Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

I think a filter will add life to the bottom end of the engine, no doubt. But, there have been many owners of VW's without filters who put 100's of thousands of miles on their VW's and achieved 150k miles before tearing it down for a rebuild. I remember all of them changed their oil like every 1500 miles. Of course, oil was cheaper back then as well.

When I tore my 67 bug engine down to rebuild it, the bottom sump area of the case was covered in a fine grit material that felt like fine sand. Maybe it was a piece of the fuel pump stand that was grinded up? When I saw that I knew the bearings were going to be in terrible condition from it. None of the main bearings or rod bearing had any damage or wear from that material. It appeared to have just been sitting at the bottom and was not circulating.

I've thought about adding filters to my stock engines in my bugs but then remembered that I don't put more than a couple of thousand miles a year on them. I change the oil annually and figure the engines will out live me by a long shot. Very Happy

If It was the 70's or 80's and I was daily driving my bug or bus, I'd absolutely add an oil filter.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[email protected]

Actually: think it's [email protected]

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=oil+pump

Cusser you are correct for the email. Sadly, Aircooled.net has "Item unavailable- SORRY- No ETA for restock"

Addtionally, I spoke with Antonio Trejo (VW of Mexico parts man). He said that the OEM Mexico pump is only for fuel injected beetles (1994- up). I also noticed that stock oil pump gears for the German beetles are 26mm, but the Mexican pump is 30mm. Not a huge difference, but it does produce higher pressures for the hydraulic lifters and such on the Mexi-Beetle. Someone could probably use the Mexico pump, but one must be aware of the possibility of higher than normal pressures (which discussed elsewhere) could potentially cause bypass of the oil cooler within our systems if thinner oil is not used(Read- overheating issues possible).

So, that leads us to this list of options with gear sizes:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/306140 (EMPI pump- 30mm)
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1792.htm?CartID=1 (26mm)
OEM Mexico pump from Antonio of VW Mexico (30mm)

If you have a flat (3bolt) cam, you can't use the Mexico pump at all, as it requires the dished (4bolt) cam. The EMPI and CB options do also have pumps for flat cams.

edited for typos
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[email protected]

Actually: think it's [email protected]

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=oil+pump
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Zundfolge, where did you get your OEM Mexican pump?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

In truth that filter is only on there to keep out dirt and debris while it’s sitting. I was impressed with fit and finish on the OEM VW part.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here’s more pics of Mexican pump installed. I probably had to back the studs out just a bit other than that it mounts up easy.

Does the filter clear the muffler with preheat tube on that left side? Figure that the slight downhill angle of the filter mount that it just might.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Here’s more pics of Mexican pump installed. I probably had to back the studs out just a bit other than that it mounts up easy. Oh God there’s a Toyota filter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No cutting or trimming to fit. It clears the tin and the pulley.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

From the Mexican thread:
OEM Mexico set up used longer case studs with nuts. just FYI for anyone interested
this is of hopkin's Mexican Beetle filter
GArBa wrote:
studs. I don't have a pic of mine right now but this photo of hopkin's car is quite clear:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I was wrong, that's my photo. I was EXPECTING the kit to come with longer studs, but I pulled the stock studs out and used the ALLEN BOLTS pictured from the kit. Just spaced out, and that VW is 100 miles away right now, was going by my old-folks memory !!! SORRY !!!

ALLEN BOLTS it is. I believe that I used a 6mm allen bit with my torque wrench for these (memory).

No worries Mr. C, Cool my young-folks memory doesn't serve me well either

busman78 wrote:
Studs do not work so well, getting standard 8mm (13mm head) nuts to fit on the left side is tight, socket does not fit, tried it, the 11mm or 12mm style nuts might work then if the stud on the right side is a little long the tin will need relieved. Probably why CB started shipping the pumps with allen heads.

Good point! I never thought of the studs and nuts not fitting properly in the available spaces!

Thanks to all for your input and responses. It's fantastic to have more experienced ACVW-ers to share experience, insight, and wisdom. I know this new 'bugger' certainly appreciates all the help and knowledge. Very Happy
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Studs do not work so well, getting standard 8mm (13mm head) nuts to fit on the left side is tight, socket does not fit, tried it, the 11mm or 12mm style nuts might work then if the stud on the right side is a little long the tin will need relieved. Probably why CB started shipping the pumps with allen heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Mr C., now I'm confused. From your resurrection thread the pictures and discussion seem to suggest the CB pump came with allen head bolts? Did it actually come with studs and you just used those allen heads instead?

I was wrong, that's my photo. I was EXPECTING the kit to come with longer studs, but I pulled the stock studs out and used the ALLEN BOLTS pictured from the kit. Just spaced out, and that VW is 100 miles away right now, was going by my old-folks memory !!! SORRY !!!

ALLEN BOLTS it is. I believe that I used a 6mm allen bit with my torque wrench for these (memory).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Allen bolts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

I can confirm that at least within the past few years the CB Maxi2 comes with the allen head bolts pictured and not longer studs.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Mr C., now I'm confused. From your resurrection thread the pictures and discussion seem to suggest the CB pump came with allen head bolts? Did it actually come with studs and you just used those allen heads instead?

Cusser wrote:

I used a Dremel tool

Cusser wrote:
...These mounting screws came with the kit, and I would've had to pull the original studs out anyway. I agree in theory about bolts directly into the softer case when parts must be removed frequently.

Note that I have over 35 years experience with same oil pump/filter on my 1835cc engine with similar bolts, and have not had any issues.

Chochobeef wrote:
I doubt Mr. Cusser has had any issues with leaking at the area. I'm sure he used the proper length bolt and torque with a little locktite.

Correct, the bolts were part of the CB kit, like they were with the same pump/filter on my 1835cc engine that I installed like 35 years ago. Yep, I used blue Loctite and torque wrench on those.

I have had great success and satisfaction with everything I've ever ordered from Claude's Buggies/CB Performance, going back 41 years.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Neither requires bolts to be used. Just replace the studs with longer studs. Best anyway to use studs, bolts run in and out of those soft case threads will wear out the case threads much sooner than later.

The CB Maxi2 comes with new, longer ALLEN BOLTS (corrected here). I just bought one about a year ago. The cutting of a few fins just took a few minutes, use Dremel or hacksaw.

It is a shame that CB doesn't get the manufacturer to modify the mold or do the fin-trimming pre-purchase. The instructions do not mention this being needed either.

On the other hand, the Weber carb kit for my 1988 Mazda truck requires the upper manifold adapter to have a notch enlarged to the rubber hose will fit (in the instructions) but does not mention that the adapters should be checked/sanded for flatness.

Last edited by Cusser on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Anybody know if the OEM Mexican oil pump uses the stock studs in the case to bolt to or does it require removal of the studs and use bolts directly into the case- i.e. like the CB Maxi2?)

Neither requires bolts to be used. Just replace the studs with longer studs. Best anyway to use studs, bolts run in and out of those soft case threads will wear out the case threads much sooner than later.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

I'm also strongly considering getting a spin-on filter pump combo(either OEM Mexican or CB Performance), as I have a muffler with the heat riser on the passenger side- so I don't have clearance issues to deal with

[I'm aware CB requires 'adjustment' of the pump fins to clear the pulley tin.]

Anybody know if the OEM Mexican oil pump uses the stock studs in the case to bolt to or does it require removal of the studs and use bolts directly into the case- i.e. like the CB Maxi2?

Does the OEM Mexican pump also have pulley tin clearance issues?

(if this is a thread hijack or better suited for another thread let me know)
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

one of the reasons i was really paranoid of flying was seeing the "repairs" performed by my aviation mechanic customers on their own cars...
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican oil pump worth it or leave it alone? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
...P.S. I've met a few A&P mechanics over the years... their advice can be a little suspect at times. The TBO's of the engines they work on are A LOT shorter than what most people would expect to get out of a standard automobile engine, so they tend not to think of "longevity" in the same terms as you or I might. You kind of have to take what they say with a grain of salt. I've also met a lot of old wrenches from the 70's; the same rule applies to them, as well.

Ha ha, sounds like you've run in to some shady cheap general aviation people. GA maintenance is like the used car lots of aviation.

No doubt! I spent a few years of my youth up in Alaska; those little puddle-jumpers are thick as flies up there and you almost can't throw a rock in town without hitting an A&P. I was surprised to see actual duct-tape being used to patch the fuselages on some of them. A buddy of mine even told me he didn't trust a plane that didn't have any duct-tape on it. One summer, some park rangers found one that had gone down out in the bush- inside the plane they found a torn open bag with a hundred pounds of marijuana in it, and beside the plane they found a poor ol' grizzly bear totally stoned out of its gourd. They never caught the pilot, and the bear eventually made a full recovery. Those were good times!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: