Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Switch - Voltage
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

Received a new master cylinder from WW and didn’t realize that it comes with the brake switch. A 65 would have been 6V but my car has been converted to 12V. Is the brake switch voltage specific? WW is closed till Monday and I’m anxious to know if I should use it or swap it for what’s been on the car. Probably doesn’t matter anyway since my tail lights and brake lights are LED.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

The brake switch doesn’t care what voltage. 6V or 12V it will work.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

I have heard that new brake light switches are not of good quality so hang on to your old one. I have no experience with the WW ones though.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
The brake switch doesn’t care what voltage. 6V or 12V it will work.

Correct, it's just a continuity switch, the pressure from the hydraulic system closes the switch, completes the circuit.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
I have heard that new brake light switches are not of good quality so hang on to your old one. I have no experience with the WW ones though.

I've been running a WW brake light switch for five years/20k miles, still works like a champ. Wink
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

Some vw vendor says they got their hands on quality German brake light switches for 30 dollars. I can't remember who.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

I was in a small town this summer (and I'm not signed up for mail delivery there), so I replaced one of the brake switches on my 1970 with one from Autozone (lifetime warranty). So far, so good, I'll report if that gives me trouble...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

I purchased an ATE or similar “German quality” switch from an online vendor and it failed in less than a year (<1000 miles). Replaced it with one from NAPA and seems to be lasting longer now.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

Was it really Até though? I'm still running the master cylinder I bought over 25 years ago in my 62, It was German Até and came with a new switch installed... and it's never given me a single problem.

Now, I do have a new Mera brand German switch if I ever need it... but I don't know if anyone still sells that particular one anymore.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Was it really Até though? I'm still running the master cylinder I bought over 25 years ago in my 62, It was German Até and came with a new switch installed... and it's never given me a single problem.

Now, I do have a new Mera brand German switch if I ever need it... but I don't know if anyone still sells that particular one anymore.

I was incorrect. It was FTE not ATE. Either way I paid more figuring a German brand would be better and it wasn't.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

If you install the 12v switches, you will get increased power to the brake lights and reduce the time it takes for the bulb to light up to full brightness. 12V is the way to go. They are backwards compatible with 6V alternators as long as you have a positive ground system.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
If you install the 12v switches, you will get increased power to the brake lights and reduce the time it takes for the bulb to light up to full brightness. 12V is the way to go. They are backwards compatible with 6V alternators as long as you have a positive ground system.

That's funny. Laughing
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Switch - Voltage Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I purchased an ATE or similar “German quality” switch from an online vendor and it failed in less than a year (<1000 miles). Replaced it with one from NAPA and seems to be lasting longer now.

You should be able to return that. The parts suppliers I use have 2 year warranties. Switches are like condensers. Though, once you return them and pay for shipping it doesn't save anything. Maybe your local will be more help but the local prices you pay should have a good warranty.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: