Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
That is an awesome cat. What a nice surprise.

oh yes a blessing. it wasn't bothered by any of the power tools or hammering. This kitty is cut out for this kind of work.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

You got a buddy to help. Very Happy
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

I cut off some rust, wasnt brave enough to make bigger cuts.. And cutting is the easy part haha.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As Dwayne1m kindly suggested along many other great suggestions on PMs, I have cut through to the foam on the other rear quarter from the inside as it would be more forgiving cosmetically. I have found no foam and less rust, will need patches where fender bolts go as its rusted through on many parts:

But its a chance to convert and paint the rust there anyway. I wonder what could be under that patch there, didnt have the heart to check last night.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Great! A fellow '75 1303 rescuer!

These must be getting pretty rare now as fashion has favoured the early Beetles for so long - but Supers (especially the late ones) are so much better to drive than other Beetles you will definitely enjoy it when all your work is done.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
Great! A fellow '75 1303 rescuer!

These must be getting pretty rare now as fashion has favoured the early Beetles for so long - but Supers (especially the late ones) are so much better to drive than other Beetles you will definitely enjoy it when all your work is done.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I agree, these beetles are good daily drivers which is exactly what i want. I was advised not to save it but I am not giving up on it. My observation is that these are rare and almost extinct in Jordan. I have come across your 75 build log and i gotta say your repairs are AMAZING! and your car started off with many of the same rust problems i have so ill look at the log closely and highly appreciate any advice you could spare. Thanks for stopping by.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

after a long break from the project (due to high demand from work) I have worked several days on cleaning the interior from all the insulation and endless types of glue, would paint stripper take care of glue remnants?
I have converted the rust on the inside panel (death foam area), next I will prime it and paint it with Ace rust stop if that works, otherwise Ill have to order POR15, which will take time to arrive:

there is a spot I cant stop thinking about when its time to prep the car for paint. I have no Idea how I would reach it (to strip old paint and repaint)

Another question I have is, how would I paint the inside of a panel I am going to weld, even if its covered in weldable primer, wouldn't the weld line itself be bare metal? and maybe rust and infect the surrounding area?

-Zaid
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Paint stripper will remove the glue residue but also the paint...
POR 15 is not as good as used to be...A good industrial use primer it will be good to use...
I suggest you to do not make any further cuts to the body until to find a donor , also a good wash will also reveals more problem areas , as for the rear window louvers , sandblasting or paint remover aerosol works good there...

Good luck and keep the pics coming...

Jim
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Jim Hunter wrote:
Paint stripper will remove the glue residue but also the paint...
POR 15 is not as good as used to be...A good industrial use primer it will be good to use...
I suggest you to do not make any further cuts to the body until to find a donor , also a good wash will also reveals more problem areas , as for the rear window louvers , sandblasting or paint remover aerosol works good there...

Good luck and keep the pics coming...

Jim

Thanks a million jim, I do plan on removing all the paint anyway. So instead of por15 should I use epoxy primer? I will wash the car and hold off on the cuts until i have patched what i already cut.
Thanks for advice on rear window louvers.
Zaid
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Hi Zaid, vinegar will eat rust. Just take a towel, lay it on the rusty steal and drench the towel. Keep it wet, by reapplying vinegar and covering the towel with plastic, so that it does not evaporate quickly. In several hours the rust will start to dissolve and the fresh steel will appear. If there is no good steel, you will be left with holes.

Vinegar is acetic acid. Acetic acid dissolves rust and will not harm the good metal. Acetic acid is almost always the active ingredient in “rust disolvers”. Cheap and easy. There is also Naval Jelly. If you can get Naval Jelly, that is acetic acid in a Jelly form that sticks onto vertical surfaces.

Use a weldable primer. Be sure to prime the back side after welding, or you will have rust once again. I use primer in the spray can and a straw. Drill small holes on the inside as needed to reach the back side.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks a million jim, I do plan on removing all the paint anyway. So instead of por15 should I use epoxy primer? I will wash the car and hold off on the cuts until i have patched what i already cut.
Thanks for advice on rear window louvers.
Zaid

Hi Zaid,

Yes a good epoxy primer it would be ideal , just clean as best as you can the surface before.Epoxy primers are 98% weldable as well...

Vinegar as suggested is also good but use white vinegar instead...

Good luck!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

For my louvered area I poured the paint stripper in a spray bottle (like window cleaner), although an aerosol can (as Jimbo suggests) would also work, and then after it bubbled up I blasted it out of there with a water pressure washer to get in there between the cracks. It took a few applications and power washings to finally get all the old paint scraps out of there. Once it was all bare metal I used a couple of cans of aerosol spray paint self etching primer. The spray paint cans let me get up close in between the cracks and up under the louvers until it was sealed up again. There were some sloppy drips outside on the louvers from getting in so close but those sanded right down.

I like to use phosphoric acid to dissolve rust, because it converts the surface of the metal bonding with the molecules somehow.

Good luck!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

alex857 wrote:

I just noticed the clear shield on the front of the Super. Is that aftermarket or home made? That looks so much better then a bra. I wonder how it's attached.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

I will surely try the "stripper in a spray bottle" suggestion as I cant source spray can stripper. I love the idea of drilling a hole on the inside and spraying the welded area, very cleaver thanks!
I went junk Yard hunting and found most of the body metal I needed, almost at welding stage!
I made a short video of the junk yard hunting I though some might find it interesting to see what it would look like in Jordan. thank you guys for all the help and support.

heres the link:

Link

Last edited by SupBeetle4Zaid on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Interesting video. Finding a rust free donor like that here is almost impossible. Why didn't you jump on the zebra station wagon???(1:15 of video)
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Interesting video. Finding a rust free donor like that here is almost impossible. Why didn't you jump on the zebra station wagon???(1:15 of video)

Hahah i noticed zebra wagon every time I went, I wonder what purpose it served.
The car was in a surprisingly good shape, and I cut so much for 80$
Now I am starting to work on the fit to weld ..wish me luck.
Glad you found the video interesting and thank you for keeping an eye on my build log Very Happy
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:
I will surely try the "stripper in a spray bottle" suggestion as I cant source spray can stripper. I love the idea of drilling a hole on the inside and spraying the welded area, very cleaver thanks!
I went junk Yard hunting and found most of the body metal I needed, almost at welding stage!
I made a short video of the junk yard hunting I though some might find it interesting to see what it would look like in Jordan. thank you guys for all the help and support.

heres the link:

https://youtu.be/uwfg_t-96g8

Zaid

Here is a link to an example of the sprayable paint stripper

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/premium-sprayable-stripper

Thank you for sharing the video. I am still amazed at how technology allows us to share experiences.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

Im glad you like the video, and I agree, miracle of the Internet.
I am pretty sure I wont be able to find sprayable stripper here, it was difficult finding the regular one but this is the same brand I have.
I also bought a body hammer and dolly bloc. I also got a spray gun, cheap one for spaying the epoxy primer after i strip the car. I get excited over tools, thought id share.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:
Im glad you like the video, and I agree, miracle of the Internet.
I am pretty sure I wont be able to find sprayable stripper here, it was difficult finding the regular one but this is the same brand I have.
I also bought a body hammer and dolly bloc. I also got a spray gun, cheap one for spaying the epoxy primer after i strip the car. I get excited over tools, thought id share.

I get excited about buying new tools too!! That part of the reason I like this hobby!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

I get excited about buying new tools too!! That part of the reason I like this hobby!

tools are a beautiful thing..Im a tool head
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Resto project - 1975 super beetle 1303 Reply with quote

That was an ENORMOUS junkyard! Glad you found good metal for your '75.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: