Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I'm converting my 65 to dual circuit using 67 reservoir. I'd lie to see how people have enlarged the hole to fit the 67only reservoir. Thanks!
Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I'm converting my 65 to dual circuit using 67 reservoir. I'd lie to see how people have enlarged the hole to fit the 67only reservoir. Thanks!
Byas

Would you REALLY need to enlarge the hole???? You'd be running a "tee" anyway from the single reservoir to the duel-inlet master cylinder, why not use an adapter tee and have the first hose be the right size and from the tee go slightly larger to mate up with the dual circuit master cylinder?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Using a Tee with a single chamber reservoir is pointless -- you lose one circuit and you lose both. The 67-only reservoir has 2 chambers and 2 outlets but fits in the same area as the original -- similar shape too, just protrudes out a bit more and needs a larger opening for the 2 pipes that exit the reservoir.

Before I start cutting, it would be helpful to see how and what others have cut.

THanks!
Byas
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Byas,
The image below is a pic of the backside of my 67 dual MC res. through the rear side of the spare wheel well. Note that there is a little bit of foam insulation. The insulation is factory installed!

Keep in mind that this is from a 67 Type1. Not a 65 Ghia. But being the resourceful man that you are. You'll figure it out.

Good Luck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Perfect! Thank you. This gives me a better sense of what the original opening looked like and the orientation of the metal tubes that come out of the reservoir. I do have the insulation as well. This portion is identical between the KG and the Beetle.

Byas
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting a dual circuit for my '65, and putting a bus reservoir on top. If it would fit, that is.. then I can use the stock '65 reservoir to feed the dual bus reservoir. Haven't tried any of that yet so it may not even work! But just an idea.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Here's another pic that should help

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Using a Tee with a single chamber reservoir is pointless -- you lose one circuit and you lose both. The 67-only reservoir has 2 chambers and 2 outlets but fits in the same area as the original -- similar shape too, just protrudes out a bit more and needs a larger opening for the 2 pipes that exit the reservoir.

I didn't know that the 1967 was dual circuit reservoir. Never mind !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

jimdubs wrote:

Thanks!!
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I added a couple of extra routing pics in my post above for you Byas.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
bnam wrote:

I didn't know that the 1967 was dual circuit reservoir. Never mind !

There have been some odd variations for the '67 that I can't quite remember, including mismatched hose barb sizes, addressed with a weird green hose that had different sized ends, and perhaps other tweaks. There have been threads with photos. But the main think is to use blue brake hose and not regular fuel line, and make sure there are no cracks that can leak fluid out or suck air in.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
jimdubs wrote:

Thanks!!

Thats exactly what I did on the 63 that we converted. Don't forget that you need a MUCH longer retaining strap. Was glad I remembered that before we painted the car..
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a dual circuit for my '65, and putting a bus reservoir on top. If it would fit, that is.. then I can use the stock '65 reservoir to feed the dual bus reservoir. Haven't tried any of that yet so it may not even work! But just an idea.

I was gonna try that as well.... The ports on the master cylinder for the front brake lines are in the way of the bus lower reservoir....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Or just get rid of it altogether

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Why is nothing straightforward???

The metal lines on the 67-only reservoir are 6mm OD. While the elbow on the MC is 8mm. How did the original set up work? The WW repro looks pretty good in quality -- did they just get this part wrong or was the original also like that?

Byas
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I guess I need to get or make something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Hose-reducer-joiner-connector/dp/B009C87766?ref_=nav_ya_signin&
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

The metal lines on the 67-only reservoir are 6mm OD. While the elbow on the MC is 8mm. How did the original set up work? The WW repro looks pretty good in quality -- did they just get this part wrong or was the original also like that?

Byas

This is what I was hinting at in my post above. A few years ago this was discussed in detail with photos. Search may find that thread and give you answers.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I guess I need to get or make something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Hose-reducer-joiner-connector/dp/B009C87766?ref_=nav_ya_signin&

1/4 inch x 5/16 inch should work too. Since not under pressure, plastic adapter could work too
https://www.ebay.com/i/201461490013?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-to-5-16-6mm-X-8mm-Uni...Sw4A5Yzijf
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Byas

[img]

From the gallery a pic of 1967 hoses. The adapters that are presently available look like they should work.[/img]
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I'm going to put a dual circuit MC in my '57. I'm going to use the stock reservoir for the front circuit and put another reservoir next to the MC for the second circuit. It will still appear to be 'stock'. I'll use Dot 5 fluid (silicone) so I don't have the worries of paint getting damaged in case of spills.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: