Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Starting issues!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Hey all, Im having some starting issues with my 84 Vanagon. It was running fine, I parked it for a few hours and cam back and nothing. It is turning over, but will no start. By turning over i mean i can hear the starter engaging. I have gone through electrical and see no issues. I have spark off the coil, and at the plugs. I pulled injectors off left rail and had some one turn key, and i had no spray. But earlier when i had pulled a plug, I could smell fuel on it and in the cylinder. So i went underneath to check out fuel pump, and im not hearing any noise, nor do i have any power? at FP. I do have continuity from power to ground at FP. So after, i checked fuel pump relay and replaced with brand new one, still having same issue? Why woulndt i have any power at the fuel pump if it comes directly from relay, where i have 12.6 volts??
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Do you hear the little whir of the fuel pump when you turn the ignition from off to the on position? I hear a little whir when I do that. Perhaps it is the AFM (Air Flow Meter). I was having lots of trouble starting, and I could get it to start if I feathered the gas for 10-15 minutes. I've also had other AFM issues where it dies all of a sudden while driving and then I can't get it started. (Turns over but does not fire up). There are some youtube videos on how to test your AFM with a multimeter.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

So just to clarify, you are getting voltage at the relay (going to the fuel pump), but no voltage at the fuel pump? If that's correct then are you sure you've got the correct relay/connection?

Also, Vanlover22, you should check out your idle control unit box. I had a lot of issues like you mentioned and was all fixed by replacing the idle control unit box. Try bypassing the box when youre having starting issues (unplug both plugs from box and plug them together). You will idle rough but if it starts after bypass then you know it might be a problem.
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Correct i have power at relay. Which as far as i understand, is on the right. I have 12.6 volts there. But when i go underneath and test power at fuel pump, i only have continuity to ground, no power.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Vanagoneer wrote:
Correct i have power at relay. Which as far as i understand, is on the right. I have 12.6 volts there. But when i go underneath and test power at fuel pump, i only have continuity to ground, no power.

So for a relay to 'activate' there needs to be a source. So when you turn key over it should run for like 2 seconds or so. Does your relay put out 12v for 2 seconds when key is turned to 'ignition on' this is priming the engine I think.
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Do you have continuity from the relay to the fuel pump if the fuel pump is disconnected? You may need a long wire and some alligator clips to help you test. The Bentley (page 97.55) shows the relay connecting to the fuel pump. Here's some diagnostic steps I found that may help.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Fuel-Pump208.htm

shagginwagon83, I'm all set, a more experienced mechanic got me going. Idle stabilizer was bypassed but that didn't help. New old stock AFM and Temp II sensor got me going.
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

I have not tested continuity from the relay to the fuel pump. But I will tomorrow. Also after reading your response I looked at Vanagonauts.com posting you sent, and put a lead across the top and bottom of relay socket and still no power at FP. I guess ill need to run a new wire from socket to FP?? Is it just a direct run? or does it go through ECU first? As far as i can tell from the Bentley it just goes directly from relay to FP.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

I would not suspect a wire, though it certainly could be. Get a piece of wire long enough to run from the battery to the fuel pump and install a female spade terminal on one end. Attach this end to the "+" side of the fuel pump and then touch the other end of the wire to the "+" post on the battery. The fuel pump should run. If not then either the fuel pump is bad, or its ground is bad.
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

From the diagram in the Bentley it looks like the relay is controlled by pin 20 on the "Fuel Cntrl Unit" (ECU). When the ECU turns on the relay, the relay then in turn turns on the fuel pump. I think the relay is connected directly to the fuel pump.

There's some more diagnostics on page 66 on this VW vanagon digijet manual. I can check mine tomorrow.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Digijet_FI.pdf
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

I connected my voltmeter to the terminals for the fuel pump. When I turn the key from off to on, it applies 12v for 1 second, then turns off. I also hear a little whir for 1 second. I think this primes the engine for starting. In the starting position it supplies 12v continuously. I think the test described by Wildthings is the right test to see if the fuel pump is good.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
...Get a piece of wire long enough to run from the battery to the fuel pump and install a female spade terminal on one end. Attach this end to the "+" side of the fuel pump and then touch the other end of the wire to the "+" post on the battery. The fuel pump should run...

I would do that before trying anything else. It will rule in or rule out a faulty pump. Either way you can move on.

BTW - It is a pretty good idea to carry at least one jumper wire with alligator clips that is long enough to reach from anywhere on the van to anywhere else on the van.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Out of gas?
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Alright, thanks everyone. So i found a faulty connection at back of relay socket wasnt sending power to FP. Have no fixed that, and have 12.9 volts at fuel pump, and can hear it whirling....but unfortunately still isn't starting. Going to back track now that i know FP is running and check injectors for spray... short of that im not sure where to go next
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Update. I only have power at FP when i put jumper across top and bottom of fuel pump socket. Do not have power when i put in old relays or two new relays that i bought yesterday....Is there a good way to test these relays with a meter?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Spark, air, compression, and fuel!

You said it was working previously right? Overlook everything you messed with. Make sure you're injectors are spraying. Clean engine grounds if you haven't already and look for vacuum leaks. See if it will start with starting fluid
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Ive looked over everything.. Injectors are not spraying, and fuel pump does not run unless i put a jumper across top and bottom of relay socket. With new or old relays in I am not getting power at Fuel pump..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Vanagoneer wrote:
Ive looked over everything.. Injectors are not spraying, and fuel pump does not run unless i put a jumper across top and bottom of relay socket. With new or old relays in I am not getting power at Fuel pump..

Does the fuel pump run even momentarily when you turn the key on at this point?

Have you checked the fuel injection grounds on the left side of the engine compartment?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Vanagoneer wrote:

Question....
When you jumper and make the fuel pump run, does the engine start and run just fine?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Quote:
Question....
When you jumper and make the fuel pump run, does the engine start and run just fine?

No, it still will not start even when i put jumper across the scoket.

Wildthings, FP only runs with jumpers. I will go through and double check grounds...Although i replaced all ground straps a few months ago while having other issues. Ill have to go back and double check.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Starting issues! Reply with quote

Have you done the LED test in Bentley to see if injectors are getting power?

That seems like the red flag here- injectors aren't spraying. Why? Doing the LED test and the pin test from Bentley would be next steps for me.

Do you have the Digijet ProTraining manual downloaded/printed?

http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Digijet_FI.pdf

The LED tests and pin tests are also outlined in the above link.

Also, ignition switch?

When you jumper the pump and it runs, do the injectors spray when ignition/started engaged?

If the injectors don't spray when you have the pump rigged with the jumper, that seems to indicate an ECU issue as it what tells both the pump and the injectors to do their respective jobs...

I realize I'm kind of all over the place on my suggestions, just trying to help out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: