Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

Did you look in the fuel tank and verify there was nothing in it that floats around and blocks the outlet when you drive?

Otherwise I am starting to lean towards Dale's thought that it may be ignition related. The old Smokey Yunick quote that "90% of all carburation problems are ignition."
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I am beginning to think you have ignition problems... You seem to have looked at the possible fuel problems..

Dale

When the issue does occur, timing goes to crap. Is this a sign of bad ignition, or is this something that just happens when it doesn't run correctly?
Where should I start with checking ignition?

I have:
010 Bosch Dizzy with electronic points, new cap and rotor
New Bosch 12V Blue Coil
Aftermarket ignition switch unsure of brand, possible culprit?
Spark wires are empis, possible culprit?
Pretty new spark plugs
Grounds to starter and transmission cleaned.

Last edited by Goostas on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

I just got done checking the carbs, floats, jets, the whole lot.
Everything looks a-okay. Float needles are doing what they're supposed to be doing and the fuel inlet screens are clean.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

Timing goes to shit means what? Is the plate holding your points module tight? When you set your timing, does it come up smoothly and stay steady when its maxed out? Should be set between 28 and 32 degrees.

My experience with points modules is that they either work or they don't, BUT there is a cheapy in my parts box that I had tried out quite a few years ago that I had replaced with a Pertronix for some reason....Don't remember why. But if it was dead, I would have just thrown it out....The more I am thinking about it, I think the timing was eratic.....But not sure.

There was also a sitiuation that I had once where the trigger plate on a Comufire (I think) was not snug.

If you have points and condensor, I would suggest swapping them in and see what happens
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Timing goes to shit means what? Is the plate holding your points module tight? When you set your timing, does it come up smoothly and stay steady when its maxed out? Should be set between 28 and 32 degrees.

If you have points and condensor, I would suggest swapping them in and see what happens

Timing goes to shit meaning when the issue occurs (No power, erratic idle) the timing is all over the place. When the engine is running normally it is at a smooth 7.5 idle and around 28 at 3k.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

What ignition system are you running? From the coil, distributor, plugs? This all sounds like a bad condenser to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

Agent47 wrote:
What ignition system are you running? From the coil, distributor, plugs? This all sounds like a bad condenser to me.

Coil: 12V Bosch Blue Coil
Distributor: Bosch 010 with Petronix Electric points (maybe burnt out?)
Plugs: NGK D6EAs
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

OK - how big of a swing is timing and about how much of a change in idle speed.

If the car is pretty much stalling out and the idle speed is fluctating between like 500 and 1000 RPMs, the timing should not be changing at all because the mechanical advance isnt in a range where it would be advancing...

I think you are getting close to nailing this down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
OK - how big of a swing is timing and about how much of a change in idle speed.

If the car is pretty much stalling out and the idle speed is fluctating between like 500 and 1000 RPMs, the timing should not be changing at all because the mechanical advance isnt in a range where it would be advancing...

I think you are getting close to nailing this down.

During the erratic idle, with my timing light, the timing reads literally all over the place on the pulley. I don't have a tach, but it doesn't sound like it goes above 1k. I'm borrowing a buddies extra dizzy and swapping it with mine to see if it clears up the issue.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

swapping the distributor is a GREAT idea... Make sure the spring is on the top of the drive gear.
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

I swapped my Bosch 010 Dizzy w/ Petronix I with my buddies unnamed 009 w/points and I couldn't get the engine to start.

I borrowed a Petronix II electric points and swapped it with my Petronix I, thinking my Petronix I might be burnt out (I recently found out that they can be burnt out with with ignition switch on without the engine running!).

After I installed the Petronix II a NEW problem has shown up, it idles fine and is drivable BUT during very low rpms (pulling away and below 2500,3000 rpm) the car "bucks" and hesistates pretty badly. I can drive it and hold speed, however.

During higher RPMs however, it seems to smooth out and no more bucking.

Any ideas? It has been cold down here in TX, I didn't run the engine for a week or so, maybe the idle circuit on the carbs got gunked up? Also a new battery cause the old one died.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

Yes - you can fry a points module if the key is left on and its in a "fire" position. Assuming that your timing is now stable? You had said it was very eratic intermittently.

But here was your original problem:
Quote:
Here's the issue: I can cruise around for about a mile or two no problem, feels great, nice power good response.
However on some occasions it feels like it suddenly runs out of gas; the car lurches, I let off throttle, idle turns erratic and when I add throttle it coughs and chokes at low RPM and seem to rev fine at a higher RPM. There is no power and I cannot drive at any speed above 5mph.
IF I turn off the engine and turn it back on, it is immediately cured and I can drive it like normal for another mile or two.
It feels to me like gas starvation?

Sounds like you have 2 different problems. Ignition was one of them, but you may still have a carb problem.
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yes - you can fry a points module if the key is left on and its in a "fire" position. Assuming that your timing is now stable? You had said it was very eratic intermittently.

But here was your original problem:
Quote:
Here's the issue: I can cruise around for about a mile or two no problem, feels great, nice power good response.
However on some occasions it feels like it suddenly runs out of gas; the car lurches, I let off throttle, idle turns erratic and when I add throttle it coughs and chokes at low RPM and seem to rev fine at a higher RPM. There is no power and I cannot drive at any speed above 5mph.
IF I turn off the engine and turn it back on, it is immediately cured and I can drive it like normal for another mile or two.
It feels to me like gas starvation?

Sounds like you have 2 different problems. Ignition was one of them, but you may still have a carb problem.

Yes it was two different problems. The new Petronix II points seem to have fixed the erratic idle! I must have burnt out the other Petronix I system without knowing.

And with the other problem, the idle jets got dirty from the car sitting for a week or so, I took out the idle jets and fuel/air needles and gave the carb chambers a good spray with carb cleaner and boom, runs like a champ!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, seems to be running great!

Jeremy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? SOLVED Reply with quote

The car sitting for a week would not cause that. Ours got parked about a month ago and wont be run again until maybe March. I use fuel stabilizer, but they will not require carb cleaning or anything in the spring. Maybe time for a new fuel filter?
Goostas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? SOLVED Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe. There's a pretty fresh fuel filter on it. Easy enough to swap out.

The weather dropped below freezing during the Ghia sitting. I didn't have any fuel stabilizer in it, and it was outside. Maybe the perfect storm?

I did have to reset my idle speed though which seemed odd. But it was a heck of a lot colder.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Dual Carbs Running Issue Gas Starvation? SOLVED Reply with quote

Replacing a fuel filter can break off rubber crumbs in the end of the hose meaning that you got dirt in it because you changed the filter... and cutting fresh fuel hose makes crumbs if you do not clean it out.
.. Sometimes I have to clean out the carb twice after changing hoses or the fuel filter.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: