Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

I have a friend that is getting his girlfriend's Ghia back together and he asked me to help him out again today. I stopped by (a good excuse to drive my bug) and we fiddled around on the car and got some necessary stuff done. I helped him install the engine a few weeks ago, and at the time the girlfriend offered to buy me a gift card for dinner, etc. I refused, of course.

This time, however, we were working on some wiring and he showed me a set of really nice professional wire strippers. The wire end is inserted and the insulation is pulled off the wire, according to the metric hole it's placed in. Unlike the cheapie wire strippers, this one was obviously a more expensive set that held the wire, while you squeezed the plier-type handles together. It was a slick tool.

The guy said he got it from a retired electrician, and that he had a half dozen of them. Then he left the garage and came back with a similar wire stripper. "This one's yours," he said.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have taken any form of payment for helping out a friend with his car; but he said he had a half dozen of these strippers, so I accepted the surprise without any guilt.

When I left to go home, I also got a thank you and a handshake from the guy and a hug from the girlfriend (owner of the car). That would have been enough, but the gift of a wire stripper was kind of cool, too.

Soon, we'll work on the car's brakes.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Congrats
Only thing I ever got was a bent ratchet, guy said I could take it to Sears and get a new one, can't remember if I ever did, this was about 1986.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

The satisfaction of knowing you helped someone is extremely rewarding. Glad you got a nice thank you gift, but as you mentioned, that wasn't the reason why you did it.

The aircooled community is a good example of people willing to help each other just for the desire of wanting to.
Cool
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Tim - you'll get a gazillion hits on this if you change the title to

"Help a fellow dubber and get a free stripper"

Wink

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
sleeper bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Tim - you'll get a gazillion hits on this if you change the title to

"Help a fellow dubber and get a free stripper"

Wink

I love this forum
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Volks, I don't care about the number of hits, but I do care about good ideas. Yours was a winner!

Very funny.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Early 80s I guess, I was in college and there were still plenty of Beetles on college campuses. I stop my convertible to help a young couple stopped on the side of the road. I found weak spark and dirty points, so I filed the points with the girl's nail file, set the gap with a machbook cover and they were on their way. I recommended he change the points as soon as he could. A couple of days later he tracked me down and gave me a t-shirt from the college football team. He said he was on the team and that was his first date wih the girl. I guess he got lucky that night. He also said the car was running better than it had in a good while.

So, he got lucky and all I got was a t-shirt.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Do you still have the shirt? I bet he doesn't still have the girl Confused

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

That's a cool story. There's something to be said for graciously accepting a gift sometimes, for the sake of the giver. My story is like Q-Dogs, at the side of the road, filed the points, only the driver was an elderly lady. I was 1000 miles from home visiting a friend, in a Ghia as it happens, drove that thing everywhere. She gave my friend and I a twenty with instructions to go up the road and buy a "Crozet Pizza". There we found it, Crozet Pizza in the town of Crozet VA. That was maybe 34 years ago, I just googled it and found the place is still there and prospering.
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Well, let's see the strippers.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:

annnnnd cue Cusser.... Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sleeper bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:

yea lets see the strippers
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

I have used strippers I mean wire strippers like that. Nice that he gave you a set of them. I have been stripping wire with diagonal (dikes) for like ever and fellows see me do this they are amazed.
Wonder what you will get when the brakes are done?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

I think you may be referring to this tool which comes in handy working in confined spaces. So you match up the cutter with the wire gage and it makes a precise cut without cutting into the copper strands. If you wanted to be 100% correct and better than OE you’d also use a calibrated crimping tool and environmental splices as they do in aircraft world. But for us a good universal crimp with heat shrink wrap will work just fine. Do not use the cheapo splices and spade terminals you find at auto parts store, instead go to electrical supply house and get the better ones. Yes they cost a little more but wouldn’t you rather have a repair that works rather than something that fails in short order?
I used to cut wiring harness sections out of old VWs especially the buses to get original correct wires when making repairs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I have used strippers I mean wire strippers like that. Nice that he gave you a set of them. I have been stripping wire with diagonal (dikes) for like ever and fellows see me do this they are amazed.
Wonder what you will get when the brakes are done?

Now you've just gone too far.
You shouldn't talk about strippers and dikes in the same paragraph.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Here’s a harness made from salvaged wire given up by cars that had been picked clean and heading to the crusher. As I was saying on a bus you could get 8 to 10 feet of good usable wire from the main loom.

This one uses the spade terminals which are shrink wrapped to strengthen and seal the connection. Also installed along the top for anti chaffing on top of the carb, this one connects to positive side of coil for power to electromagnetic cutoff valve and then up to the choke.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Probably a lifetime supply of salvaged OE wiring to make repairs, most of it correctly color coded from the 50s through the 70s.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

In the 1970s, my former girlfriend called me up, said her VW had died and her father had obtain a rebuilt longblock, and she asked me if I could do the swap for her. I told her that would take like all day, and I was going to a party that evening, that she could accompany me.

Anyway, I got a nice surprise that night after the party !!!

I haven't seen her in 4 decades.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
In the 1970s, my former girlfriend called me up, said her VW had died and her father had obtain a rebuilt longblock, and she asked me if I could do the swap for her. I told her that would take like all day, and I was going to a party that evening, that she could accompany me.

Perhaps she needed a longer block? Dancing

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help a fellow dubber and get a surprise! Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Cusser wrote:

And that surprise was in my 1970 VW, which I still have !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: