Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jumping in 3rd gear
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping in 3rd gear Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
I myself have a 009 distributor with a h30/31 carburetor on my '71 Super.

I myself have a vintage GERMAN 009 distributor with an H30/31 carburetor on my 1600cc DP engine, it works fine for me. I haven't changed the jets from what it arrived with. I used this carb about a decade then the engine sat unused a decade until I rebuilt it last year, so I rebuilt the carb then.

My h30/31 is at least 20yrs old. The car last registered in '98 by the previous owner. Not sure if that's vintage or old Laughing
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping in 3rd gear Reply with quote

Try really jumping on the gas in 3rd and the try easing into it slowly. Is there a difference or does it behave the same. I've had clutches that acted up in 3rd gear and gave the same sort of shaking under and lower rpm.

I've used 009s in EVERY stock vw engine from 36hp up plus my race engines and everything in between. I've done blind driving tests with friends to see if they can tell there's a 009 on the engine or not. None could tell. But that's just my experience. Not saying it works for everyone just relaying my experience

brad
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumping in 3rd gear Reply with quote

I tried to get my bug started today and it won't catch idle...it cranks and makes black smoke...too dark and cold right now to check the valves...but I'm thinking that could be the problem
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping in 3rd gear Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
I tried to get my bug started today and it won't catch idle...it cranks and makes black smoke...too dark and cold right now to check the valves...but I'm thinking that could be the problem

Have you checked your tire pressure lately?
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping in 3rd gear Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Have you checked your tire pressure lately?

Regarding the jumping issue...no I haven't, i will have to do so
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping in 3rd gear Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Try really jumping on the gas in 3rd and the try easing into it slowly. Is there a difference or does it behave the same. I've had clutches that acted up in 3rd gear and gave the same sort of shaking under and lower rpm.

I've used 009s in EVERY stock vw engine from 36hp up plus my race engines and everything in between. I've done blind driving tests with friends to see if they can tell there's a 009 on the engine or not. None could tell. But that's just my experience. Not saying it works for everyone just relaying my experience

brad

If you say anything remotely positive about a 009 you’ll be crucified, but in a strange twist of thinking a 019 or 010 which are very similar and are also mechanical advance get top billing and are highly recommended. OK?

Just a heads up and if the air pressures check out I’d be sure to check blinker fluid and or muffler bearings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: