Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RAT Performance engine case Type 4
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: RAT Performance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Hello. Im looking for an a really good rebuildable engine case for a type 4. Most likely id build the motor myself but i need a good starting point. I started a topic about where to start and the information was great about what to measure and how everything needed to be. Because I live the east coast and an not really able to travel (because i can't drive) I wouldn't be able to go and measure a case and inspect it for wear. I also can't spend a few hundred on a case then need it to be machined or fixed by someone else. So i need a place then can get me a really good type 4 engine case from a 914. I hear RAT sells them but they have no prices online. Has anyone gotten one from them? If not where can i buy a good case. Even one that has machine work done to it to build a bigger motor. I want to build a 2600cc so im assuming it will need machine work. So anywhere that sells them or where yo get one is great. Thanks for any tips or advice!
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

What's your definition of a few hundred? A good case is going to cost. Any case you find will have a visit to the machine shop unless you just bought it from a machine shop that just worked it over.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
What's your definition of a few hundred? A good case is going to cost. Any case you find will have a visit to the machine shop unless you just bought it from a machine shop that just worked it over.

Shocked do you know what machine shops charge? In willing to spend what it costs. But hopefully not too much. Confused
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Hello. Im looking for an a really good rebuildable engine case for a type 4. Most likely id build the motor myself but i need a good starting point. I started a topic about where to start and the information was great about what to measure and how everything needed to be. Because I live the east coast and an not really able to travel (because i can't drive) I wouldn't be able to go and measure a case and inspect it for wear. I also can't spend a few hundred on a case then need it to be machined or fixed by someone else. So i need a place then can get me a really good type 4 engine case from a 914. I hear RAT sells them but they have no prices online. Has anyone gotten one from them? If not where can i buy a good case. Even one that has machine work done to it to build a bigger motor. I want to build a 2600cc so im assuming it will need machine work. So anywhere that sells them or where yo get one is great. Thanks for any tips or advice!

Really....it will either need an align bore or it will not. If you can do your own measuring.....then the case you want to order will be the one that is in your price range including shipping.....and has no visible damage in the crank bores or any bosses or parts cracked off.

While its nice to get a case that is known to be from a 914.....the 914 guys continuallly insist that its "special" and price it accordingly....at about 3X normal.....without even realizing that there is "0" differences between a 411/412 1.7L or 1.8L case.....including the series. Not one thing....same assembly line.
It would be just as well to get one from a 411 or 412.....so you could just look for cases of those series....W, EA, EB, EC.

Really a well cared for bus case will be just fine as well and is about 75% of what you will find....difference being that in about half of them.....it will probably need an align bore if its high miles.....but half do not.

So look for the big things....like cracked and broken parts and gouged main bores.
Personally....I would also stick to the two relief case....pre hydraulic lifters. Its just been my experience that the hydros wear the lifter bores a little more.

I havd bought a few used parts from Jake at RAT. Superb service....superb parts condition. Most probably.....any case you buy there will be more expenaive but will have been checked snd in known condition and may already have some work done to it. If they are in your budget....I would not hesitate to buy from them.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

I see this one for sale for what seems like a good price. https://m.ebay.com/itm/914-912E-Used-Engine-Case-9...SwRXRZQsfo
I contacted the seller and he said it was good for a rebuild. I can ask him if it needs an align bore? I know there isn't a lot of photos but in your eyes what do you think ?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

edit.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960

Last edited by jsturtlebuggy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Yeah i can share no problem. So i have saved up 1600 dollars. Not that much i know. But i work everyday and pull in around 800 per month. Throw in snowblowing in the winter. Plus I will get a day job in the summer.also may sell my computer for 1000 dollars. I really don't have a budget. Im willing to spend what it costs. When the money comes in it goes towards the car.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

I see on this website .5 bore size. What does that mean?

I see this website also offers machine. What would i need to be done machining wise to turn a stock 914 case into a 2600cc type 4. What needs to be done ?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Yes I'm very aware of machine shop prices. You have to pay to play. A built type 1 can cost 4k and up if you're starting blank. Type 4 stuff isn't any cheaper.

Do you have any type 4 stuff now or are your starting from scratch? A better understanding of your starting point and expectations may help.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Yes I'm very aware of machine shop prices. You have to pay to play. A built type 1 can cost 4k and up if you're starting blank. Type 4 stuff isn't any cheaper.

Do you have any type 4 stuff now or are your starting from scratch? A better understanding of your starting point and expectations may help.

Nope from scratch.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be rude but I'm gonna get straight to the point. There is no way in hell your gonna build a 2600cc type IV engine for a $1600 budget. Starting from scratch your looking at an $8,000 engine. Please understand VW's ARE NOT cheap like old people tell you they are.

A well build turn key 1835cc type I engine with a solid 100 HP is gonna cost $4,000. A transaxle that will handle it will cost $1000.

If you have nothing to start with my suggestion is too buy a complete used engine so you have all the cooling system, engine tin, distributor, alternator, and auxilary accessories, then rebuild it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude but I'm gonna get straight to the point. There is no way in hell your gonna build a 2600cc type IV engine for a $1600 budget. Starting from scratch your looking at an $8,000 engine. Please understand VW's ARE NOT cheap like old people tell you they are.

A well build turn key 1835cc type I engine with a solid 100 HP is gonna cost $4,000. A transaxle that will handle it will cost $1000.

If you have nothing to start with my suggestion is too buy a complete used engine so you have all the cooling system, engine tin, distributor, alternator, and auxilary accessories, then rebuild it.

Oh I know this is gonna be expensive. And I stated, Im willing to spend what it costs. Im well aware that 2600cc is gonna be expensive. No rudeness about it. Maybe you misinterpreted what i said?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

European Motor Works in Hawthorne is a mainly Type 4 shop. Jorge has a bunch of cores, and can machine one for you and send it to your doorstep. He makes a bunch of T4 parts, which he sells to major vendors, and they market them as their own. Their prices are the best that I know of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Im looking at a page of machine work they do for a case. more then Half of it i dont know what it means.
http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/engine-case-service.html
^ Here is a link to all the services.
I know i would need 103 bore so there is $60
Clean Engine Case? $30,
Do I need machining for a .78 crank?

What are things like?
Shuffle Pin all Mains in T-4 Case
Sleeve Lifter Bores in T-4 Case
Bore T-4 Case for 1/2" through-bolts
Deck Case - T-1 / T-4
Install 10mm Inserts in T-4 Case
Drill Tap Oil Galley in Holes T-4 Case
Drill and Tap Case For Full Flow
Bore T-4 Case Oil Filler Hole
Install Dipstick in T-4 Case
Remove Head Studs from T-4 Case
Repair Main Dowel Pin
Weld Plate Behind Cylinder #3

Do i need any of these things? What would they do. I know i am asking a lot of questions and i apologize just wanna make sure i have everything right so i dont miss something and have to ship it somewhere to do even more work.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Preformance aside,

Look for a complete 1700 or 1800 bus or 914 engine on Craigslist. You do not want to build one from scratch.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BUILD ONE FROM SCRATCH.

Performance aside.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

^^That sounds good.

FAT/rimco should be on the list as well.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
^^That sounds good.

FAT/rimco should be on the list as well.

What? Are you saying i need everything on that list or?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers

Last edited by sshulk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

thesatanicmechanic wrote:
Preformance aside,

Look for a complete 1700 or 1800 bus or 914 engine on Craigslist. You do not want to build one from scratch.

Performance aside.

why?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Preformance aside,

Performance aside.

why?

Because you cannot afford it.

practice on some type 1 engines, spend a few thousand $$s blowing some up, then buy a used type 4 and try carefully to build it back to stock using the parts and machine services that are available today.

Or just go ahead & go for it.

Please buy the parts from me though. I have a rent and 2 mortgages to cover.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RAT Preformance engine case Type 4 Reply with quote

Because you cannot afford it.

practice on some type 1 engines, spend a few thousand $$s blowing some up, then buy a used type 4 and try carefully to build it back to stock using the parts and machine services that are available today.

Or just go ahead & go for it.

Please buy the parts from me though. I have a rent and 2 mortgages to cover.

I mean I understand what you are saying but I really dont want to spend "a few thousands" on practice. Id rather "just go ahead & go for it" Also you said, performance aside, The whole point of me building this engine is performance.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: