Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody put an automatic into an early bay?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

Post deleted. For a second there I forgot that Robbie knows it all and everything someone else posts or says is just an opinion, never a fact and never correct.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

“Feels like shit” is a personal preference. “Easy to push” is a statement.

Ever sat in SoCal traffic every day? You would think my clutch is the best in the world.

Having a broken ankle makes a difference; the bus is actually the easiest car for me to get in and out of, and there’s plenty of space for the boot. About halfway down the clutch pedal press is when the torn ligaments and broken ankle become the issue, not the boot... Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Anybody have one sitting around they could lend me? I’ll send it back in January after grinding off my fabrication tabs Wink

Robbie

You know I do.... pm me.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

Three points:

First, sorry you hurt yourself.
Second, there is no way that a scrawny leg is yours tough guy
Third, see if your health insurance will hire Skills to do the subby conversion with an automatic. <<<<< best answer
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Three points:

First, sorry you hurt yourself.
Second, there is no way that a scrawny leg is yours tough guy
Third, see if your health insurance will hire Skills to do the subby conversion with an automatic. <<<<< best answer

fourth point - Gary and his buddies will arrange to have your bus air-ferried to Skills. When Skills gets it he will work around the clock and sleep in his garage until it is finished. Then Gary and his buddies will arrange to have it air-ferried back to you.

Otherwise:

Link

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

I’m good for gas money to Alpine
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

that auto clutch for handicapable is nuts! I want that just for shits.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Well that sucks Robbie...

Well you got some lemons..........find the Vodka Wink

Come up here. Finish my 74 and Ill let you borrow it for a couple of months Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

I was thinking of offering you some work but this Daddy don’t give no free rides. Let me know when you get better. Notice I didn’t say “well”. We all know that will never happen 😃
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

I once saw a car at a car show, Hudson I believe, that had a very obvious shifter, plus what looked like a shifter on the column. I asked the owner about this.

He explained that rather than an automatic, Hudson developed a vacuum controlled system to do all the clutching and shifting for you.

You just flipped the lever on the dash, and the clutch pedal would automatically go down as if pressed, the shifter would go into the selected gear, and then the clutch pedal would come back up. The shift rod wasn't normally installed for this use.

However, under a plate on the floor was a nub to attach the shift rod. Apparently, the system was pretty neat when it worked, but with all the vacuum connections and diaphragms and actuators, when it began to develop vacuum leaks, the engine would develop running issues and system was often removed, with a standard gear shifter installed.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
loveevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

I have a Powerglide automatic transaxle in my early bay...

...and the Corvair aircooled 6 cylinder it mounts up to

works great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Post deleted. For a second there I forgot that Robbie knows it all and everything someone else posts or says is just an opinion, never a fact and never correct.

It's ok to forget this for a few seconds but not too long.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
richparker wrote:

It's ok to forget this for a few seconds but not too long.

We will always have the T3 head Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Well that sucks Robbie...

Well you got some lemons..........find the Vodka Wink

Come up here. Finish my 74 and Ill let you borrow it for a couple of months Wink

Dang Jason, that's a hell of an offer. I 'supervised' Brian's engine RnR yesterday, aka handed him tools from my seat. For the few seconds I set my foot down to adjust my wedgie, it hurt like hell so I'm going to have to take a pass on any work at least for a week or two until the pain subsides.

Same to you Gary, I appreciate the work offer; I'll let you know when I'm feeling "well 'nuff." Razz

loveevan wrote:
I have a Powerglide automatic transaxle in my early bay...

...and the Corvair aircooled 6 cylinder it mounts up to

works great!

Tell me more! Or come to Carmel Valley and I'll trade you buses for a bit. Buddy has to rack up another thousand miles if I want to hit 20k this year!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

Quote:
Buddy has to rack up another thousand miles if I want to hit 20k this year!

park it down by San Ysidro, or leave it at the airport. When you find it again it will have a lot more than that. Smile

Quote:
Hudson developed a vacuum controlled system to do all the clutching and shifting for you.

the pre-war 41 Packard we restored in San Diego had a feature like that except that when the switch was on all one had to do was lift the foot off the gas and the increase in vacuum pulled the clutch pedal down. As gas was reapplied, and the vacuum decreased the pedal smoothly engaged the clutch. It was a servo made from steel and leather.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

IF I find it again Shocked

The hand control clutch is working well enough, thanks for the inspiration Xevin.

We out here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

I pay in vicoden...(wait, that's frowned on pretty hard now) nevermind.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
I pay in vicoden...(wait, that's frowned on pretty hard now) nevermind.

Eh, I had some of that a few years ago and it messes with my my stomach too much... ...Flushed them a few days before I realized how much I could have sold them for.... Laughing

Robbie
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

.Flushed them a few days before I realized how much I could have sold them for

No wonder all the fish offshore are swimming sideways
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody put an automatic into an early bay? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2083796

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: