Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea Reply with quote

Hi all.

edit: drawing deleted. Will post better one soon.

Unless I missed some details, the main stumbling block would be sourcing the three "T's" shown. They don't seem to be a common size! Wink

Oil cooler could be positioned the same as the diesel Vanagon cooler. 038 121 132C flange; I don't know which way that part fits. i.e. would 1-1/4" outlet point toward driver side? (wrong way). The smallest outlet would be blocked off. OEM tube from head would go to coolant bottle.

Not shown; short piece of 1" hose from pump to 037 122 058

The idea is (was?) to try and use mostly FLAPS "off the shelf" parts. BUT..... the T's might have to be custom made so for most folks, that makes the idea moot.

Ideas, thoughts are most welcome.

edit: I won't be using this type of flange.

Images of Mk4 flange at head that *should* fit. My thought is that using a flange with the outlet at 90º to head might open options for molded rad hose choices.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Following Laughing

Happy to experiment with any of these ideas on my swap.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Go for it! Wink

Ya, it's possible the T's could be made from copper, and I have been running copper junctions in my other ABA w/o issue that I can see, but the T's are the challenge.

I may try to weld some up. Likely more work than its worth?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

I have made unusual "tees" and "els" with different sizes using copper plumbing fittings, sweat soldered together. I used this when I converted my 80 to watercooled(and to a 3.8 Ford V6), and someone made a cool h-fitting for my 85 1.9. A good plumbing supply house (not just a home improvement store) will have many sizes and both standard and "street", which solders inside another fitting, for a greater range of sizes. If you want a ridge on the end of the fitting for the hose clamp to not slip off, you can solder a copper wire around the circumference of the base of the fitting. I would like to have pictures but I don't have the technology to take digital pictures. P.S. the watercooled conversion worked, the 3.8 liter Ford V6 did not.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Thanks tBob. Great tip on plumbing terms and on the copper wire. On my currently running swap, I just double clamped unions etc that didn't have a bead for hose. I would not do double clamp again. Not optimal.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

So it seems the Mk4 2.0 also uses this coolant flange. The larger outlet would point towards the Vanagon long pipes. The smallest nipple looks like its for the heater core (5/8"). I'm assuming it would be ok to just cap the 3rd outlet with a hose, slug/bolt, and clamp. There is only one spot for a sensor but I'm assuming the Motronic 4 pin sensor will fit there.

from a vw vortex thread. Looking at flywheel end of head:

To me this outlet looks the same as ABA outlet

Pretty sure this shows a 2.0 AEG. It's an 8V 2.0 regardless.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

On that plastic flange, I have had multiple failures with the aftermarket flanges. Techtronics provided me with OEM ones that stand the test of time. I was amazed at the quick failure of the aftermarket ones. YMMV, but no more aftermarket plastic flanges for me.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
On that plastic flange, I have had multiple failures with the aftermarket flanges. Techtronics provided me with OEM ones that stand the test of time. I was amazed at the quick failure of the aftermarket ones. YMMV, but no more aftermarket plastic flanges for me.

thanks. yes. Saw mention of aftermarket flange failure in the thread I scanned (where images came from). From that thread:

"Notes: Get the OEM VW coolant flange- I noticed the OEM is much stronger and seals better than the aftermarket replacement. I got mine from my service shop for around $20. If you don't get the OEM part, you will be doing this again!!!"

I've had good luck with the flange on my ABA. It's a different design than the AEG part. Looking at that flange, I have to wonder if one reason for premature failure is the length of the larger nipples on the flange in question. (vibration, torque on part) Most likely due to crap-plastic though.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Hi Neil. If you need adapters to for your tee fittings and to change hose sizes google jags that run. They do jaguar engine conversions. They have all kinds off cooling system adapters and tee fittings. Good luck
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Thanks westyrabbit. I see:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Cooling-System-Parts_Order.html

Theres also hits for other hot rod type websites. Part of my goal, as usual, is to see what the "every person" could find or make but IF this hose confabulation is feasible, paying a little for nicely made T's would be worth it.

I'll probably end up welding up some galvanized barbed nipples. (I will grind off the top coat and hold my breath. Wink But really, the gas/smoke off galvanized is dangerous)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever#Cause

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

edit; assuming one makes a T to fit this hose.....

I'll measure but it seems that getting a 1.5" ID hose for long pipe to T from head isn't hard to do.

just an example:

Gates 21794
20.5" center line length

I get web hits for this hose at major FLAPS vendors. e.g. O Reilly It doesn't appear to be an obscure piece.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/gates-3728/belt...4/4328007.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

The L shaped or similar hoses listed below should allow T on hose from ABA head coolant flange to remain at 1.25" x 1.25" x 1" and should allow that T outlet to transition to the 1.5" Vanagon long pipe flowing to radiator. (pipe closest to firewall)

Double check numbers and images as there may be discrepancies online; some images made it hard to discern which end of hose had the larger ID. Please note any glaring errors

If the Gates part number showed multiple vendors, it got chosen. Most of these hoses likely need to be cut, most put bend rearward (closer to engine) of firewall.

For "VW" purists Wink Jegs shows Gates 21086 for mid 90's VR Passat. (but mostly for 80's Dodge so.....)

Neil.

1.25” x 1.55” 14.2” centreline

1.25” x 1.5” 20.2" centreline. ODD SHAPE

1.25” x 1.5” 16.3” centreline. U bend off pipe then toward engine. Too short?

1.25” x 1.56” 36.5" centreline. Odd application. Old Caddy? Bend from long pipe more than 90º but bends to 1.25” end may suffice

1.25” x 1.5” 10.7” centreline. Nice bend from long pipe. Puts T in bad spot?? Nice looking otherwise. Many applications listed.

1.25” x 1.5” 19.3” centreline. Kind of a Z bend. Cut short. Lots of 80’s 90’s applications

1.25” x 1.5” 15.7” centreline. Good L shape but short. Only see one application.

1.25” x 1.5” 15.6” centreline. “ok” L shape but more than 90º bend. Puts T further toward rear.

1.26” x 1.5’ 27.2” centreline. Nice sort of U shape but smaller end might be too high.

1.25” x 1.5” 30.5" centreline. Looks like it would provide nice L IF bigger ID at short end of L. Lots of Suburban GM applications.

21558 1.25” x 1.5” 22.9” centreline. 1999 Jeep application. Possibly locates T in front of firewall

21587 1.25” x 1.5” 13.7” centreline. Nice short L. Lots of mid 80’s applications.

1.25’ x 1.5” 18” centreline. Nice short L. Puts hose rearward of firewall.

1.25” x 1.5” 16.2” centreline. Really nice looking tight L. Same as above. Quite a few Dodge/Chrylser applications.

Gates 21086 from Jegs. Might be VW 3A0121051E

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

What's the real advantage to your method vs. this method - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651652&highlight=aba

??

Just trying to use off the shelf parts?

The hoses in the above thread cost me a total of $130.

Are are you trying to create a BETTER way of doing it?
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
What's the real advantage to your method vs. this method - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651652&highlight=aba

??

Just trying to use off the shelf parts?

The hoses in the above thread cost me a total of $130.

Are are you trying to create a BETTER way of doing it?

Yes. Trying to find an "off the shelf" and/or a FLAPS type solution. I look at it this way; if I'm in the middle of BFE, its possible I stand a better chance of getting a FLAPS type hose. But then I've never had one blow and even then, a FLAPS type moulded hose would likely be a 1 day wait. And parts are getting easier to get. e.g. while camping in Niland CA, if I have their story straight, a couple gal campers told me that on (BLM ?) land not far from there, theres actually a fenced off area for UPS or some such to drop off parcels. So..... Wink

Up here in Vancouver BC, based upon US vendors, one 1HM 122 101 B + three 037 122 058 is $260 Cnd before shipping, taxes, other fees. So if shipped to my door, I'm sure I'd be into at least $300 Cnd. Prob more like $350 Cnd. It would cost me a lot to go to US to get them.

edit: called my VW parts guy. For 1HM 122 101 B and three 037 122 058 (don't know if that includes the small hoses) before tax, they'd cost me $254 Cnd.

I'm not certain that the 037 122 058 at lower pump inlet beside the diesel carrier bar, will fit without it getting shoved to one side. But a 90º short hose may address that.

to me, those Cabrio ABA hoses appear to get narrower between ends. But even IF thats true, it may make no difference. That said....

No. Not trying to improve the OEM system. Were it even possible, its WAY beyond my scope!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Also, and with ALL due respect to Ian, as I'm sure he went to some trouble to get and prove the info he posted, to my eye, it appears that when compared to the older ABA cooling system hoses, the coolant path out at end of head appears to be reduced in ID from 1.25" to 0.75". I could be totally wrong but wouldn't that slow down the rate of coolant getting sent to the radiator?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Also, and with ALL due respect to Ian, ...... to my eye, it appears that when compared to the older ABA cooling system hoses, the coolant path out at end of head appears to be reduced in ID from 1.25" to 0.75". I could be totally wrong but....

Ok. So I wasn't paying attention in class. Wink

I now see the reference to the 6" 1-1/4" hose off the head; just couldn't see it in the above image.

I'll try and delete my diagram as its not entirely accurate and I'll be making some small changes.

So far, as Ian has done, I'll use two "crack pipe" manifolds off the coolant pump. Plan: mount cooler with nipples kind of upright (similar to diesel Vanagon cooler) install both plastic manifolds in upright position. This should allow more room between diesel carrier arm and manifold to lower inlet on pump. Generic 90º 1" moulded hoses should work between pump and manifolds. Since it appears that the Cabrio rad hose T's off to a 3/4" hose to junction at oil cooler and coolant pump, I won't have to make what would be a largish awkwardly placed metal T near the oil cooler. That would've been fetid. Wink

Speaking of metal T's, I think weight is something to consider; don't want that T flopping around.

The main hose from head will be a long Gates/AC Delco 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" with a T. As I did on my other swap, I'll use a Mk1 heater hose 171 121 611 E to transition from ABA coolant flange to 5/8" heater hose to core.

Return hose from long pipe: probably Gates Vulco 1-1/2" x 1-1/4". Maybe. Would prefer a moulded hose (no metal wire inside).

Image showing the Mk1 hose. This is an early image of my first ABA swap so please ignore the mayhem of zip ties. Wink

Gates 22786. ~ 35" Once cut for the T, I'm hoping it will work for head to long pipe.

edit: not using this hose.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

These images obviously show a "dry fit" of parts but should work. But.... as mentioned, this all depends on quality of the T's I weld up using threaded pipe. (I'd guess its one thing to weld a bracket but something else to weld up a fitting carrying fluids under pressure even at ~ 15 PSI. I know some have had custom welded oil pans that weep slightly). I decided not to use the zinc plated barbed unions; IIRC, they have a slightly thicker wall. I found the 1/2" threaded pipe nipple ID to be only slightly narrower than the ID on a generic plastic male x male 5/8" automotive coolant hose union.

Gates hoses off coolant pump should work well. The "lower" one clears the diesel bracket arm.

To put oil cooler in this position, to be safe, I clearance about 1.5 mm off oil cooler bracket and used hex head bolts at bracket to block. Though the cooler *just* fit w/o the clearancing, I found I had to hold it upwards to get that clearance. I checked clearance with grease. Not too happy with red hose fit as it bulges a bit at cooler nipple but it should last for a while. I'd ordered a Gates 90º moulded hose but it didn't show up so.... I used one VW hose on "lower" plastic manifold to oil cooler. Image shows one new and one used manifold. The Vanagon heater return hose will run to a T that will also connect to coolant expansion bottle bottom outlet then from there to the "lower" plastic manifold at coolant pump. IOW it should be a straight shot from heater hose to plastic manifold nipple.

I'll make a T to run a hose (arrow) to VW plastic manifold. Return hose from radiator will probably be 1.5" to union reduced to 1.25" then to pump. I'd use marine type hose for that. IIRC, there might be a 1.5" x 1.25" flex hose thats long enough but I'm not a big fan of that type of hose (with metal coil).

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

that's NOT how you want to plumb your oil cooler..

you need to connect that red hose to the water coming out from the head instead. it's a constant flow..

you have it connected to both returning lines ..
the only OUT flow line is off the back of the cylinder head..
the 3 lines available at the water pump are flow return lines.
middle one from the heater core circuit (constant flow)
upper one from the Cylinder head for when the T-stat is closed...
lower T-stat cover hose is from Radiator for when T-stat opens..

though VW used some variation where it's plumbed into the T-stat radiator return line. that isn't my preferred method.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
that's NOT how you want to plumb your oil cooler..

you need to connect that red hose to the water coming out from the head instead. it's a constant flow..

you have it connected to both returning lines ..
upper one from the Cylinder head for when the T-stat is closed...
lower T-stat cover hose is from Radiator for when T-stat opens..

I really do appreciate the warning and input. Smile

I don't think I was clear on this point or my diagram was lacking information. Or, I'm totally missing your point especially in regards to the T-stat.

A "T" will be installed in place of the shiny zinc plated union shown at hose from head to hose on long pipe to rad. Yellow arrow indicates flow from that "T" to VW plastic manifold between oil cooler and return to coolant pump. A clearer diagram is shown below.

This image shows my current running ABA swap. Will the upper plastic coolant manifold to oil cooler I show not function the same way as junction in OEM "sypder" hose?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA Swap Coolant Hose Idea. Reply with quote

Folks. If I'm still wrong on this, please correct me. I've posted another image showing same thing. Hopefully it clarifies things.

Thanks

Neil.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

A "T" will be installed in place of the shiny zinc plated union shown at hose from head to hose on long pipe to rad. Yellow arrow indicates flow from that "T" to VW plastic manifold between oil cooler and return to coolant pump. A clearer diagram is shown below.

Another angle showing same thing

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: