Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: 84 Vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi. I had a oil leak from one of the pushrod which i've replaced with a collapsible aftermarket unit. The installation was a breeze and leaking stopped. I did that without removing the valve cover. The other day i noticed a small pinhole on the valve cover and pulled it out to replace both side and discovered that the little rod is missing on the pushrod that i have recently replaced. I do remember that when i took the old one out(by cutting in half with a grinder) this piece was also removed and discarded but i didn't think of anything at that time. Now i have the new covers ready to be installed, and i am wondering if that piece has any effect on the operation of the valves or just should i go ahead and put the valve covers back on.
The above mentioned rod can be easily seen on the second picture(second from counting from back)
Thanks.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

I can't quite believe what I am seeing - so I will let more knowledgeable sources comment. Has your engine been running well with full power?

Edit -- Or is that a photo of someone else's engine?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

I can't see the photos for some reason- Ahwahnee, does it show no pushrod at all? Because that's what the description sounds like...
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

Is it that bad? Rolling Eyes
"Running engine" wasnt really accomplished yet. It was more like a few idling on the driveway, revving up etc. but not really driving or running. Just managed to start it after going through the fuel system , tank replacement, fuel lines, injectors, all filters, fluids. Cooling sys. such as radiator replacement, new cooalant. It was starting, rev up...There was a blue smoke after warm up which may relate to our topic...Since i have no prior knowledge, can't compare my observations as before/after the push rod replacement.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

again, I can't see the images and am far far from an expert- but if you are missing the actual pushrod from inside the pushrod cover, you basically have a non-functioning valve train on 1/2 your motor. Is this the part?

http://www.van-cafe.com/page_1685_716/new-push-rod
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/schematic-details.php?id=56
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
again, I can't see the images and am far far from an expert- but if you are missing the actual pushrod from inside the pushrod cover, you basically have a non-functioning valve train on 1/2 your motor. Is this the part?

http://www.van-cafe.com/page_1685_716/new-push-rod

yes just checked the shematic it apears that along with the push rod tube, cut out some of the push rod which was inside the tube that i wasn't aware. The remaining part still may be inside i go check right now.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

westina wrote:
http://www.gowesty.com/schematic-details.php?id=56

#2 on the schematic
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

The push rod seats against the lifters and opens/closes your exhaust valves - I hope I'm describing that right. Do not run the engine again until this problem is fixed.

If you just idle and revved for a few minutes, I think you'll be ok long-term. Other folks with more experience may know otherwise. Was the motor louder than expected when you had it running?
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
The push rod seats against the lifters and opens/closes your exhaust valves - I hope I'm describing that right. Do not run the engine again until this problem is fixed.

If you just idle and revved for a few minutes, I think you'll be ok long-term. Other folks with more experience may know otherwise. Was the motor louder than expected when you had it running?

No. Except the blue smoke after warm up,the idling wasnt smooth, engine was vibrating more than normal. Idling was hunting, up and down on a rythmic order.

Link
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

Ok i m placing an order for the push rod. i may get another collapsible just in case, keeping it as spare, along with the push rod tube seals. looking at the pictures, you just slide the push rod inside the push rod tube, making sure it sits right on the lifter...It should be an easy recovery as long as didnt cause any damage. I should have gained more info about replacing the tube. Lesson learned...
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

To replace the actual push rod, you're going to have remove the valve cover and the rocker arm you will see the other push rod beneath the rocker arm. It can very finicky to get the push rod seated right on the lifter in situ per other posts here- I've only done it when my engine was vertical in an engine stand, much easier. I'd search for directions on this if I were you.

When re-installing the rocker arm, start be setting the valve lash at zero. Do this by turning the little screw on the rocker arm by hand until you feel it touch the valve cap. Once your motor is running again, if your valve noise is extra loud, turn the valve lash adjuster in by a 1/4 turn. Try again, repeat. Don't go past about 1 1/2 turns in. This is a combination of directions here, from Boston Bob a sadly deceased vanagon wizard, and my limited experience.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

So that I understand, you had a leaking pushrod tube and removed it with the actual pushrod still installed by cutting both in half with a grinder? If so, I would recommend watching some YouTube videos before you attempt a project for the first time in the future. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake. As long as you got both halves of the pushrod out along with the debris you should be fine.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

there'll be 2 tubes sitting ontop the lifter... when it was sawed thru, the top 1/2 slid down and is resting alongside the bottom half.

it's a painful mistake but congratulations on working on your own van and digging in. clean out the hole the rod was in with carb cleaner and compressed air. all the filings should be sitting ontop of the lifter as they are a very tight fit. i really think you'll be fine.

-dan
(still doing stupid stuff and i'm getting old enough to know better)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

Over torquing things. that's the stupid mistake I can't seem to stop making. It's like I want to round off nuts and bolts.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

Checked the hole and there isn't anything obscuring in there. Most likely the whole length of the push rod is out and discarded. I ll further try to visibly check with a better flashlight instead of feel with the help of a long hose.
My recovery plan is following this
http://www.benplace.com/pushrod_tube.htm
Dan, can you open up this one little more?
"there'll be 2 tubes sitting ontop the lifter... when it was sawed thru, the top 1/2 slid down and is resting alongside the bottom half. "
My understanding was, i cut the tube and there was a one long piece of rod inside the tube called "push rod" cut off as well.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

Bingo, westina. Ben's directions are always right on, you got it.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

actually, as i think about this, the depth of the lifter bore is not deep enough to accomodate 1/2 of a push rod with the lifter in place. disregard my musing, the dang thing fell out somewhere! but how the heck would one not see that??

did you do the cutting? not trying to rub salt in the wound but a long metal rod, even cut in 1/2, is a very noticable thing.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

I would suggest finding someone local who understands hydraulic lifter adjustment and having them show you how to go about doing it. You really want to adjust all the valves while you are at it. It is easy to get this wrong the first time you do it.

I don't think you have hurt anything at this point in time, though you might want to go ahead and change the oil to remove any nasty metal particles that might have gotten down into the sump.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon 1.9 WBX Push rod Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
actually, as i think about this, the depth of the lifter bore is not deep enough to accomodate 1/2 of a push rod with the lifter in place. disregard my musing, the dang thing fell out somewhere! but how the heck would one not see that??

did you do the cutting? not trying to rub salt in the wound but a long metal rod, even cut in 1/2, is a very noticable thing.

-dan

Yes the push rod came off when i first cut the tube out but i wasn't able to make out of anything. Just discarded the piece along with the tube.
BTW i have looked inside the hole with a nice flashlight and there is no remnants of the rod. I can see the lifter nice and clear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: