Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior heat
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74luvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Interior heat Reply with quote

I recently bought a 73 bus that has a 76 engine with a custom oil cooler. Winter is here and the bus is ice cold inside. I was wondering what your thoughts would be about routing the oil cooler inside and adding a fan. sort of like a radiator with fan. should be able to heat the interior. then be able to move it outside in warmer temperatures. Or have 2 oil coolers with a valve, one for summer outside, one for winter inside. Any thoughts?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

The oil cooler may make enough heat for a back window if your on a long enough drive. It's Just that oil temps are much lower than exhaust pipes which are at 500' F. Best to just put in a propane furnace.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Why don't you just get the stock heat set up & working correctly?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Your quickest route is probably a propane furnace or a new Espar type heater. I would usually suggest installing a BN4 gas heater but it would take a lot of time to find the parts, get it running and install it. The propane furnace might be a pricey option but you could consider it a long term solution and it would solve your heat problem.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

74luvbug wrote:
I recently bought a 73 bus that has a 76 engine with a custom oil cooler. Winter is here and the bus is ice cold inside. I was wondering what your thoughts would be about routing the oil cooler inside and adding a fan. sort of like a radiator with fan. should be able to heat the interior. then be able to move it outside in warmer temperatures. Or have 2 oil coolers with a valve, one for summer outside, one for winter inside. Any thoughts?

So what do you actually have? The only difference between motors is displacement and fuel delivery. The engine itself was essentially the same and bolts up the same. A custom oil cooler on a 76 motor doesnt mean anything without pictures. If its still a type 4 motor then the stock system will warm the front cabin up pretty easily if plumbed right.

Post some pictures

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

welcome to your first winter in VW bus. The least expensive solution is invest in a good sweat shirt or coat, ski hat and gloves. Make sure your girl friend / wife has one too that is eye appealing and you can pretend you are Nanuck of the North. VW heater systems will take the edge off but not like the heater in a water cooled car. Wait until your first cold rain when the windows all fog over. Learn to carry clean towels with you to wipe the inside of the windows. Smile
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

You could install a inline fan to pull more heat into the bus. I did that to my bus. It takes a while to get the bus warm, but the blower fan really helps. Check out this site

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...e1e0749cf0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Someone posts about this every year, but then either doesn't try it or is unwilling to admit to whatever happened. Find a gas heater and install it if you really want a lot of heat fast, or add a fan as others suggest. I figure my system puts out maybe three times as much heat as the stock system and when on the road will keep the entire cab warm down to around 10°F out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371749&highlight=blumax%2A

I did a lot of what Duncwarw talked about in the post already linked to by Rottenkid in his above post.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

You don't want to run a fan on the oil cooler in cold temp,the oil may not heat up to operating temp and cause engine troubles.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

I haven't driven it yet because I'm also working on a little rust stopping, but I just installed a BA6 gas heater in my '73. They weren't installed by the factory until '75 but it fits like it was built for it.

Just with testing it out, I am confident that when combined with the factory heat system, this thing will keep the Bus plenty warm.

Otherwise, I'd suggest some kind of modern gas, propane, or diesel fired heater. (There are quite a lot of people on the Vanagon forums that use the Espar diesel heaters with a small second diesel tank. And a guy recently put one in his Bay.)

Way back in the day I know there were kits sold to do what you suggest in Beetles. But I don't know that it would do enough in a Bus.

Or, before I installed the BA6, I had a Heater Buddy that fit just right between the front seats that helped take the edge off until the engine's heat started warming things up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Fix the stock system and....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614419&highlight=

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/usa-made-12-volt-ducted-heater.html
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1429329.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...=heat+pump
Link on the samba is for a Ghia.(page 4 specifically).can't see why this wouldn't work for T2 without some imagination and plumbing skills

PS..warm clothes and a passenger that's not hard on the eyes with the squeegee is definitely the most inexpensive route
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Oldtimers method of defrosting is to use a chalkboard eraser. This works great unless it's below freezing, then you'll have to use the skinny half of a cassette box or a credit card.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

propane RV furnace, easy intallation, same furnace that adventurewagons and Rivieras came with.
$100 plus some install lines and a tank solution depending on your level of sketch..
year round camping and driving comfort.

not rocket science just HVAC...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/pts/d/rv-propane-furnace-and-stove/6412232212.html

Quote:
Selling the propane furnace and stove from my old 1980 Ford Econoline campervan. Both are still in great working condition although the stove has some surface rust that should be easy to remove.

Furnace - Asking $100

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
Oldtimers method of defrosting is to use a chalkboard eraser. This works great unless it's below freezing, then you'll have to use the skinny half of a cassette box or a credit card.
got a laugh at the memory of this....My down jacket is my heater, and my heater still works long after I leave the bus and the engine is cold. SGKent has it right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

What do you know about heat?? Your from F.......California

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

I dunno, anything below 67*f in Cali is jacket weather.
they know it's winter there because the leather/vinyl seats stop burning your bottom.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Truckee was 9 F this morning. It was 28 F here last night. Boston MA was 25 F this morning so what is the big difference? When someone says it is always warm in California I have to wonder if they have actually been here in Winter. Our state is about 800 miles long - running from a latitude of about CT to GA. That distance shows up as great variations in climate. It can be snowing in NorCal while the surfers in SoCal are enjoying the sun at the beach.

When it comes to bays, most of the ones sold here had stock heating only. We didn't get the models with the additional heaters like some of those sold in northern climates had.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:

I guess I am really showing my age, here, because I know what both a chalkboard eraser and cassette box are.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
You don't want to run a fan on the oil cooler in cold temp,the oil may not heat up to operating temp and cause engine troubles.

This actually isn't much of a worry as there will be virtually no oil flowing through the cooler when the engine is cold, the oil pressure high, and the bypass is open. On a offset oil cooler engine I don't even think the air volume is even reduced through the cooler when cold as it makes little difference.

Not having much oil flowing through the cooler would be a major problem with using the cooler for heat though. A major problem with VW engines is the oil doesn't get very warm in the winter, so unless one is out pulling long grades I wouldn't think the oil would supply one with much heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: