Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitcoin
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Just bought $100 worth of Bitcoin. They say if I'd of bought $1000 dollars back in ~2010 I'd be a millionaire today. We'll see what happens, I may have bought in at the peak
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

And if I bought Microsoft or Amazon 20 years ago, i'd be a billionaire.

Would of, could of.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

yup, you are about a decade too late to the party. Who knows, it could possibly go higher, or, it could become worthless overnight when people decide not to accept it for anything. Either way $100 buys you a very small fraction of one Bitcoin.
The real money was in generating Bitcoin. I dunno if you can even do that anymore. Used to be you just needed some dedicated servers and a connection to the TOR network to facilitate transactions.
I knew a hacker type who was on it in about 2008-9 who told me to set up a wallet or start generating. "not worth my time" I think I recall saying. A bitcoin was worth like $3 then. Kick myself everyday over that, but, at the time, it was primarily used to buy drugs, credit card numbers, fake identities, and put hits on people online. No joke you could find a hitman on "the dark web" at that time. I wasn't tryin to be the Web John Gotti at the time so I let it pass.
Now there are restaurants in Cambridge that accept it and a couple of ATMs that let you draw US currency from your Bitcoin account here and there around the city.
Not just for blatant criminals anymore I suppose!
And to think it all blew up from a Magic the Gathering trade website!
What a time to be alive.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Would of, could of.

Would have, could have, should have.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Yep.. a group at my university were having mining competitions, just on their desktop computers. Can't do that anymore, moved from that to graphics card clusters to special purpose-built ASIC boards.
The way it's setup it gets harder to 'mine' each coin as more are 'found', up to a finite number of coins.

I somewhat wish I'd joined in at the time ('free' electricity in the dorms too!), but honestly I probably would have sold when it hit $100

Don't think anyone could have predicted it'd be where it is now, and I don't think anyone can predict when it'll crash. 'cause it will.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Would of, could of.

Would have, could have, should have.

D'oh

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Just bought $100 worth of Bitcoin.
We'll see what happens, I may have bought in at the peak

Don't invest anything more than you are willing to lose and you will be ok.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

I am investing heavily in Cabbage-Patch Kids and Beanie Babies.
(I'm gonna get RICH, I tell ya.)
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I am investing heavily in Cabbage-Patch Kids and Beanie Babies.
(I'm gonna get RICH, I tell ya.)

thats the thing, more beanie babies and cabbage patch kids can be made, flooding the market.
The entire concept behind bitcoin was and still is that there is a finite number according to the algorithm used to generate (mine) them. The value has been going up over the last decade as more and more people use them. As the demand for use increases the value of a single bitcoin goes up as it is divvied up more and more for use.
There was already a major crash in them when Mt. Gox, the largest trader, essentially embezzled a shitload of it (they controlled abut 70% of all bitcoin at the time) and boarded up shop basically overnight. Obviously a huge crash in 70% supply didn't kill it, and that was like 5 years ago.
It has merit.
Like any other currency its only good so long as people believe in it and keep using it.
All currency is imaginary and backed by literally nothing.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Once it gets hacked (and it will eventually get hacked) the value will crash like a drunken Kennedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I should of bought into the other currency's instead cause they're taking off today.

Anyone want to buy $99 worth of bitcoin? lol
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

$87 worth of Bitcoin? What am I gonna do with $114.50 worth of Bitcoin?
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Onceler wrote:

$87 worth of Bitcoin? What am I gonna do with $114.50 worth of Bitcoin?

Exactly. It moves too fast. I'm a forex day trader and have been playing around with bitcoin in the past month. Because of how it moves, I can't use my standard entrance/exit strategies with it. I found the best thing to do is just leave it in, no matter what way it goes. Right now the trend it up. It may go down a thousand dollars one day and back up in half an hour. I've tried a few different things, but now I'm just leaving it in until it doubles, pulling out, and reinvesting the profits. Now I'm trading twice as much.

Some analysts are saying it could go as high as $85K by the end of 2018. But then again, it could be worth $1.00 in the same time. I've missed enough opportunities, so I'm going with this one. I am not, and will not, mortgage my future on it. If I don't have the available cash sitting around to invest in it, I'm not investing.

Bitcoin is now the largest investment bubble in recorded history, surpassing the 17th century tulip mania.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-12/its-offic...ld-history

As Everett said:
everettB wrote:
Don't invest anything more than you are willing to lose and you will be ok.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Hey notchback, any thoughts on the next bubble? I was too young for the dot on and too broke for housing, probably too late on the Bitcoin. Just need a few easy million, lol
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

This is actually a unique fusion of 3 experiences 1- communication 2- storing value 3- purchase power . It is a unique hybrid that encompass both abilities found in commodity and fiat currency. It also complies with Aristotles 5 rules of money. It will be wildly unstable at this phase as it attracts new users and the exchanges must be very well examined/regulated. Every crypto coin user is slowly but surely bleeding fiat currency . It is the third wave - first was websites, second social media. These are not my observations BTW, Max Kieser and John MacAffie have correctly analysed / predicted this rise. Very soon wealth will measured against crypto not fiat currency. It only makes sense as a long term investment, again reflected in the current reality of many buyers very few sellers. Hang onto your $100 for 6 months and then buy stuff directly with bitcoin.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Hold onto it for 20 years and get back to us then. Make sure you store the bitcoin somehow so it can't be stolen.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

No problem, I keep all my usernames and passwords under the mattress...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

What else do you keep under there?
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Just playboys from the 90's, just as valuable
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Are they valuable with spots and crinkles?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: