Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What condition is causing this effect in my paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: What condition is causing this effect in my paint? Reply with quote

I have a 62 kombi in original Light Grey paint. Generally the condition of the bus is pretty good but the paint has some odd peeling or blistering on the sides and top.

Here is an example

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm curious what the cause of this condition? Additionally, is there a logical way to repair this? If its going to be touching up each of these blisters with new paint then I suspect i'll be a very very busy person considering the quantity.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What condition is causing this effect in my paint? Reply with quote

Has the kombi been recently painted? Was it fine for years then all of a sudden this appeared? Was it bought this way? Some more details would help.

It looks like solvent pop to me but that would only happen at the time it was painted and not years down the road
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What condition is causing this effect in my paint? Reply with quote

It's all OG paint. The bus had been sitting since 1987. I picked it up about 4 years ago and it came this way. I don't know if it was near any solvents in its time. This effect is all over the roof and side of the bush. There are are a few parts that have strong paint but mostly its this.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What condition is causing this effect in my paint? Reply with quote

Could have been tree sap or something, even soda pop. rock chips from dust devils?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What condition is causing this effect in my paint? Reply with quote

Mastorna, what you have there are rust measles, I’m afraid. Those are pinholes of rust, waiting to explode onto the surface. It happens when the vehicles been stored w/o good ventilation. Those spots most likely go down to the metal. Been there, done that.

Search for Rust Measles in this forum to see more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: