Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

hello,

I have a 1978 vw high roof camper bus. I bought it from a family friend, site unseen, for a nice low price.

He said he doesn't remember any gear grinding when he drove it, fairly recently.

For me though, it grinds, a lot, going into 3rd gear from 2nd, and downshifting to 3rd from 4th.

I can shift out of second, wiggle it around a bit in neutral, and ease it into 3rd from the far right (while the engine speed reduces as well) and get it into 3rd with much less and sometimes no grinding.

i can shift down from 4th, hang out in neutral while the engine slows a little, then shift while accelerating and get less grinding into the downshift to 3rd.

double clutching doesn't seem make a difference

I was informed that the previous owner had just gotten a new clutch installed, so perhaps something happened there, because while the old clutch shuddered at bit, he does not recall any problem shifting to 3rd.

other than the grinding into 3rd, the trans works great, no popping out of gears, even under load, and all other gears shift smooth every time.

so, the question is, is there anything that could cause this other than a worn or broken syncro... ...as in anything I can fix or adjust without paying a whole lot for a rebuild and install?

thanks

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

If the clutch is adjusted correctly then its rebuild time. Do it sooner rather than later before there is nothing left to rebuild

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

Indeed the first thing to check would be the clutch cable adjustment. If you have too much free play, then the clutch could be not completely disengaging when you are pushing the pedal down - which is very hard on the syncros.

Adjust the clutch cable so the free play is as specified in Bentley.

If it still grinds going into 3rd after that, then Skills already told you what's next.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

Why don't you have your friend drive it and see if he sees anything odd in the way it shifts. As others mentioned it could be an out of adjustment clutch. Did you change the gear oil in the tranny? These units typically don't like GL-5 oils which is the reason the VW recommended using only GL-4 oils.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

loveevan wrote:
hello,

I can shift out of second, wiggle it around a bit in neutral, and ease it into 3rd from the far right (while the engine speed reduces as well) and get it into 3rd with much less and sometimes no grinding.

i can shift down from 4th, hang out in neutral while the engine slows a little, then shift while accelerating and get less grinding into the downshift to 3rd.

double clutching doesn't seem make a difference

Have you adjusted the shift plate? And how are you shifting? Because of the length of the shift rod I'm slower to shift in my Bus than my Ghia or any other manual car I've owned. It's curious that double clutching doesn't help too. It really should. Where did you learn the technique?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

the stop plate might be broken also. It commonly breaks on the 3rd gear side. If that isn't it then shift slower. Mark the position of the stop plate and cover before removing it. Also check the bushing for the shift tube nose, and the tightness of the shift cage.

They break where the red arrows are:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

Rebuild time, sorry. I’ve been there before.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Rebuild time, sorry. I’ve been there before.

Are you volunteering, aeromech? Razz. The OP is also in Sandy Eggo...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

Sure but I won’t be open for a couple months
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
loveevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

I didn't get out there today to work on it, hopefully tomorrow.

to sum up the suggestions, or maybe to ask for clarification and consensus, is it possible to get grinding in just one gear due to sloppy linkage or maladjusted clutch cable or shift lever?

or is all grinding inherently a syncro issue?

obviously I'm hoping for an easy fix, but I can take the news if that is not ever as cause of grinding

Smile

on a hopefully unnecessary side note, what does it cost to rebuild one of these late bay trans?

thanks for helping, i appreciate it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

grinding can be a synchro or the wrong oil (too slippery). It can also be that the wrong gear is being engaged. Synchro would be the first suspect because it spins the gear up to the same speed before the hub locks it. GL4 gear oil is the preferred gear oil because GL5 and synthetics can contaminate moly coated synchro rings and make them too slippery. Also shifting slower can help a little too.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

A few years ago my buddy Dan and I went together to flip this 1978 bus

It would gear grind when shifting from second to third.

The rebuild cost us about $850 as I recall

You can bet we tried all options before pulling that transmission

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

Gary - you are so lucky to be near Eric. He is a great transmission builder. To others - when Rick Long closed up shop he told me that Eric is the best in the business these days. http://www.transworks.biz/
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: grinds only into 3rd, could it be something other than syncro? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Gary - you are so lucky to be near Eric. He is a great transmission builder. To others - when Rick Long closed up shop he told me that Eric is the best in the business these days. http://www.transworks.biz/

He's got one of mine in work right now

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: