with quote

I am running wvo and I am coming down in October from Canada through WA, OR, CA. maybe Arizona, Ut

do any of you guys/girls have clean wvo I could buy on the road?

thanks

Matt
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody here run WVO in their diesel? Reply with quote

i ran over 140K miles on WVO on a 1990 Jetta with the 1.6L NA. nary an issue, pulled the heads off after about 100K for a head gasket issue and there was just a light coating of soot on the piston tops. but i ran it right, warming up the engine fully before switching over and fully purging before stopping.

heated tank, heated fuel lines, heated filter, heated injector lines. could run on WVO at -30F!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: