Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump cutoff switch
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

I’d like to install a fuel pump switch inside the vanagon life console. Looking for a suitable switch to use. I’d like it to be enclosed, ie the back can be stuck to a flat surface instead of having connecting pins showing.

I found something that looks good on Amazon:

JIANFA Car DIY Switch Water Drop Shape Button Switch OFF/ON DC 12V For Fog Lights, DRL, LED Light Bar, etc

(Sorry couldn’t figure out how to copy link)

The specs say it is a 200mA switch. Would this be suitable for the fuel pump?

If not any suggestions for another switch? Should I also use a fuse in the wiring to or from the pump?

Thanks. I was planning on just using a battery cutoff but it would stop the clock each time. Looking for an alternative shut off
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

If you want to disable the fuel pump with a toggle switch, you will want to disable the fuel pump at the power relay, not the actual pump. The pump could draw up to 8 amps and a cheap toggle won't handle that amount of load.

Looking at the Bentley manual page 97.55 on current track 17 there is a ground for the power supply relay pin. With out a ground, that will disable the injectors and the fuel pump relay effectively without seeing a lot of load. I would install my toggle on that leg.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

Or just ground
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

installing a toggle switch on the ground side of the pump?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

It would help if you stated your reason for wanting the switch. Wink
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

Theft protection. I also saw that Bostig is selling a inertial fuel pump switch. Looks like that might work and also get some protection in a crash. Though I wonder what type of everyday bump might trigger it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

I remember an idea of having a time delay which would cut the engine off after a minute or so of running. This gave the perps time to get the car into traffic at which point it would die and they would tend to abandon it, whereas if you just keep the engine from starting in the first place they would be more inclined to spend the time to figure out why it doesn't start.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
installing a toggle switch on the ground side of the pump?

The electrical load of the fuel pump is through that ground wire. It would take a really good quality high rated amp toggle switch to handle that continuous load. Would it keep the pump from running if someone tried to steal it? Certainly, but it could leave you stranded if the switch did die. I use double pole single throw switches in my race car without relays. If one set of contacts fails, the switch still works. They are not cheap.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

^^^
Are you saying the ground has amps running throught it? Isnt the current used by the pump?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
^^^
Are you saying the ground has amps running throught it? Isnt the current used by the pump?

The current is like water flowing through a pipe. What goes in one end has to come out on the other. The voltage at the pump ground connection may be minor, but the amperage is still going to be around 8 amps, it doesn't get diminished in the slightest.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

^^^^
Ok thanks I need to read up on this. Ground wire at pump is tiny. I would think that a small switch would be sufficient. So if my fridge is using 5 amps are you saying that fuel pump is using more? And are you also saying that if you are putting in 8 amps to a motor there will be 8 flowing out as well? I would think that some of the amps are used as force? Or are you saying 8 amps @ 12v in and 8 amps at 1v out. Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

What I am saying is that toggle switches are better suited to operating relays. They can be used without a relay, but must be rated for the load they will carry. Most quality toggles are rated for continuous amps at specific volts. As the voltage goes down, the amps go up. No load difference if the switch is in front of the load or after it. There is an advantage to switching grounds with toggles. The consumer will absorb the arch when the switch is opened. This does save the switch contacts, but negligible.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Or are you saying 8 amps @ 12v in and 8 amps at 1v out. Thanks

12 volts in and maybe 0.10 volt out, both at 8 amps.

Any small gauge wire on VW part is an attempt to make the bean counters happy.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

So what's the consensus here? A toggle switch from the fuel pump ground (and if so, how beefy?) or one from the fuel pump relay? I have some open time coming up and this is one of the jobs I was considering tackling but want to tap into the collective wisdom first.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

Interrupt the wire with the smallest load, the relay ground....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

Either hot or ground just use apropriate size wire and switch. I would use ground as at most you are using 8 watts. Ground switched could also be easily reversable.

So hot. 12v X 8 amps =96watts
Ground. .10v X 8 amps = 8 watts
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

^^^ Sorry to say, but your responses here indicate that you are still working on
understanding basic electrical theory. Please stop before someone gets hurt... Sad

Check it: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec11.pdf

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Either hot or ground just use apropriate size wire and switch. I would use ground as at most you are using 8 watts. Ground switched could also be easily reversable.

So hot. 12v X 8 amps =96watts
Ground. .10v X 8 amps = 8 watts

0.10 volts x 8 amps = 0.8 watts Wink
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

I suggested what I feel is the proper way to interrupt the circuit in my first post. The electrical diagram is clear which wire to add the interrupt switch to. If you want to still swim against the current, add the toggle you originally asked about to the fuel pump ground wire and see how long it lasts. 6 month updates will be nice. Install the switch in such a way that you can easily bypass it in case it fails.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cutoff switch Reply with quote

And the problem with fooling with the fuel pump is that when the kill switch fails it will leave you stranded on the side of the road, possibly in a dangerous place. Also makes trouble shooting a pain since you have added another failure mode.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: