Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo Engine Locked Up.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pcella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

I just purchased a very nice 73 sedan with a 2276 turbo.
The motor was built by a reputable air cooled turbo builder.
It had already been broken in and I was told had about 1500 miles on it.
I put probably 2 miles on it after purchasing and made one short, maybe 1/8 mile pull and the motor locked up.
I have absolutely no air-cooled experience, but a good amount of performance experience, mainly with small block chevy and LS motors.
I have pulled the motor out and removed the heads and cylinders and all seems well with them and the pistons, but the motor is still locked up.

I am guessing that I have lost a main bearing but not sure.

Any suggestions or ideas what else it could be?
I'm really don't want to take this thing down any further myself since I have no idea what I am doing.

Also anyone know of a good performance shop close to Shreveport (North) Louisiana?

Thanks for the help,

Pat
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Take it to Oak Hill Automotive in Longview TX. A second generation classic VW garage.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Seized #1 main bearing is a common problem.

Any given set of bearings in any given engine case, these days, good chance it will be too tight or too loose, they can't seem to get it right every time like the Germans.

Chevy small blocks have had the exact same problem. Some specs say #5 main is smaller than the rest and others don't. Are you familiar with that?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Pcella wrote:

I put probably 2 miles on it after purchasing and made one short, maybe 1/8 mile pull and the motor locked up.
Pat

Man that's bad luck! Definitely sound like you spun a bearing. Since it's such a new engine, everything should be in good shape. Find out why it spun a a bearing, and get it put back together. Usually it's parts that didn't fit together, or oil starvation.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Deep sump? got a pic of the Motor? That will help us, But I'm guessing a spun rod bearing too Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for all of the quick responses.

Brian, I will get with Oak Hill and see what they have to say. Any idea if they have any experience with turbo engines?

Modoc, Yes I familiar with the confusion on the #5 main on smc engines. I'm afraid that we may be showing our age here. lol

Madmike, I'll try to get a picture of the engine posted tonight.

Thanks for all of the help!
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Yes, Oak Hill has plenty of experience with turbo engines. Ask for Daniel Watts. 903-297-3496

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Pcella wrote:

Modoc, Yes I familiar with the confusion on the #5 main on smc engines. I'm afraid that we may be showing our age here. lol

Great. Basically #5 was most likely to seize if it was too tight or saw a little oil starvation, so you want a little more clearance on #5 than the other bearings in the end, but they did that a few different ways depending on if they ground the crank smaller OR made the bearing thinner.

Same here. Mahle brand generally they make the #1 bearing for a bit more clearance but the other brands don't.
Silverline has the BEST main bearings these days but if you end up with #1 being tighter than it should be you gotta do something about it, maybe polish the crank smaller or get a set of mahle bearings and just use the #1 out of it perhaps.

So, might be anything but it probably is the SAME OLD problem.
Can't use plastigague tho, the bearing is a full circle.
Pcella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

What's the I.D. of that 90° bend you're using on the oil full-flow inlet to the case? that looks like it could be restrictive.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

X2
Looks like a reducer and then a ninety. Also looks like the SAE style hardware instead of AN style.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
X2
Looks like a reducer and then a ninety. Also looks like the SAE style hardware instead of AN style.

Yup. Seems like a bit too much brass. Small at that.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

I had one lock up under an hour old, no 2 rod had stuck on crank due to lack of oil, due to dirt and debris blocking oilways, due to a complete numpty being left in charge of it.
Pcella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
What's the I.D. of that 90° bend you're using on the oil full-flow inlet to the case? that looks like it could be restrictive.

I'm not at home where I can look at it, but are you talking about the brass fitting?
I don't know what's up with that. For the most part the thing seems pretty quality and there was a lot of money spent on quality parts where he could have skimped, but didn't. I did notice that and wondered why he went with that verses an an fitting.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

If the rods are still free, not there. You’re almost there.
Pcella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

I looked at that fitting closer and if I was a betting man I would say that's probably what caused my problem.

I didn't measure it, but I'm almost sure that it an AN4 (1/4") reduced from about an AN8 (1/2").

I wonder why anyone would buy forged pistons and rods, port and polish the heads, go with a high dollar turbo and cheap out on the hose and fittings.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Do you know that the engine had real miles on it before you bought it?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Because builder was probably not person who "assembled" the parts to put it in car....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Because builder was probably not person who "assembled" the parts to put it in car....

Dale

This.

The engine was sold as a long block I bet. Whoever put the ancillaries on it probably just used what they had, or didn't know better. You can get away with that (maybe) on a low rev stocker, but not a high revver turbo. You need oil!
Pcella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Engine Locked Up. Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Do you know that the engine had real miles on it before you bought it?

I was told that it had 1500 on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: