Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

way to turbo for dirt cheap?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587977
Almost free!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

After reading through Clonebug's thread again, I don't think you want to go that route unless you really understand ignition/boost and have some good fab skills. Hats off to you Clonebug! You made a really impressive combo from mainly secondhand parts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Dauz wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
Clonebug probably has figured out the cheapest way to go turbo. Take his advice.

awww.. I lost a bet. I figured he'd be the first to reply. lol

I would have have lost that bet as well, close second would have been that dale dude, answers to anything even if he has no clue.

This one is all your's Dauz........Maybe you can give him the number of your tuner...... Wink

If you can't help by explaining a locked distributor then pass him off to Scott. Rolling Eyes

No, Sir. I'm not broke. And I wouldn't brag about building something so cheap if it's the only thing I have to talk about. I'm VERY fortunate. But you won't get me to brag.. or whine. LOL. And I'm not the one with the female emotions dwelling on the past. Bitter about being on the receiving end of my drunken stupor. Yes, I remember that thread. Where I was laughing so hard cognac came out of my nose! lol. I also remember apologizing for having way too much fun that day. Build a bridge and get over it, old man! Happy Holidays!

But yeah, it's my neighbors Scott, Kris, and Jason Lauffer I work with when it comes to my VW projects. Also Dan Lawson and Bill Shearer. Go ahead and give them a call.. but it won't be dirt cheap. lol

Last edited by Dauz on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

what the hell is happening right now??
My bug build "Beelzebug" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7842613&highlight=#7842613
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

kai.scott98 wrote:
what the hell is happening right now??

Nothing to be concerned about. Carry on.. Smile
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

on MY thread, i dont think so sir. take your quarrels elsewhere
My bug build "Beelzebug" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7842613&highlight=#7842613
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Not much a quarrel. Have you seen that movie "grumpy old men?" It's how we talk Wink

BTW, if you really want to turbo a 1600 cheap, I'd suggest searching for an old Rajay kit which was MADE for stock 1600s. I think there are two currently in the classifieds.
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

yeah im just kidding, its cool. will take a look at them, see how much they are
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Breaks up the monotony while I'm waiting on welds to cool, funny stuff, the answers will eventually come Kai.scott, patience young grasshopper, lol
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
clonebug wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Dauz wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
Clonebug probably has figured out the cheapest way to go turbo. Take his advice.

awww.. I lost a bet. I figured he'd be the first to reply. lol

I would have have lost that bet as well, close second would have been that dale dude, answers to anything even if he has no clue.

This one is all your's Dauz........Maybe you can give him the number of your tuner...... Wink

If you can't help by explaining a locked distributor then pass him off to Scott. Rolling Eyes

No, Sir. I'm not broke. And I wouldn't brag about building something so cheap if it's the only thing I have to talk about. I'm VERY fortunate. But you won't get me to brag.. or whine. LOL. And I'm not the one with the female emotions dwelling on the past. Bitter about being on the receiving end of my drunken stupor. Yes, I remember that thread. Where I was laughing so hard cognac came out of my nose! lol. I also remember apologizing for having way too much fun that day. Build a bridge and get over it, old man! Happy Holidays!

But yeah, it's my neighbors Scott, Kris, and Jason Lauffer I work with when it comes to my VW projects. Also Dan Lawson and Bill Shearer. Go ahead and give them a call.. but it won't be dirt cheap. lol

A locked distributor is nothing to brag about..... Rolling Eyes Laughing
But it is cheap!!! Allows you to pay for your tuner......

Those are some big names though........I prefer to build my own stuff...I guess you get to buy yours...and your friends. Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

I'm still trying to get my mind around the "locked" distributor idea. Ya I guess it works - the engine runs. Now that I think of it, Briggs and Stratton has used fixed spark advance for years. So have aircraft engines that operate at 2500 rpm for take off and back down to 2100 for cruise.

Even old Henry Ford saw the need to vary timing and gave the "T" an advance lever... Wink

Just thinking out loud here... no intention to offend any one.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

If you want a super cheap turbo setup, why not blow through a stock solex carb? It's been done several times and there's a good bit of tuning info on the interwebs.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

yeah thats what i had been asking about, if i could use my stock carb, or if it would need modifying for blow through turbo, i read somewhere about having to modify them for superchargers so i thought it might be the same for turbos.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

A locked distributor is nothing to brag about..... Rolling Eyes Laughing
But it is cheap!!! Allows you to pay for your tuner......

I've never ran a "locked" distributor. I've had a couple that came on motors that were meant to be collateral for 2nd amendment stuff.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

kai.scott98 wrote:
yeah thats what i had been asking about, if i could use my stock carb, or if it would need modifying for blow through turbo, i read somewhere about having to modify them for superchargers so i thought it might be the same for turbos.

Set it up suck through and no mods to the carb or fuel pump are needed especially for mild boost pressures. All that needs tweaking then is the advance curve.

It does involve more fabrication though.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Blow through certainly eliminates carb icing. Wink

Max
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:

Max

But wait! I thought we were brainstorming methods to lower draw-through IATs!? Rolling Eyes
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

But wait! I thought we were brainstorming methods to lower draw-through IATs!? Rolling Eyes

Oh I'm just stirring the pot.

Carry on . Wink

Max
kai.scott98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

id prefer blow through, also my carbs currently icing up due to lack of heat risers, so if i do it only to fix that problem, it'l help.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: way to turbo for dirt cheap? Reply with quote

I am in the process of reading clonebug's build thread on his blow through set up. I'm on page 18 and he is getting close to making that blow through carb work well but now he has a major engine case failure. He has blazed the trail for you blow through fans for sure. The man has the patience of Job!

I bought a used Weber 40 DCOE that came with a box of spare jets and vents for my suck through set up. I have no idea what it was set up on previously but I bolted it on and all I changed was to increase the accelerator pump stroke. No doubt it could have used a bit more tweaking but back then no one had wide bands and we just checked plug color. I never did use any of the spare jets. I was a bit on the rich side but being young and single fuel mileage was not a concern, I just wanted power and I had that!

Well, back to clonebug's build thread - very interested to learn about his injection.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: