Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Hello All,

I will be installing a 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit on a 1971 1600 DP in a Ghia Vert.

The carb was purchased from CB Performance.

Past summer I ran with a 30/31 Solex and experienced stalling issues when coming to stops.

Can anyone provide me with their experience with the set-up mentioned above (6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit).

...and can i run the crank case breather hose from the oil filler neck back to the fan shroud or should I go with a breather box?

Thanks for your feedback and time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I'm wondering if you may be throwing money at the problem without rooting out the cause of your troubles..a 30 solex may be a bit small,but a 34.pict would be more than sufficient for a stock 1600..
All center-mount carbs are prone to icing which could be what's causing your stalling troubles..and may get worse with a paper filtered element .40..I'm not completely familiar with the setup you are planning to install,but hopefully your decklid will close properly..
VW did there best to eliminate the icing by:

A: Having preheat manifold tubes to control the fuel/air climate in the neck of the manifold to carb and the runners to the heads..Are yours clear of blockages now?Aftermarket bugpack exhaust with the risers welded shut?

B: Having the oil bath in place to act as filter and also have a flap to set between warm and cold seasons:

C: Having a warm air pick up tube (AKA Stovepipe) to pick up warm air from below the engine to heat the air in the air cleaner..

D: Working thermostat and flaps,which help the engine warm up quicker

If you have all these things in place now,It should give you a leg up..
You may have problems with your choke now,mixture settings etc..

You have a mechanical .009 distributor? These advance curves can wreak havoc on some carb combos until the car is warmed up after 20 mins of driving,(Usually Pict/34)..flat spot/stalling etc.

I'm not sure if you're wrong in purchasing the .40 Weber,but I'm hoping that you don't have the same problems after installing it coupled with the prep work,cleaning and fine tuning

The best is to install a nice set of dual ICts in your case..that's a whole other animal (which I love) and eliminates all the plumbing in the inherit center-mount setup
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I can agree with what Fez says after having done that for my old 61 coupe as seen here,

I reckon what Fez says is true because this installation doesn't attempt solve the centre mounted issues he lists. Though it ran well, it still wasn't perfect.... especially so when cold. Dual ICTs seems a better idea. Porsche and even VW (for type 3's etc) worked that out soon enough.
I did it this way only because I didn't have another matching Webber and knew then less than I know now.... which isn't much anyway. Very Happy

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

fes wrote:
I'm wondering if you may be throwing money at the problem without rooting out the cause of your troubles..a 30 solex may be a bit small,but a 34.pict would be more than sufficient for a stock 1600..
All center-mount carbs are prone to icing which could be what's causing your stalling troubles..and may get worse with a paper filtered element .40..I'm not completely familiar with the setup you are planning to install,but hopefully your decklid will close properly..
VW did there best to eliminate the icing by:

A: Having preheat manifold tubes to control the fuel/air climate in the neck of the manifold to carb and the runners to the heads..Are yours clear of blockages now?Aftermarket bugpack exhaust with the risers welded shut?

My pre-heat/heat riser tubes are not blocked. I have a stock exhaust.
The CB performance kit comes with new manifolds that includes heat risers

B: Having the oil bath in place to act as filter and also have a flap to set between warm and cold seasons:

If I hook up crank case breather to the air intake would assist with the flow of hot air to the carb?

C: Having a warm air pick up tube (AKA Stovepipe) to pick up warm air from below the engine to heat the air in the air cleaner..

D: Working thermostat and flaps,which help the engine warm up quicker

If you have all these things in place now,It should give you a leg up..
You may have problems with your choke now,mixture settings etc..

You have a mechanical .009 distributor?
I think I have the .009. Its stock DVDA. I have attached image below.

These advance curves can wreak havoc on some carb combos until the car is warmed up after 20 mins of driving,(Usually Pict/34)..flat spot/stalling etc.

I'm not sure if you're wrong in purchasing the .40 Weber,but I'm hoping that you don't have the same problems after installing it coupled with the prep work,cleaning and fine tuning

The best is to install a nice set of dual ICts in your case..that's a whole other animal (which I love) and eliminates all the plumbing in the inherit center-mount setup

I am leaning on going for the dual Weber 34 ICT instead.

What would be some modifications that I would have to make (besides removing the oil bath stand) to the engine compartment to make the dual carb set up?

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

The biggest job is removing the existing manifold,which requires removing the fan shroud and generator..This can be done in the car,but it's a pain in the ass,much better to remove the engine entirely,
You could cut the old manifold out (destroying a valuable and sought after piece of VW equipment) but that would be shameful..
You probably want to give the motor a little refresh anyways..

Make sure you get the low profile kit,high carb breathers will bring up on the decklid springs,

You will also have to relocate the coil,there's a bracket that is used to mount to the case where the old manifold U mounted..

You may have to cut a little off of the hex bar,I had to cut about 5/8" of my bar for my HPMX 40's

You may or may not run into issues with the accelerator cable being too long or short.

Take apart the carbs,inspect and clean,there may be gunk left behind from the casting process,remove jets and clean with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air..

Then on to the setup and tuning process
-Good luck
-Matt
Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

fes wrote:
The biggest job is removing the existing manifold,which requires removing the fan shroud and generator..This can be done in the car,but it's a pain in the ass,much better to remove the engine entirely,
You could cut the old manifold out (destroying a valuable and sought after piece of VW equipment) but that would be shameful..
You probably want to give the motor a little refresh anyways..

Make sure you get the low profile kit,high carb breathers will bring up on the decklid springs,

You will also have to relocate the coil,there's a bracket that is used to mount to the case where the old manifold U mounted..

You may have to cut a little off of the hex bar,I had to cut about 5/8" of my bar for my HPMX 40's

You may or may not run into issues with the accelerator cable being too long or short.

Take apart the carbs,inspect and clean,there may be gunk left behind from the casting process,remove jets and clean with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air..

Then on to the setup and tuning process
-Good luck
-Matt

Thanks Matt.

I really appreciate the info!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

fes wrote:

Maybe i'm forgetting something or we have different techniques , But why remove shroud and generator to add dual carbs? The manifold breaks down to 3 pieces and is easy to work around.

Single IDFs are more popular in the off-road scene where dual carb linkage can't handle the thrashing. Dual- Dual throat carbs, IDF ,DRLA ,HPMX are all superior in my opinion ,over ICT or kads. Only drawback is they cost a bit more . Especially since the Ghia engine bay has so much room ,no reason not to.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
fes wrote:

Maybe i'm forgetting something or we have different techniques , But why remove shroud and generator to add dual carbs? The manifold breaks down to 3 pieces and is easy to work around.

Single IDFs are more popular in the off-road scene where dual carb linkage can't handle the thrashing. Dual- Dual throat carbs, IDF ,DRLA ,HPMX are all superior in my opinion ,over ICT or kads. Only drawback is they cost a bit more . Especially since the Ghia engine bay has so much room ,no reason not to.

Anyone who has done the rookie mistake of dressing a type1 engine before installing the center-mount manifold will know of this..trying to angle the curved preheat tube under the generator stand while the generator is in place is almost downright impossible
Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Going to stick with what I have. More to follow.
Confused
Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

This is not working out as I thought. The center portion on the intake manifold does not line up correctly and is short.

Anyone run into this issue.

Thinking about going back to the stock 34.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Stick with the stock until you can get a nice set of duals...36 DRLA's are a great choice for a 1600.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Can you "adjust" the preheat tubes a bring the center section into better alignment?
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

You're balls deep i see, tell us how that would have been easier with the engine out,properly lining up the fan shroud and other tins is not going to be fun..
But I've been there,and wont beat you up for it Wink
Completely loosen the pick-up exchange tubes mounts.
Loosen all the clamps on the boots
Loosen the bolt on the manifold stand where it meets the case
Completely remove the nuts on the driver's side manifold..Basically get everything loose..except the passenger manifold where it mounts to the head.
Now starting from right to left,install the passenger side first,with the boots loosely in place, the manifold can be completely installed on this side..snug the clamps,just enough to move the unit back and forth if need be.

Use soapy water to lube the manifold so the boots can slide over easier
Mate up the driver's side now, same process, snug the boots and re-install the nuts on the manifold on that side..
Once you're satisfied with the fit on both sides, tighten down the bolt under the stand and the clamps..(Don't over tighten..I hate these red silicone boots)
Now that everything is tight, move on to the heat exchanger pick-up mounts, use a punch or a nail set to center the hole on one, install the bolt and move onto the other bolt..These tubes will flex slightly....
Hope this helps..I't's going to take some tweaking and patince, but you will get it..
Inspect the boots for cracks now before you progress,hate to see a air leak there,although it wouldn't surprise me..
Good Luck
-Matt
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Quote:
You're balls deep i see, tell us how that would have been easier with the engine out

Looks like he went back to the single weber.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 6408 Single Weber 40 IDF Low Profile Kit - 1600 DP Reply with quote

We went back to stock 34 PICT Carb.

Runs great.

Good experience.

Changed end casting gaskets, rubber boots, heat risers, nuts, bolts, etc...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: