Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel fuel hose...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm working on my fuel system for a diesel conversion. Do I need special fuel line compatible with diesel fuel. Is the plastic fuel line kit you would see at Go-Westy acceptable?
I have quite a few feet of the German fuel injection hose from Busdepot that I had hoped to use. Thanks for any advice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

I would go with these parts.
The 'plastic' line serves double duty, however. It allows you to see if there is air in the line. But, since it isn't under any pressure (comparatively), I don't see why you couldn't get away with some thick PVC line, like for aquarium plumbing.

*EDIT*
I didn't see it, but your plastic line is in that parts list.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

Go-westy did confirm the hard fuel line kit they sell is ok to use with diesel fuel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

dunno about the GW stuff but here's what you want:
http://www.gatesunitta.com/en/gates-submersible-fuel-line-hose-4219-series

it is compatible with B20 as well as B100 biodiesels and meets SAE 30R9 as well.

-dan
(ran Jetta on veg oil for 140k miles)
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

Best to use if you can find it is nylon tube. It is stiff and difficult to work with but tough and stays very clear forever.

Second choice is clear poly tube from the hardware store. Softer and easier to get onto the barbs. Downside is that after a few years it begins to go opaque.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

I like the idea of the clear line but I'm not finding anything specific through a google search. The gates product that DanHoug recommended is a sure winner too.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
I like the idea of the clear line but I'm not finding anything specific through a google search. The gates product that DanHoug recommended is a sure winner too.

...or, you know, there IS the original part that I so graciously provided a link for (you know, to avoid the frustration of a failed Google search...).
Just in case you missed it, Here it is again, but not hidden in a blue hyper-link:
https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts...251201217E

Cheers!
Nico
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel hose... Reply with quote

FWIW, there is a classification system (by the Coast Guard) for fuel hoses used in marine applications. (I know we're not under those rules, but a standard is more reassuring to me than the vendors label "Heavy-duty fuel hose"). Stuff sold under these ratings meets stringent requirements. (Description below clipped from Jamestown Marine's website):

The rating system exclusively for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:

A1--fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.

A2--fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.

B1--fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.

B2--fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.

So, A1 rating is fire-resistant designed to carry fuel full-time (good for gasoline or diesel), B1 is without the fire resistant cover, also for full-time fuel contact, suitable for diesel.
Nice, thick-wall hose, I buy it in bulk for marine work so just use it on my VWs too.
But you won't see through it, it is black rubber.
The good news is diesel fuel is less incendiary than gas, the rubber doesn't tend to break down as fast with diesel and if it does you won't go up in a ball of flame. Most hoses will get stiff/brittle over time so periodic replacement is a maintenance item.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: