Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and Fan Shroud - Nuts and Bolts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasianBusBoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Engine and Fan Shroud - Nuts and Bolts Reply with quote

Hello all-

I am trying to piece together an 1800cc (Type 4) for my 74 bus.... it did come with a few nuts and the engine studs are still on the case. The Bentley has a few diagrams that show what kind of bolt goes to where but I can't seem to find what is needed for some areas or whether a washer is supposed to be used. for example, I was able to find the nuts that secure the fan shroud to the engine case and the bolts that secure the fan. Do any of those areas originally use washers?

Thanks in advance
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Fan Shroud - Nuts and Bolts Reply with quote

If you are tightening against aluminium or magnesium you need to use a flat/wavy washer or a non serrated washer head bolt. For steel a washer is not always needed or even wanted. Frequently the automotive industry goes for washer head bolts as washers can be a point of failure. Usually the wavy washers are of decent quality, but certain stay away from soft washers for most uses in the engine compartment. 8.8 metric fasteners and Grade 5 American fasteners should not be your first choice for most automotive applications.

I grab automotive quality bolts whenever I visit a wrecking yard and see them laying around and if I need a specific bolt will look in the boxes at the hardware store for washer/flange head bolts, which are typically sold in a 10.9 strength.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: