Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smadrid92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I received terrible news yesterday regarding my 1970 deluxe bay window bus. I had it parked at my father's ranch where it was lost in the fire.

I'm not really experienced with restoring cars but I'm guessing it's a complete loss. Asking for some advice to see if it can still be restored or even worth it to try to restore it.

I've accepted that I lost it and now considering to look for a new bay window. I'm currently living in the bay area in California. I'm planning to purchase a new bus in the next 4 months if my original is a complete loss. If anyone knows someone who is looking to sale their bay window bus, please let me know!!

I'm looking for a non-restored bus. I want to make it mine so the cleaner the better. Thanks!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Im glad you are okay. It is just stuff. There is a lot of usable metal on the Bus, but it certainly can't be economically restored.

Sorry of your loss, but chin up and start the hunt for a new one!
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss.... at least it looks like you were early on in your restoration, so minimal Time and Money lost.

Im really surprised we haven't had more of these threads with all the disasters the last year....

Napa fires
Harvey
Maria

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

sorry for your loss.

Just before my lunch break I was looking at a Public Release today (Release #2017-13) on the fire up here this summer on the eastern side of the Valley that DTSC and CalRecycle staff are handling - not the Santa Rosa fire which is being handled by Army Corp of Engineers. 249 right of entry forms were returned, 241 site assessments done, and for 89 homes the debris removal is complete so rebuilding can begin where appropriate. I asked myself, how many collector cars might have been in those 249 homes? How many VW's? How many lives were turned upside down in lost homes - memories? We (the people of the state) have to do a better job assessing the risks and taking reasonable actions to prevent the damage from these kinds fires. The news said the ones in LA yesterday had 45 - 60 mph Santa Ana winds so I don't know how one would mitigate against that.

From one of your photos, it looks like your home was spared, which you are surely thankful for. As AeroSurfer noted, you were in the early stages of restoration so it is fortunate you didn't have years in it only to lose it.

On another note - Sincerely I hope everyone here on this forum has insurance with some form of AGREED value in case of the loss of their bus - especially in cases like this. Yesterday the news said that claims just from the summer California fires were up to 9 BILLION dollars. Wow!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

The pics are sure sad. Both because of the loss of the Bus, but also more generally what they represent. (As was said, widespread devastation.)

My only experience with fires like that at all is in the prescribed burning they do here in the Flint Hills. They burn off the old dead grass in the spring time on the range lands. This accomplishes several things, such as making room for quicker growth of fresh grass by allowing sun to get directly to the soil. Also, the black charred surface warms the soil more quickly which encourages germination. Additionally, it helps kill off young invasive saplings of species of trees such as the Red Cedar. Finally, it gets rid of the dry materials that can build up and encourage a more out of control burn.

The burns are carefully timed and controlled with things like weather/wind predictions in mind and the ranchers who do it rarely have problems.

I love the smell of the smoke because it means spring is here. The fires are beautiful at night along the hillsides. And about two weeks later, the hills will be a beautiful neon green as the new grass sprouts.

The reason I bring this up is two fold. First, do they ever do any controlled burning out there? Seems that if prescribed burns were done under the correct conditions (considering things like weather predictions for wind and such), it would eat up the fuel that builds up and allows for much larger fires to develop.

Second, the fires here, as far as fire goes, move pretty quickly and are relatively "cool" on the fire temperature scale. For example, it is no big deal to stand right next to it or jump over the flames. Whenever a thread about a fuel-burned bus pops up, comments about how hot it was and how the head can affect the metal are a part of those threads. But if this fire swept through pretty quickly, perhaps the metal was never heated up in a similar matter?

That to say, maybe it is restorable if you really want to do the work. Though it will be a whole lot of work, undoubtedly.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

That's a heck of a first post.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

That really sucks ass. I hope no one in your family was hurt. As others said, its just a car. Plenty more early bays still out there.

vwwestyman wrote:
... Do they ever do any controlled burning out there? Seems that if prescribed burns were done under the correct conditions (considering things like weather predictions for wind and such), it would eat up the fuel that builds up and allows for much larger fires to develop...

CalFire and other agencies do some prescribed burning, but California is basically a giant tinderbox. Millions of acres of rural, semi-rural and wilderness abound. People like to live right in the middle of that. There will never be enough staffing, agencies or budgets to do enough controlled burns or other tasks like clearing out bark-beetle killed trees. Literally millions of acres ready to blow up... which then jumps right into entire neighborhoods... every year. Yet, we allow our City Councils to let developers keep building homes right up against it all.

As long as municipalities continue to issue building permits, we will continue to have these problems. No amount of tax revenue will ever meet the actual necessary cost to abate 75 years of Smokey the Bear telling us fires are evil.

It was told to me in my youth by old-timers that the San Manuel band of native people in San Bernardino would help fires get going during the twice-a-year Santa Ana wind seasons. The fires would get carried in the winds and burn through all the year's dead grasses and down-wood and clean up the foothills and forests, making them much healthier. They were 'cool' fires because there was not thirty years of dead crap to ignite and did not explode 100 year old stands of forests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

That melted windshield is insane

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Zaaammm I didn't notice the windshield before. Is that what it really is?

If that's the case, I think I take back the thought about the fire potentially being cool enough to not have changed the metallurgy.

To Wasted Youth's comments.

That's too bad, and I hadn't thought about the Smokey Bear connection but I suppose there is something to that. In some ways it almost seems like it might be too late to fix the problem. With only small amounts of tinder, from one year to the other, you're right that the fires are never too hot. But now that there are year's worth of tinder built up, they probably do get too hot and do things like kill trees.

Isn't it the sequoia trees that require some heat from a fire for the pine cones to open up and release the seeds?

It makes me wonder if the money were spent to clean up some of that mess, at least maybe the beetle-killed trees, would save the money spent on rebuilding everything after it burns up. But that would be hard to quantify.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about your bus. My parents lost their home in the Thomas fire (foothills of Ventura). My Dad's fully restored 1940 Ford coupe burned up where it sat parked in the garage. Heartbreaking. The winds were so strong and the fire moved so fast that no one had time to grab much of anything. Luckily my parents and their two dogs made it out okay. Ventura has always been a popular spot for VW busses and I wonder how many others burned up. I wish you luck in your search for another one!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

it's all superficial....the tires didn't melt (unless they have been replaced)

yes.....it will need 1 of everything. weather you knew it or not....it did anyway.

media blast that fucker and start ordering parts. get it in epoxy and you'll be fine.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
it's all superficial....the tires didn't melt (unless they have been replaced)

yes.....it will need 1 of everything. weather you knew it or not....it did anyway.

media blast that fucker and start ordering parts. get it in epoxy and you'll be fine.
I noticed the tires too. My buddy lost a vehicle and his home in a fire in South Dakota and not only were the tires gone, but the alloy wheels were melted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
I wonder how many others burned up.

That was my thought as well. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

I think the dash mess is mostly melted ABS, not glass. Once the laminate melts the glass will break and tumble down out of the weatherstripping.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of my time on that burned bus. Its scrap metal unless you want to make some $ cutting and selling metal off it. Maybe a remaining VW junkyard would give you a few bucks for it.

You live in S. California where there's still thousands of bay buses hoping to be brought back to life and loved.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Terrible news! That is my old Bus, got it in 2001 til I sold it 2 years ago. Here it is waiting pick up. Good luck in your search for a new one.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
smadrid92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the replies. The most important thing was that no human lives were lost and the house was spared. It was good that I was early in the restoration process also. I was accumulating parts and had it all stored inside. Appreciated all the feedback!
smadrid92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Terrible news! That is my old Bus, got it in 2001 til I sold it 2 years ago. Here it is waiting pick up. Good luck in your search for a new one.

What a small world Long-roofs! I bought it last year and was accumulating all the parts before the fire took it for good. Thanks for the kind words
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of my time on that burned bus. Its scrap metal

the metal is wasted, it's not worth it to replace everything, and it will never be right again.
use the insurance money (you did have insurance on it, right?) and buy a nicer bus.

sorry to hear about your buss being burned.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my 70 deluxe bus in LA fire Reply with quote

So sorry for your loss... but it's just a thing, at least you are okay.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: