Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SINGLE 44 IDF ok for street?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: SINGLE 44 IDF ok for street? Reply with quote

I have a 2276 with dual 44 IDFs (HPMX) but they are in need of work/replacement so Im thinking of going with CB's single 44 on my mostly street driven Baja bug. I have a short commute to work and Im wondering if the singles warm up and idle fairly fast or will it just be getting warmed up and idling right about the time I roll up to work? I know the performance wont be as great and they need pre-heat and specific jetting but do they have decent street manners, especially for a lot of shorter trips?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SINGLE 44 IDF ok for street? Reply with quote

If you have pre heat off the exhaust it will heat up fast. You’ll never dial it in like duals though.
It really depends on what cam and head you have if it will run acceptable or be a power drain.

You may can just clean up theHPMX carbs if they are not from the first batch. I’m not sure if anyone can fix a first batch set to be good. I swore them off at first, but they have a great reputation with what they are selling currently.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: SINGLE 44 IDF ok for street? Reply with quote

If someone can explain this I'd definitely welcome it. I agree that the science of preheat can't be denied, it is the best option. If for whatever reason that is too difficult, this intake setup seems to work very well. I can take the lower section off, and bolt up my old Bugpack aluminum manifold without preheat hooked up, and it runs way worse. I have yet to explain to myself why. It likes much richer idle jets with the aluminum cast style intake. Something about the steel IR style manifold makes witchcraft happen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: