Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitcoin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Buyer Beware is the central rule of capitalism and " light bulb technology did not come about by continual improvements to candle making ". This is a fundamental shift that is already striking fear ( new EU regulations on exchanges) in the hearts of the financial system. Crypto is an unstoppable extension of the free flow of information. That cat is out of the bag, because it is how 8 billion people want to interact. Governmental efforts of control will fail as there are too many independent delivery systems tied to actual commerce. I'm sure horses and buggys sold ok for awhile once automobiles hit the scene, until no one made them anymore.

Skeptics "just don't get it" is another universal feature of bubbles. I heard it in a pitch about Enron, and from an e-business portal with a $9 billion market cap on $20 million in revenue...both bankrupt soon thereafter.

Block chain is exciting new technology, but you are still trusting that someone or something somewhere will give you your money or goods when you ask for it. There have already been hacks where people's bitcoins are simply gone, with no possibility of getting them back.

I think people are underestimating the ability of governments to control commerce, and the possibility that the public will actually demand it.

EverettB wrote:
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

True, but the real drivers here will be 4 billion Asians and their $7 trillion in savings. If they convert much of that to crypto-currency, it will have the potential to cause huge economic disruption if they all head for the exit at the same time. If that happens, it will be good to have some dollars in an FDIC insured account at a crusty old bank, and a central bank to print some more of them to restore liquidity.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

China is strongly indicating they want to distance themselves from US treasury bonds and has announced it will no longer accept foreign waste ( sounds unrelated but its not). How fast are the enormous amount of dollars out there going to be crypto exchanged ? Very fast. Losses and theft of Bitcoin has been through the exchanges not through the base technology ( much like banks loose money for depositors all the time ). Crypto has been declared dead by dozens of financial "authorities" , yet it keeps thriving due to its decentralized nature. Crypto is a means of communication that has the broadest implication in human history.

Time will tell the tale on this outcome soon enough.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Time will tell the tale on this outcome soon enough.

Yep. It'll be a fun ride, with fortunes made and lost, and unintended consequences we can only imagine.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
much like banks lose money for depositors all the time

How?

From
https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/banking/facts/
"No depositor has ever lost a penny of insured deposits since the FDIC was created in 1933."
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Money deposited into a zero ( or near zero ) interest rate account is losing value due to inflation, continually . The relationship between banks and fractional lending from the Federal Reserve creates an inherent disadvantage to participating citizens that would be recognized as fraud in any other arena.

Not all banks are FDIC insured and there are limits (which vary from time to time) to recovery in case of failure that have left many depositors without satisfaction. The Savings and Loan scandal in the 90's is a prime example.

QE programs by the Fed are a prime example of the type of abuse peer to peer financial arrangements seek to extinguish. Crypto is volatile, however its "organic" nature is very attractive, especially as a global platform. The old paradigm of various fiat currencies are too slow and cumbersome for the ever accelerating pace of international transactions .
Earl 78 westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Is it possible to "collect" dollars back from Coinbase?

I invested a couple hundred bucks a few months back. It has since grown, so to speak. If I want to retrieve my "profits", can i do that?

I have looked at it briefly and it seems it cannot be done.

check out my stuff on ebay....
http://www.ebay.com/sch/simplefundesigns/m.html?_n...ksid=p3686

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

purchase goods and services directly w/bitcoin. Or sell them through exchanges
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Link

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

What's your opinion of buying gold & silver? I'm talking about actually possessing the metal bullion not a certificate of ownership from an investment group.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
What's your opinion of buying gold & silver? I'm talking about actually possessing the metal bullion not a certificate of ownership from an investment group.

Unless L'il Kimmy lands one of his nukes on the states or some other evil empire contrives a way to crash global markets you aren't going to see much of a gain in short term ownership. I haven't been watching the prices seriously lately but any gains seem to be fairly close to inflation or the interest another investment may pay, more often than not even less.
It's a good way to store (hide) surplus funds, and it's fun to play with a little bar of soap sized brick that's super heavy and sometimes worth more than your car. It rarely goes down much, and if some sort of epic hack or natural disaster strikes it may be just what you need, it is the universal currency after all.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

That reminds me of the silver certificate dollars. You can exchange those for bullion but they are worth more now than the actual bullion.

Diversification is the key. Own a little this, a little that, and the other. One goes up. The other goes down. You hope to even out.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Aaaannd..... bitcoin promptly loses 1/3 of its market value today, before rebounding to only have lost 1/4....

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

It always reverts back to gold. Why? Inherent value.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Also, when the proverbial shit hits the fan, you can hold money, or gold in your hand and trade directly with anyone for food, gas, etc in real time on the spot with no electricity or account required. Same goes for dollars, which will probably be devalued severely by then.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

I'm out. It popped back up today, and I'm taking my $75 profit and declaring victory. I have a nagging feeling that now that Wall Street is getting involved, there may be a short-selling raid by someone with deep pockets to see if they can drive people out. If they are able to make a temporary crash, maybe I'll jump back in. If I do I'll look for someone other than Coinbase, their fees are too high.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Wall street has very little to do with Bitcoin. 70% of the users are in Asia. The dollar centered view that Americans embrace is in antithesis of this type of exchange. The more users Bitcoin has , the more stable it becomes. Futures trading will help smooth some highs and lows. The exchanges are in definite need of improvement.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Wall street has very little to do with Bitcoin. 70% of the users are in Asia. The dollar centered view that Americans embrace is in antithesis of this type of exchange. The more users Bitcoin has , the more stable it becomes. Futures trading will help smooth some highs and lows. The exchanges are in definite need of improvement.

We'll see. It doesn't matter if it's dollars, won or renminbi, when the margin calls come, it's an avalanche.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

hey! you already made money, which puts Bitcoin way ahead of say, a saving account at a bank ( Bankers must just laugh till they piss when they see chumps open one of those ). I find the whole process fascinating to watch, I have not invested in crypto as of yet.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Just remember, history repeats itself. Always.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
It always reverts back to gold. Why? Inherent value.

Gold is tangible, you can take it with you and accepted worldwide.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: