Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

I checked the timing and since I have a pertronix it shouldn't change.

I found it difficult to see the timing mark through the small hole with this autozone light I have. I checked it a few years ago and don't recall having trouble seeing the timing mark . I made a tool that is like a pointer so I don't need to sight the pointer so far from the marks . I do need new glasses.

I recall some remove the gen pulley cover and aim their light through there.

I have the 5 degree mark painted and it was on 5 degrees . I just wonder if it might have something to do with the winter blend fuel .

It might have been some glass bottles I had in the cargo area and drove the car further than usual that day . Never heard the ping sound until the last stop to home about a mile away on the drive home .
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

What year? (needed to know the timing setting).

Yes, aiming the light through the gen cover helps, as does painting the correct notch white or yellow.

Did you check it with any distributor vacuum hoses off and plugged?

If it's a square, drive down a clean road with the lid off and all windows open. You will hear the pinging better. Or drive next to a freeway K-rail so you hear it echo off it as you drive.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
What year? (needed to know the timing setting).

Yes, aiming the light through the gen cover helps, as does painting the correct notch white or yellow.

Did you check it with any distributor vacuum hoses off and plugged?

If it's a square, drive down a clean road with the lid off and all windows open. You will hear the pinging better. Or drive next to a freeway K-rail so you hear it echo off it as you drive.

It's a 73 FI Auto trans . The vacuum advance hasn't worked in years.

I just drove it today and it does not always ping , when it does it really stands out . The engine was not even really warmed up.

I'm driving along normal street traffic and it has good pickup , if I let it shift into second then give it gas is when I hear it yet it doesn't do it all the time and never did it except for last friday and not until I has at the last stop a mile away driving home. That day the engine was warmed up .

Since it does not always happen I'm thinking maybe the mechanical advance weights might stick or do not return . The idle speed does not go up and who knows at idle it may not, even if the weights stick.

Now that it's colder out maybe 68 today .

A while back it would ping for a second if I took off fast I'd hear maybe three slight pings. Now when it happens it's a steady ping.

I have another dist that I cleaned and lubed with no wear. The only way to know is pull the one in it out and check the advance weights for binding or wear .
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not being clear.

This ping just came out of no where , no warning same fuel . It doesn't feel like a lack of fuel . I don't keep on the throttle for more than a few seconds when it happens and then next stop or slowing down enough so it shifts back into 1st , then into second I try it again and say 1 3rd of the time it will ping.

I heard it twice today , then did as above and heard it . When it doesn't happen I hear no noise.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:

Since it does not always happen I'm thinking maybe the mechanical advance weights might stick or do not return . The idle speed does not go up and who knows at idle it may not, even if the weights stick.

If the mechanical advance weights were sticking in the advanced position, your idle speed would increase significantly. Different scenario, but same theory is that with my auto/carb/dist combo, I am running manifold vacuum to the dist (SVDA). Since manifold vacuum is very high at idle, there's a huge difference in idle speed when connecting or disconnecting the vacuum line to the dist. Because of this, I had to develop my own method for syncing and adjusting the carbs.

So long story, short, if your timing is advanced by any means, your idle speed will increase.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
blues90 wrote:

If the mechanical advance weights were sticking in the advanced position, your idle speed would increase significantly. Different scenario, but same theory is that with my auto/carb/dist combo, I am running manifold vacuum to the dist (SVDA). Since manifold vacuum is very high at idle, there's a huge difference in idle speed when connecting or disconnecting the vacuum line to the dist. Because of this, I had to develop my own method for syncing and adjusting the carbs.

So long story, short, if your timing is advanced by any means, your idle speed will increase.

That's what I think . Here comes the rub . You have an auto trans if I recall and this is the 73 T-3 you have with the T-4 engine and carbs.

On my 73 with the auto trans and fuel injection many times the electric AAR does not close and I see 1500 RPM , put it in drive it drops to 950 and I don't feel anything , the only way is if I hold the brake then press on the gas and it takes a bit before I feel it pull . If I had a manual trans I'd see it right away or hear it.

I have no idea what changed so sudden . All I know is it sure sounds like a loud ping and it comes and goes and only happens in 2nd gear when I try to bring it up to speed faster . Then I either slow down so it shifts to 1st or stop then start moving again it shifts to 2nd and I either hear it again or it's back to normal and I hear no noise or ping or what ever it is. It's impossible to miss since it really stands out.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

I connected the timing light and let it warm up and plugged the AAR line to the oil bath because it will not close fully yet enough where it does not affect the idle speed much at all .

I looked through the gen belt cover and when idle was 950 the timing was at 7.5 BTDC if I slowed the idle down it sat at 5 BTDC.

Now if I opened the throttle I could see it advance and even though the idle speed dropped to 950 the timing was still advanced pretty far past the 7.5 BTDC mark and very slowly would return to 5 BTDC . Took at least 2 or 3 minutes without timing it to drop back to 5 BTDC .

I know it used to drop right back to 5 BTDC right away and even making certain the throttle was fully closed . Now doing the same thing the advance is still far to much and it does not have a decell deal on the throttle juast the spring and it does return fully .

I pulled the Dist and am now ready to remove the advance plate to see what could be going on .

If I don't find anything hanging up what else could cause this. I checked for any loose tin and found nothing .

When you close the throttle the timing should return to 5 BTDC right away shouldn't it?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

Yes, it should happen immediately and consistently. Sounds like you are on the right track taking the distributor apart.

I had a timing problem that I traced to my distributor:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680557

I haven't taken my old one apart yet, but I will and take lots of photos (I know, doesn't help you now!). But search--- there have been a couple of great threads with photos laying out all the parts, so you can follow along. There are also hints for finding shims and spacers you may need.

For mine, I suspect a broken spring or mount, since my timing just kept increasing as rpms increased, way past the normal limit.

I would read up in Bentley and figure out what is correct for your car and transmission. Then get the correct vacuum can and set it all by the book.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yes, it should happen immediately and consistently. Sounds like you are on the right track taking the distributor apart.

I had a timing problem that I traced to my distributor:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680557

I haven't taken my old one apart yet, but I will and take lots of photos (I know, doesn't help you now!). But search--- there have been a couple of great threads with photos laying out all the parts, so you can follow along. There are also hints for finding shims and spacers you may need.

For mine, I suspect a broken spring or mount, since my timing just kept increasing as rpms increased, way past the normal limit.

I would read up in Bentley and figure out what is correct for your car and transmission. Then get the correct vacuum can and set it all by the book.

I took the original Dist apart in 2009 it's a 311 905 205AH and cleaned it and lubed it . This is the one that my car came with . It has no wear and I got shims and the fiber washers from Glenn Ring and replaced the worn ones mostly the fiber ones were hard and falling apart.

The 72 engine I rebuilt was the exact same case as the orig 73 both are FI auto trans.

I am using it since I know it's in good shape . I cleaned the advance plate on the AF I had in the car and lubed it and installed it in the AH since I use Pertronix the braided ground lead was right where the pertronix base needs to fit . Both plates fit the same they are just a different design. Everything else is the same even the numbers on the upper shaft that moves with the weights.

I haven't been able to find a vac can for it. 505 stamped on the arm.

Later I'll take the AF apart and see what it needs.

I also ran printer paper between the trigger contacts and they had grease on them and lightly lubed the trigger cam with Bosch dist grease.

I just hope this was the problem . It does seem it is since the advance would not snap back to the 5 BTDC and I do know it used to.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

My hesitation about using what you have stems from the late emission-driven changes in ignition that VW made, especially for automatics, and even worse, for those destined for California. I believe they monkeyed with static timing, as well as the dual vacuum advance, so a mixture may or may not work well for your engine. This was not well documented in manuals.

Do you have the EGR system? Vacuum spark limiting until in high gear? More complications to deal with!
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
My hesitation about using what you have stems from the late emission-driven changes in ignition that VW made, especially for automatics, and even worse, for those destined for California. I believe they monkeyed with static timing, as well as the dual vacuum advance, so a mixture may or may not work well for your engine. This was not well documented in manuals.

Do you have the EGR system? Vacuum spark limiting until in high gear? More complications to deal with!

Phil , what do you mean by your hesitation about using what I'm using?

It is a Calif car and had an EGR which I removed . The 72 Dist did have a dual advance can yet the advance didn't work . What came on my car a 73 was the AH Dist and a single can advance only and that is what was listed on the old volks home. The engines were the exact same thing the only diff was the Dist and the throttle body had a pipe for the EGR I used the 72 throttle body , it was all the same thing other than the pipe and had an extra port for the can retard which I capped off . There is no spark advance limiting in high gear which some models had in the trans mine just has the kick down wire.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

OK, that narrows it down a bit... the less late model smog crap on it the better! Fewer variables and less to go wrong and interact. Be sure the EGR is blocked off (both exhaust and intake ends, and no vacuum leaks).

You must still have an ignition advance defect, and taking the unit apart, deburring, shimming, and lubing should restore it to good function.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

You might check and see if Jim Adney has a good 505 vacuum can.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
OK, that narrows it down a bit... the less late model smog crap on it the better! Fewer variables and less to go wrong and interact. Be sure the EGR is blocked off (both exhaust and intake ends, and no vacuum leaks).

You must still have an ignition advance defect, and taking the unit apart, deburring, shimming, and lubing should restore it to good function.

When you say above an ignition advance defect , is that defect or defeat? If defect then you are talking about the distributor itself and if so I have rebuilt the AH 73 dist . If defeat there is no advance defeat on this car from the trans or vacuum . Some models had a valve for the dual advance, retard can .

It had the EGR I removed it years ago . It consisted of the valve which bolted to a flange on the right heat exchanger . I removed the valve and blocked off that port with a metal plate I made along with a metal gasket the same one used for carbed engine heat risers . Most T-3 later tin has a opening on the right side front it's about 1 1/2" square . The Intake end was a flanged pipe right on top of the IAD just back of the throttle valve , there's a photo of it in my gallery . I used the IAD from the 72 which didn't have that port rather than making a plate to seal it off. Then there was a EGR relay that controlled the valve when to open or not . I unplugged it and removed it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

Ok, so EGR is cleanly removed, good!

I say an ignition advance "defect" because it isn't consistently snapping back to the same, correct advance point. This should be repeatable and correct. So I suspect the distributor still, since this is not happening. As suggested here(?) or on the T3 list, lower the idle below 850 rpm to be sure there is no mechanical advance happening, then try the same test... see if it returns to the same point as soon as idle speed is down. If not, something is sticking or broken and needs attention.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Ok, so EGR is cleanly removed, good!

I say an ignition advance "defect" because it isn't consistently snapping back to the same, correct advance point. This should be repeatable and correct. So I suspect the distributor still, since this is not happening. As suggested here(?) or on the T3 list, lower the idle below 850 rpm to be sure there is no mechanical advance happening, then try the same test... see if it returns to the same point as soon as idle speed is down. If not, something is sticking or broken and needs attention.

I installed the AH dist I rebuilt today . connected the light , set the dist right where the old one was and it started right up . I let it warm up and checked the timing without resetting the idle speed and set it to 5 BTDC. Opened the throttle and it did return to 5 , not in an instant yet within a second . Then I dropped the idle to 850 and it was a hair below 5 BTDC and returned the same . I set the idle to 900 .

An hour later I drove it and the idle was at 800 and in 1st gear I stepped on it and heard a slight ping . The next stop then idle was back to 900 and I heard no ping . I tried several times in 1st and second it seemed fine.

The issue is if it sits when I stopped at a store for about 30 minutes the idle was back to 850 I stepped on it in 1st not ping yet I thought i head a ping for an instant when I started it without being in drive.

Also it has this 50 to 100 RPM up and down you could say hunt that's been there for some time in park and even though I dropped the idle speed even before the Dist deal . Sometimes it's steady most times it's not.

I couldn't drive it far because all the traffic this time of day. It's better yet not right yet.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

How are your plug wires? Each side's pairs run close to each other and you might have cross-firing, which can make it ping or miss. Bad SP connectors can make this more likely, too.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
How are your plug wires? Each side's pairs run close to each other and you might have cross-firing, which can make it ping or miss. Bad SP connectors can make this more likely, too.

I replaced the wires with a new set a few years back as well as the cap and rotor all Bosh parts . You just reminded me I forgot to place the 1 & 2 wires back in their holder on top of the case vent .

Replacing the wires didn't help anything nor did the cap and rotor . It didn't ping then . This insane ping crap only showed up last Friday never did that before.

I have to say this is really frustrating . It had this erratic miss at idle in park . I cleaned and repaired all the FI grounds and it was much better 90 % gone then it comes back and I didn't touch a thing . All I do know is I have the right parts and if I unplug the air temp sensor all that stops and sometimes like today when standing there with the timing light it didn't miss then it started and it's not a steady miss like one cylinder . This has been going on since 2009. I don't if it's rich or lean , I know unplugging the air temp sensor makes it richer yet I get lousy fuel millage with it plugged in and probably because all my driving is stop and go and sitting at idle here.

It almost seems like there is a vacuum leak that comes and goes or a head temp sensor that is erratic something that affects fuel to air.

If it were not my only car I could let it set and take my time and maybe find it . It always ran great and was steady as a rock . Now it's a night mare . I can live with the erratic miss the ping worries me I don't need to damage the engine . The only good thing is I don't drive much less than 400 miles a year.

Just another edit . I started it since it's dark out and couldn't see any sparks from any wires arcing anywhere. I let it warm up and the instant I unplugged the air temp sensor the idle went up and all the miss fire was gone like always. I just left it unplugged and lowered the idle to 900 in park and will see what that does.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

I am starting to suspect a misadjusted/broken TPS or wires if it only pings when you give it gas... without the extra injections (like an accel pump on a carb) it will be running lean for a few seconds, and the lean mixture may let it ping.

Most of the manuals have an incorrect adjustment procedure. Get it close, and then listen for the 10 or so extra injector squirts (key on, engine off, slowly open the throttle and listen near the injectors).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: A few days ago I thought I heard slight pinging Reply with quote

Really....this all goes back to your other threads. And part of this is STILL the same problem. It's not going to go away.

Understand.......You note that your AAR is not closing.

If that is true and you are driving it that way.....your fuel mixture is way the hell rich. The aar bleed air is read by the MPS as throttle open and it enriches.

If you are able to drive with that condition....and get actual pinging......the only way that can happen (if your fuel pressure is normal).....is if the MPS is adjusted seriously LEAN.

While this may sound like a good trade off at say.....idle.....it can make it seriously lean through the mid range and part throttle.

The amount of air entering through the open AAR increases at a square function as rpm rises. As the MPS reacts to the extra air...which equals lack of vacuum....which equals enrichment.....it is not linear with the increase of air through the AAR. You will have lean spots.

Also the idle increase and not falling back to set idle....is a dead bang giveaway that you have air bypassing and enriching the MPS at just above idle.

While you may very well have ignition and advance issues as well ....you MUST fix the vacuum leaks and FINALLY adjust the MPS.....before you can accurately set timing based on availabe advance curve of the centrifugal......because the vacuum leak and MPS adjustment will not allow you to have a stable and controllable idle. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: