Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

TLDR below this paragraph.

Well, yesterday started off pretty normal. Woke up at 13,000ft in the clean mountain air of the Cordillera Blanca and started our 6 hour drive to Lima to spend a day or two before heading farther south. The drive was nice, we were making good time, and all was well until we hit the massive urban sprawl of Lima. I've gotten pretty good at driving like a South American, so the traffic and driving was fairly normal, although my wife still screams and yells at people every time we cut it close. We exit the panam to go through town towards the ocean and get stuck at a horrible stoplight that just takes forever. I am usually overly cautious about coolant issues so I had the front and rear heaters blowing hot air so as to keep the temp down. The temp needle was just in the middle but rather safe than sorry, right? Well, we get to the front of the line to turn and are stuck at the red light when the bus driver I just cut off gets out of the bus and tells me I'm leaking coolant. Great. I pull over to the side and immediately knew what happened. The coolant level sensor blew clean out of the tank, leaving the threads in there and spewing all of my coolant onto the road. Traffic was only going to get worse so it was either try to go the 14km to where we were going to camp, or wait until traffic hopefully died down at 9-10pm. We decided to go for it and I'm pretty sure I lost a few years of my life due to that stress. I put our drinking water in the coolant tank, cracked the pressure cap on the tank, and stuffed a sock into the now empty sensor hole. I heard Lima traffic was bad, but it's 1000000 times worse when you're worried about overheating and cant turn on any of the streets that Google is telling you to. If I drove like a madman before, this was some next level shit. Three hours of maddening driving later and uttering more curse words than I have in the past 5 months in South America, we made it to where we were going and walked to the closest brewery to get some liquid relaxation. Now I have to go searching for this part.

That was story time, now onto the real purpose of this post:
Yesterday marked the third time in the 11+ years I've owned the van where the coolant level sensor blew out of the tank, and two of those times have been in the last 2 months here in South America. The last time it happened made sense - a belt broke so pressure/temp built up and it shot out. This time though I was just sitting in traffic, the coolant temp was normal, and there didn't seem to be any reason that there would be enough pressure to blow out the sensor. Granted, we did just drive from 13,000ft to sea level, but we had done that before without issue. Anyone have any idea why pressure keeps building up enough to blow the sensor clean out?
The only thing I could think of was that the cap on the tank isn't releasing pressure like it's supposed to to the tank behind the license plate. As far as I know, that's the only pressure relief in the system, but the cap was replaced two years ago when I replaced the engine. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

It's really stupid because it's a tiny part, but it's still hard to get down here and without it I am stuck. I do have a friend who has a shipment from Gowesty coming here in the next two weeks so at the very least I'll get a replacement then but if this keeps happening I'll end up shit out of luck somewhere eventually. I am also going to try to find a few replacements locally just in case...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Your friend could send you the tank by rocky mountain westy not cheap but you would not have to worry
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Sorry about your troubles. Yes, I drove in Peru once (not Lima) and I swear it took five years off my life, although my biggest fear was an encounter with the Policia de Transito.

Are you sure your radiator and fan are functional?
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Sorry about your troubles. Yes, I drove in Peru once (not Lima) and I swear it took five years off my life, although my biggest fear was an encounter with the Policia de Transito.

Are you sure your radiator and fan are functional?

Then you feel my pain. Only had one encounter with the Policia on the drive yesterday but luckily they sent me on my way after looking at my documents.

Fan is definitely turning on, though I don't think it was on when this happened. The radiator and the fan switch/sensor on the side are both fairly new (2 years more or less). That would make sense if the fan wasn't working, but the temp was still normal. My buddy here who is getting the gowesty shipment actually has a fan issue and when his overheats it bubbles over to the expansion tank and out of the little vent holes on top of it. It doesn't blow the sensor out like mine does.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

these are not solutions but maybe ideas to help.

I've had a plan to install a T-fitting in the heater hose (anywhere in coolant system) and run a small capillary line to a small (low) 0-15psi pressure gauge..

you can adapt in a different cars coolant bottle, but I'd likely go with an all aluminum one for your remote travels. else one of those spheres that VW used in MK-III jettas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Agreed on the Rocky Mountain tank. I have one and it is bullet proof.
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. Unfortunately, I was limited to small parts on this order because it's a friend whose wife is carrying stuff back on a plane ride to Lima. And I also missed the cutoff for ordering. I actually already ordered the temp sensor before it blew out again to have as a spare.

Either way, I'll see what I can do and try to get more locally. Could it really be the tank that is the problem? If pressure is building up and the only way it's getting released is by blowing the sensor then maybe putting in a metal tank would cause the next weakest part of the system to blow out (blow off or rupture a hose, break another plastic piece in the system, etc).
Not really sure if that's the case, but that's what I'm wondering.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

the pressure cap should release way before the sensor blows out so you should get a new pressure cap.

after blowing out the first time, there MAY be some thread damage that makes it easier to blow out but those are thick cut threads and the tank must be swelling up like a puffer fish to release the sensor.

get a new cap for sure, then a new tank if it is available to you. the plastic threads on the sensor are a harder plastic than the tank so that should be okay.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I had that happen once on a trip and used a potato (cut to size) to screw into the hole and bump the threads to loosen them up. I also used it to plug the hole till I got home. Then again, that was an emergency road trip fix, so your options are more varied than mine.

Peter, there are about 4000 varieties of potato's in Peru. You just have to try a couple of thousand more. Very Happy

Good luck, I'm sure you will work it out.

Mike
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

I have seen many times when folks have put a hole in the cap to run without any pressure because of a coolant leak that the pressure was making worse. Perhaps you can find a rubber bung that fits and put a hole in it to drive gently.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the low atmospheric pressure at that altitude is a contributing factor.

If your sensor was on the small side of 'Good' and the opening on the pressure bottle on the high side I could see the internal pressure overcoming the threads and popping the sensor.

Maybe Rocky Mountain's aluminium tank is the answer.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

blackglasspirate, I'm enjoying following your journey and reliving my trip south. I guess that my wife and I got lucky and didn't have the pleasure of experiencing the nightmarish Lima traffic.

I agree with you, it seems like too much pressure is building up even though those sensors/pressure tanks are crap. Maybe you could use the old sensor to try to pressure test your cap. Drill a hole in it and glue a bicycle valve in so that you can hook up a pump and try to confirm whether or not the pressure cap is opening up at the right pressure.

Altitude won't affect this system significantly unless there is a significant amount of air that hasn't been bled out. Even if this was the case, you'd get more pressure going from sea level up to elevation.

If you think that your "day or two" in Lima may extend out to a week or two, it might be worth finding an aluminum fabricator that could weld you up an aluminum expansion tank to your specifications. I vaguely remember reading another panam traveler's blog that found a fantastic 4x4 shop in Lima which helped them out with vehicle issues that they were having. I'll see if I can figure out who that was, or if I am mis-remembering.

!Suerte!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Yes you can put a hole in the cap so that coolant freely flows between the pressure tank and the overflow tank. Unless it is really hot out that should work well. In desperation you could do this and raise the overflow tank to roof level which would maintain about 2 psi in the cooling system.

With the Rocky Mountain tank you also have the option of running a 4-7 psi pressure cap, which lowers the stresses on the entire cooling system. You might actually be able to have a tank built locally if you can find the right craftsman.

If you are getting a combustion leak it can overwhelm the ability of the cap to release pressure. Crying or Very sad

This is a fairly new replacement tank off of my 83 1/2. I don't think it saw anything beyond normal pressures and temperatures as the van was just idling in the driveway and the fan had been kicking off and on as expected, but as you can see the plastic began to deform.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And it came very close to costing me an engine when the threads deformed and the cap blow off the tank.

I have been running 4-7 psi caps on several of my older rigs for a decade plus at this point in time and had noticeably few problems with the cooling systems.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Farf wrote:

Peter, there are about 4000 varieties of potato's in Peru. You just have to try a couple of thousand more. Very Happy

Believe me, the thought crossed my mind. We even had some potatoes in the car too but they were those small orange-looking ones that would have fallen in and made boiled potato coolant!

Tim, you're lucky you didn't deal with the traffic! We only came into Lima because our friend had just gotten here and told us it wasn't that bad. Guess it's all about timing.

Here's a picture of the sensor after blowing out. As you can see, the tank isn't expanding to release the sensor intact. It's separating the sensor from its own threads.

The level in the overflow tank behind the license plate was at its normal level, so it doesn't seem like the cap ever opened up to spill over into there. Once I get a new sensor or something else to plug the hole with, I can maybe do a pressure test. I wonder if I could also plug a hose onto the nozzle coming from the cap with a water pressure gauge at the other end to see if it's opening and what the PSI is. Kind of similar to my makeshift oil pressure gauge I made when I was having that issue, I just can't use the same one or I'll get oil residue in the coolant Confused

Having something fabricated doesn't sound like a bad idea - I'll look into it. How long we're around here depends on when I can get another sensor, so we'll see. Luckily this spot isn't a bad place to be broken down. Nice neighborhood with an ocean view - some people pay good money for that kind of thing!
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

This is a fairly new replacement tank off of my 83 1/2. I don't think it saw anything beyond normal pressures and temperatures as the van was just idling in the driveway and the fan had been kicking off and on as expected, but as you can see the plastic began to deform.

Yikes! That looks pretty bad. Mine doesn't seem to have any sort of obvious deformation, but now I'm going to have to inspect it a little more closely...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

I bought my first Vanagon in Lima. There was a bad two car backup onto the I390 on ramp too.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

To me that looks more like an over-tightened sensor. The sensor has a o-ring at the top of the threads.
Once you screw it in to the point that the o-ring is fully seated it hurts rather than helps to make it any tighter. If you keep tightening, the corners of the black "nut" hit the tank and then you are stressing the sensor plastic threads needlessly.

Mark
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

Quote:
I vaguely remember reading another panam traveler's blog that found a fantastic 4x4 shop in Lima which helped them out with vehicle issues that they were having.

Is this the one you were thinking of?
https://landcruisingadventure.com/fire-wheels-in-lima/
BlackGlassPirate- You guys have incredible perseverance! Good luck!
James
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

I honestly don't get why people travel to "3rd" World Countries in a Vanagon with known failure prone cooling system plastic parts.........

But then again, I freely admit that I worry a lot about the "What Ifs".......... hence my excessive inventory of spare parts and tools that I carry!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=720

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant level sensor woes and the traffic hell-hole we call Lima Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I honestly don't get why people travel to "3rd" World Countries in a Vanagon with known failure prone cooling system plastic parts.........

Plastic parts be damned...you meet the most interesting people when you step out of your comfort zone.

Two ladies we met on the side of the road in southern Peru. We gave them a lift into town and bought TP, onions and gasoline from them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: