Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint Analysis (Picture)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Have been hearing an annoying gristle sound from the rear of my 1970 IRS Beetle when coasting (with or without brakes depressed). Crawled under to check the four CV joints and detected some play in the the driver side outside axle. Pulled the axle and removed the CV joint. The balls are pearly smooth but the outside races have distinct grooves - all six. the inside races too. Here is a picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do you think? Bad enough to replace? I can afford the $65 from jbugs but am trying to keep the China to German part ratio to a minimum. Any advice here would be welcome.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Cannot tell from pics how deep are grooves? If really deep and you are bucks down look for good used buy the new boots and rebuild. Lately I get the impression people are afraid to tackle this job. If money is not a concern buy the Lobro German replacements. On the extreme you could upgrade to the larger type 2 CVs. There are still piles of good used cv joints gathering dust
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Waayy-sted + Shocked
Avoid the asian krap.
Tom K. wrote:
...... hearing an annoying gristle sound ..... detected some play in the the driver side outside axle. ....... the outside races have distinct grooves - all six. the inside races too.
What do you think? Bad enough to replace? I can afford the $65 from jbugs but am trying to keep the China to German part ratio to a minimum. Any advice here would be welcome.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

I would say 1 millimeter deep - 2 at most. This is my first CV joint inspection. I simply lack the frame of reference to know how bad is bad. Might depend on how willing I am to tolerate the gristly sound until the day it evolves into a popping sound.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

It looks shot to me.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

They're toast.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

I'm into the same job. Bought all nos cv joints. I would go ahead and replace them since you already have them out. There seems to be plenty of quality joints around.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

They are defective....Orielly's has lifetime replacements the complete shafts. I have them on my car for oh um eight thousand miles. No problems.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Good rule of thumb is if you can feel it it's shot. I would shop around for some Lobro CV's
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

the empis offroad cv's are some of the best made....I havent a clue as to the std stuff.but I would relay worry about it but i would make sure everything is right. for some reason those dont look like something was right... but if thats all assembles right and thay dont travel any more than that you could flip it and have a new serface to wear out... Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes witch if I had to have it going and didnt have time to wait I would do.(if thats flip able I dont recall but I think it is)....brain fade....too many cv's rolling around in my head. and I aint no cv exspurt....
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

On CVs if you can even see grooves they're finished.

Ya mark, I've flipped CVs before to get a few more miles out of 'em but it's only a bandaid. Works the best on vans where the axle angles are a little greater.

brad
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Are you getting a klunk klunk klunking noise or a growling noise especially on curves or corners .
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

GKN Loebro 113598101 - CV Joint Kit AutoHausAZ. Get 4 of them.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
GKN Loebro 113598101 - CV Joint Kit AutoHausAZ. Get 4 of them.

I wonder if a "Loebro" is the same as a Lobro or is that how you say hello to your bro Razz

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Chinese spell check?
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

gkn lobro 45.79 each at rock auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/cart/

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

CV Joint +Boots = $56.32 from Rock Auto. I got my bus CV Joint kits from AutoHausAZ and they were LoBro.

TX2IAgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

The boot for the inner passenger side has a huge tear in it. I will need to replace it. Can it be replaced without having to take the shaft or trans out? What would you recommend for a 71 standard beetle?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

TX2IAgirl wrote:
The boot for the inner passenger side has a huge tear in it. I will need to replace it. Can it be replaced without having to take the shaft or trans out? What would you recommend for a 71 standard beetle?

While I do believe there are split boots available for type 1 CV joints, they usually don't hold up well at all so I would recommend sticking with the original one piece style boots. As such, you will need to disconnect the axle shaft at the inner end at a minimum so you can pull the CV joint off and replace the boot; if you haven't cleaned and repacked the CV joints in quite some time, this would be the perfect opportunity to do so. Removing the trans is not required.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Analysis (Picture) Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you’ll need to remove the CV joint. It’s not that difficult a job, if you have the proper tool to loosen the bolts.

Be sure to clean out the bolt heads squeaky clean before attempting to remove them.

You have to remove them because you have a tear and you need to check for damage to the joint. Also, it’s a lot easier removing the joint when the shaft is placed in a vice.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: