Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

Aaah, yes, that does make sense! On a mount, it would certainly be hanging out a lot more than something on top of a bumper as is fairly typical for a winch mount.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

There has been a few times in the 4x4's where we have started down a steep grade then decided that it was probably not the best choice so backing up the trail was required. The lead vehicle (the only one with a winch) would let out the winch cable from the front mounted winch and fish it under the axles to the second vehicle further up the hill. Then the winch was activated pulling the jeep backwards up the hill. Not the best thing for the cable but it did work and got us out of a few binds. If this was anticipated it would be easy to place a couple fairleads or pulleys under the vehicle just for this purpose. Hopefully i wouldnt be caught in a situation like this in the Thing as it was extreme 4x4'ing .. But who knows? Maybe the receiver thing would work better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
There has been a few times in the 4x4's where we have started down a steep grade then decided that it was probably not the best choice so backing up the trail was required. The lead vehicle (the only one with a winch) would let out the winch cable from the front mounted winch and fish it under the axles to the second vehicle further up the hill.

I can imagine doing that once, but I consider that in the category of getting caught with my pants down, and would take steps to not be in that situation a second time. There's a lot that can go wrong.
Quote:
Hopefully i wouldnt be caught in a situation like this in the Thing as it was extreme 4x4'ing .. But who knows? Maybe the receiver thing would work better?

I don't think I've ever seen the receiver mounted winch used in front for recovery. I can't imagine they take side loading very well. I've only seen them used on the rear to supplement a conventional front winch in situations like the one you described. I think Sam's setup is very stealthy and all, but if I were a fabricator like you are I wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel. I'd just make a proper winch bumper, tie it into the front beam with a skid plate and call it good.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

LOL Capt. Yeah think that is where im headed. I took the winch off of the Jeep this weekend along with the bumper I made for it. Im thinking seriously about doing some whittling on this bumper and mounting it all on the front of the thing instead of inside as discussed earlier. It will be easy to tie the bumper mounting surface plate to the cage when i tackle that. I havent found any pics anywhere of a thing sporting a winch hanging out front. i will make it (the bumper) removable with a second light weight bumper avaliable if the winch wont be needed...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

Wow I found one! But not quite what I had envisioned? Bet the train looks funny without its bumper?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

Haha. That does look like a cowcatcher!

Does the steep hill you mentioned earlier happen to be at Anza Borrego?
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting... Beam mount or bumper mount tie in? Reply with quote

Been sketchy a couple of times, once on the Anza park border just east of Laguna mountain close to Oriflame rd. and the gold mines.

But the scary time was on the cobble rocks just north of Pine Valley, That was the stupid one that could of gone south really quickly on us. Just very very lucky that we got hung up and stopped on those marbles headed down! It would have been a very quick trip to the canyon floor as brakes and low gears were of no use on the loose ballbearing like rocks. Had a heck of a time on hands and knees snaking the cable up the hill... It was a very scary couple hours getting out of that one. And it was just as the sun was setting.
That as we use to say could of been the ultimate and final E Ticket ride!

Another time i remember but everyone was packing winches was on the Milling Ranch close to the observatory on the back way into Mikes Sky Rancho in Baja. LOL Oh the memories and stupid lessons learned. Shocked

Im really looking forward to the Thing and for the most part can envision getting stuck in the sand or on a rock somewhere. Someday im going to run across an affordable LSD and thats when I will get in trouble with the Thing! LOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: