Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior heat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
cellobus1 wrote:
Oldtimers method of defrosting is to use a chalkboard eraser. This works great unless it's below freezing, then you'll have to use the skinny half of a cassette box or a credit card.

I guess I am really showing my age, here, because I know what both a chalkboard eraser and cassette box are.

With 1.5T of debt just added, the next generation won't know what a credit card is , either.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
cellobus1 wrote:
Oldtimers method of defrosting is to use a chalkboard eraser. This works great unless it's below freezing, then you'll have to use the skinny half of a cassette box or a credit card.

I guess I am really showing my age, here, because I know what both a chalkboard eraser and cassette box are.

With 1.5T of debt just added, the next generation won't know what a credit card is , either.

yes - really sad too. Just reading an article today where here in CA the talk down at the Assembly, Senate, and Gov office is that they want to create a NEW 22% tax against wages to fund a "government run California universal health care." Considering it was locally reported that a lot of folks in politics here got involved and funded ads in the Alabama race Tuesday, and that the interviews here by the news yesterday interviewed Californians who were saying how they (Californians) will now change Alabama - the next generation might not even be able to afford a wallet to carry a credit card.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Im a conservative business person in NY who is also backing a run to fund single payer in NY - because Im tired of paying a 2x tax on health care costs compared to my competitors in the rest of world. The blue states that are paying their way to the Fed arent going to take this tax increase lying down, trust me.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Im a conservative business person in NY who is also backing a run to fund single payer in NY - because Im tired of paying a 2x tax on health care costs compared to my competitors in the rest of world. The blue states that are paying their way to the Fed arent going to take this tax increase lying down, trust me.

you need to know that the system here being reported in blue news sources is that they are negotiating a NEW 22% tax, plus what is already being paid in taxes
, predominately on the employer. In other words, raising the cost of labor on businesses by about 25%. That will force some companies out or to automate - which will cause that % number to go higher. Then as people in states that don't provide healthcare migrate to the ones that do - that % will go even higher again. Good luck lowering the cost of business and being competitive with that. In fact it is about an additional FICA deduction on businesses and employees.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

To truly heat a Bus in truly cold weather, my opinion is that you need several things:

-All seals/gaskets between the exterior and interior-door seals, pedal seals, etc, need to be in good condition. Drafts are a big part of the goal of a warm interior

-Stock heating system in proper working order. All cables adjusted, all parts there and functioning, well sealed.

-A gas heater. There are less expensive heaters such as propane but then you need to worry about a second fuel source. Gas heaters work off of the same fuel the engine does. One of my buses has a BA-6 and it is like a blast furnace, but as they are older, they do need some attention from time to time. A modern unit such as a Webasto or Espar-which are available in different sizes/BTUs (make sure you get one adequately sized. Saving a little money on a unit that is too small may prove frustrating if you are trying to heat a full bus interior when it's subzero out). These are more compact and efficient and I would think safer than the old SouthWind and Eberspacher units such as the BA series, and you have many options available in terms of ducting and vents so you can put heat in various places or even tie it into the original venting, and you can add nice things such as a timer or remote control so you can have the heat going before you get into the bus.

None of this is cheap, but it's money well spent if you're like me and love buses but hate being cold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
To truly heat a Bus in truly cold weather, my opinion is that you need several things:

-All seals/gaskets between the exterior and interior-door seals, pedal seals, etc, need to be in good condition. Drafts are a big part of the goal of a warm interior

-Stock heating system in proper working order. All cables adjusted, all parts there and functioning, well sealed.

-A gas heater. There are less expensive heaters such as propane but then you need to worry about a second fuel source. Gas heaters work off of the same fuel the engine does. One of my buses has a BA-6 and it is like a blast furnace, but as they are older, they do need some attention from time to time. A modern unit such as a Webasto or Espar-which are available in different sizes/BTUs (make sure you get one adequately sized. Saving a little money on a unit that is too small may prove frustrating if you are trying to heat a full bus interior when it's subzero out). These are more compact and efficient and I would think safer than the old SouthWind and Eberspacher units such as the BA series, and you have many options available in terms of ducting and vents so you can put heat in various places or even tie it into the original venting, and you can add nice things such as a timer or remote control so you can have the heat going before you get into the bus.

None of this is cheap, but it's money well spent if you're like me and love buses but hate being cold.

Smile sounds like a very practical solution if stock heat combined with a coat, ski cap, and gloves don't get it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

I'll have to say I'm pretty excited to try out my Bus with the BA6 installed! Just gotta finish up the "rust-stop" project first.

I had it idling last night with the heater running, and had quite a bit more air flow than before with the recirculation fan combined with the stock booster fan.

Tying into the stock system (particularly defrost) is one huge advantage of the BA6 over other gas-fired heaters. I don't know how easily any of the others would tie in.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Motorcyclists that ride in the winter use an electric vest. I used to use mine in the VW bus, until I fixed the stock heater.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Think Brick wall

Fact

The stock heater works and does its job when hooked up properly. Any opinion beyond that is just that.

Any additions to the bus and their individual performance is also opinion and that includes the one VW approved addition - the Gas Heater.

Just want to clarify that before one of you starts talking about walking on water or end of the earth shit.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

My opinion. Now that I have a working heater system both stock and BN4 Eberspacher. Love it. Havent enjoyed the bus more. The stock heat keeps me warm on any drive in cold damp windy shitty Seattle weather. No steam/condensation build up. Consistent heat out the feet and dash. My cables are not working their best so I think it will get better once I fix that.

Back up heat in the form of a BN4 is stupid awesome. Its an Eberspacher thing for sure. It can not be explained, it just is. Other Eberspacher owners know what Im talking about.

Those two simple fundamental clarifications are the cornerstone to VW heating of the bus. Anything after is just you and some duct tape gettin by. Razz

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Rolling Eyes Think Brick wall

Fact

The stock heater works and does its job when hooked up properly. Any opinion beyond that is just that.

Any additions to the bus and their individual performance is also opinion and that includes the one VW approved addition - the Gas Heater.

Just want to clarify that before one of you starts talking about walking on water or end of the earth shit.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

My opinion. Now that I have a working heater system both stock and BN4 Eberspacher. Love it. Havent enjoyed the bus more. The stock heat keeps me warm on any drive in cold damp windy shitty Seattle weather. No steam/condensation build up. Consistent heat out the feet and dash. My cables are not working their best so I think it will get better once I fix that.

Back up heat in the form of a BN4 is stupid awesome. Its an Eberspacher thing for sure. It can not be explained, it just is. Other Eberspacher owners know what Im talking about.

Those two simple fundamental clarifications are the cornerstone to VW heating of the bus. Anything after is just you and some duct tape gettin by. Razz

I agree, the stock heat system works very well when dialed in properly, and for the era it was produced it outperformed many other makes excuse for a heater (68 Datsun pickup comes to mind, and a few other imports). Customers were tougher then it seems, they lived in drafty houses and if they got cold they put on a sweater, many cars didn't even come with heaters until the 50's.
The Eberspacher option takes the heat to a level similar to modern cars, more than you'll ever need unless you live in the Yukon or Alaska.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
...Customers were tougher then it seems, they lived in drafty houses and if they got cold they put on a sweater, many cars didn't even come with heaters until the 50's. ...

Haha, my kiddos were running around the house in underwear the other day, complaining to me about how cold it was. "Put on some clothes, you'll warm up!" "No, I won't!"
Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
...Customers were tougher then it seems, they lived in drafty houses and if they got cold they put on a sweater, many cars didn't even come with heaters until the 50's. ...

Haha, my kiddos were running around the house in underwear the other day, complaining to me about how cold it was. "Put on some clothes, you'll warm up!" "No, I won't!"
Laughing

I get that all the time, "What are you?, some sort of Vampire Eskimo?", seems I'm ruining thier lives by turning off needless lights and keeping the house ~ 72*. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

My kids left quickly.

68 daytime, 60 nighttime
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

I grew up in San Diego. First thing we did was put on J tubes and an aftermarket extractor. I didnt have a vw with heat until I got serious about stock stuff and bought one that was unmolested. Before that, it was squeegees, hoody cuffs and towels on the windshield. We put on a jacket and drank an energy drink called STFU. Wink on those cool 48 deg evenings. Im pretty spoiled now.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My kids left quickly.

68 daytime, 60 nighttime

Yeah, I tell them it's 72, but in reality it's much closer to your numbers Wink , don't want to melt the igloo before spring now do we? Smile

And that STFU drink Jason refers to is called Suckitup here in Canada, drank alot myself, likely the same formula and a similar taste, but likely with less artifical sweeteners and bilingual and metric labelling for the French faction Razz

Слава Україні!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBASTO-AIR-TOP-2000-STC-12V-PETROL-HEATER-/122808557292#rwid

A cousin of mine has one of these installed in his truck (not bus). Says it keeps him warm during winters.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

Laughing

How many of them are actually yours?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:

Laughing

How many of them are actually yours?

Ha ha, came up out of the late model forum to play with the grown ups eh? Laughing
Welcome! What year is your bus?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

Agreed that a standard heater is ok in some climates, and it was probably adequate back in it's day compared to other heaters which weren't very good. If you have that in truly proper working order-which is not always easy given that some aftermarket parts are not nearly as good as the original (replacement heater boxes, for example. Just adequate when new, I am not sure why aftermarket companies made them inferior rather than coming out with something improved). Many VW's I have had or been in have also had multiple drafts. Get rid of the drafts and get the stock heat and it will be decent for a vehicle of it's age. Newer cars have of course raised the bar and our expectations, so a gas heater is the next step, and in my opinion, necessary if you are going to be truly comfortable - as well as any passengers who may not be old car folks-in this day and age. Again, some people are OK with a giant coat and mittens, and I even did for years long ago in several beater VWs I had in high school in the early 1990s, but that gets old fast. After driving a drafty old Bus with crappy heat to Wisconsin, being frozen and miserable is in the past for me lol. There are options to get REAL HEAT in an old VW, you just need to spend the time and money to accomplish them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Interior heat Reply with quote

FWIW, a year ago driving in super saturated 30-32°F temps and pouring all the heat I could onto the windshield to keep it defogged, I managed to melt the wiper blades and smeared block goop all over the windshield with my modified stock heater system. This was done pulling the Siskiyou Summit on I-5 while heading south.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: