Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help won't start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: help won't start Reply with quote

so I bought a 78 bus yesterday and tryed to get it to start. the fuel pump wasn't working so hooked one up I have laying around seems to.be getting fuel at injectors. (I cracked the lines) but it won't start and for some reason I can't get the rotor to point to the number one cylinder. I've removed the dizzy and cranked it to tdc on cyl #1 but it always lined up at #2 how do I fix this? it only sputters and back fires I can't get it to start. any help is appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

I also suspect bad fuel which I'll be draining take and replacing tomorrow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

if this is a mystery bus that you've never see running, pull the right side
valve cover, turn the alternator pulley nut clock wise & watch the intake valve on
#1 cylinder close. This should have the #1 piston near TDC, look at
the rotor, which ever terminal post it is pointing at IS the #1 plug wire.
People err when dropping in the distributor drive dowel, so having the
rotor 'pointing' at what you believe should be the tower for #1 wire is a
common mistake.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

The firing order is 1, 4, 3, 2 clockwise and the cylinder positions are

--Front--
--3---1--
--4---2--
--Rear--

All your wires may be out of position or just two of them. As mentioned when both valves on the #1 cylinder are closed at TDC then the rotor should be pointing to the #1 wire. The importance of checking the valves can not be over stated, without doing that you are just shooting in the dark.
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

okay put new fuel it and she runs. is it a bad idea to get power from my coil for fuel pump?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

slammed sickness wrote:
okay put new fuel it and she runs. is it a bad idea to get power from my coil for fuel pump?

The fuel pump is supplied with power by the Fuel Pump Relay half of the double relay, seems a no brainer to keep with a system that works well.
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

it's not getting power from there. is there a fuse or relay that controls the injectors?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

slammed sickness wrote:
it's not getting power from there. is there a fuse or relay that controls the injectors?

The fuel injection gets its power from the Fuel Injection Relay side of the double relay and the FI relay is triggered by the #15 ignition circuit on the coil. Power for both the FI and FP relay comes from the #30 (B+) circuit.
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

okay I didn't think the injectors were working but they are. I can get the bus to fire off for a few seconds if I pin the throttle. it's sputtering and spitting then dies. almost sounds like a misfire or something.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

A cold engine will start off the Cold Start Valve and then die over a period of several seconds if the injectors don't fire or the fuel pump doesn't keep running. Cleaning the FI grounds under the 3-4 manifold runners is a good place to start.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

Fuel injection manual

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

thanks for all the info. can you post a pic of manifold runners? I'm new to these 2.0s used to upright motors. I got it fired and half ass running long enough to get it up to our storage. I belive timing is off tho it's not 180 out. and fuel pump might not be pushing enough fuel. one of the main problems was a plastic/ rubber hose that runs length ways on top of the engine was unhooked. plugged it in and it fired
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

do you.know what this box is?no wires are hooked up to it in the bottom picture there's is a blue wire that I noticed was unhooked. does it go to that box? thanks
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

That's your voltage regulator. There should be a plug coming from the alternator, which goes in the bottom there. That blue wire you see connects to the blue wire on the plug and goes to your alternator light in the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

okay that makes sense previous owner (guy I work with) replaced with a alternator From one of his other rigs and must not have needed it. he was driving it around when I was younger but its been off the road sense 09 so I'm just trying to go threw everything and get it going good
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

are 2.0 distributors the same as one for 1600s and such?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

slammed sickness wrote:
are 2.0 distributors the same as one for 1600s and such?

Yes and no:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

I'm assuming the one I have in there will work being the motor started with it in there. I just didn't know if they had any significant differences. it had a dist. with vacuum advance and point's and thats what I replaced it with
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

There are four basic ACVW distributors: vacuum advance only, Single Vacuum Dual Advance, Dual Vacuum Dual Advance, and the notorious mechanical only 009 and its copies. Within each of these are many variations. In general the closer you can get to the dizzy that matches your fuel system the better the engine will perform.

I have a generic dual vacuum can on my Vanagon 2.1L WBXer with a 83 1/2 vintage Digijet FI system, which I bought on eBay that I have no idea what it was specced for and certainly isn't an exact match for my system, but it works way better than a blown out vacuum can did. I spent hours looking up the specs for the various new cans I could find on eBay and bought the can that seemed closest to the factory can.
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: help won't start Reply with quote

hey if it works it works right? haha yeah the one that was in the bus when I got it was burnt up (installed wrong power from cool to green wire) and we had on rebuilt one sitting in the shop so I put that one in
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: