Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comment/opinion on these brake components
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

I need to replace the front brake calipers on my '77 bus. I'm thinking of these, "impossible to find" TRW new calipers.

http://www.busdepot.com/211615108

Before I go ahead and order them, can anyone say this is my best choice? Cheers!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

I usually rebuild my calipers but here in California we have a dry climate compared to a lot of places where they get snow and use salt.
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

I did consider rebuilding the calipers but where I live the cost (of rebuild kits, postage, etc) would've been half of buying new calipers. Plus I don't have easy access to an air compressor to get the pistons out.

However, if someone were to say the TRW calipers I'm considering (see link) were "crap" (or greatly inferior to a rebuilt pair of original calipers) I might start to reconsider my options. Confused
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Hmm. I would say rebuild yours. Even if it's half the cost, or actually the same cost... they're the original parts.. I'm sure many could agree that they'll last longer? Wink

Not too related to what you're asking, but here's a teardown of both a VW and TRW steering box. Shows the differences... you make the decision on quality Wink
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Many times I’ve read posts from guys who bought new calipers and had trouble installing them. Mostly because of differences in the bolts. If I were you I’d try and buy the rebuild kit for about $40 and either do it myself or have a brake shop do them. Like was said, the cost might be similar but you’d have your correct parts.

Edit: good rule to live by is never turn in your core parts until you have the new parts installed.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

I know shipping might be tough, but does Rock Auto (rockauto.com) ship to you? They have excellent brands of brake parts for not very much money. Rebuild kits are pennies on the dollar there compared to local auto parts shops here in the Con-US.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I'm now starting to think again about rebuilding. Smile

I looked at Rockauto and found several rebuild kits, one of which (Centric) - with shipping - is quite cheap!

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2045998

Although the info doesn't state exactly what's in the kit, the photo appears to include the two small internal seals. I've not seen that before.

Is Centric a quality product? I'm thinking if I were to go with these guys I'd get two front hoses as well, also by Centric.

Edit: Forgot I'd need pads. Any recommendations for these? Rockauto has pads ranging in price from $10-$32, metallic and organic, brands include: Centric, Bosch, Wagner, Raybestos.

Last edited by tomfreo on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Yes Centric typically makes great components, and is the OE supplier to a few big brands. The two internal seals are mandatory if you split open the caliper to clean and inspect, which is part of doing a thorough job; they seal the halves together for assembly.

I love Rock Auto for small little non-ACVW specific stuff. Rubber kits like those are used on all kinds of cars, and some VW specialty shops have kits on their shelves that are past the useful lifespan of the rubber. I won’t mess around when it comes to brakes.

Search the Type 4 forum on here for a pictorial by raygreenwood on rebuilding calipers. It’s excellent and very similar to bus calipers. (Sorry I can’t search and paste links from my phone.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie. I read raygreenwood's post on caliper rebuilds. Very comprehensive! Seems you got in a reply before I'd finished re-editing my last post.
Any thoughts on brake pads?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
...words and stuff...

I have seen a couple other places showing the caliper bridge seals in their rebuild kit photos, too, starting about a year ago. I don't know what changed to make them more readily available as a kitted part, but Bus Depot has sold them separately for a while.
http://www.busdepot.com/j13819
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have rebuilt a pair of calipers and also used a remanufactured caliper.. the rebuild is very easy, well after you get the pistons out that is. I didn't care for reman caliper's dust seals. They were held in place with a spring wire clip because the seal itself was not a tight fit around the mounting area... the seal had a tendency to work loose and pop off even with the spring clip installed.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

If i were to rebuild I'd likely split the caliper. I'm thinking I might go round to the old guy with the auto shop and ask him to help me pop the pistons out with his air compressor (we were having a chat about this the other day - at least, he was telling me he used to rebuild calipers a lot, and mentioned popping out calipers with compressed air).

Can anyone say, is it easier to pop the pistons out with air before or after the calipers are split?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
Can anyone say, is it easier to pop the pistons out with air before or after the calipers are split?

You don't need air. A grease gun will thread into the caliper and puts out a lot more than 120 PSI. Just clean the gun out and fill it with water first, then you won't have to clean grease out of the caliper passages afterwards!

Do that with the caliper halves together.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

scrivyscriv said:

Quote:
You don't need air. A grease gun will thread into the caliper and puts out a lot more than 120 PSI. Just clean the gun out and fill it with water first, then you won't have to clean grease out of the caliper passages afterwards!

Fantastic! Thanks scrivyscriv Very Happy I just popped the nozzle off my grease gun and sure enough it fits the caliper. Now would it be easier to clean the grease gun of grease (thinking I'd have to do it in solvent) or the caliper of grease??
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

What do you use to put air into your tires? You must have access to compressed air somewhere. How about one of your friends or neighbors? Is there a machine shop nearby who could disassemble it and glass bead the rust and crap off for you?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

One of those pucks usually comes out - leaving the other in- so just re-seat that one just inside the caliper, and put a "C" clamp on it till the other pops out-

I had a datson clutch master cylinder that would screw on the caliper and pump thos out of the caliper using brake fluid.- easy clean up and controll of the pellet extraction.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Keep fingers out of way. I put a block of wood or a wadded up rag between the pistons and apply air. Pop. One will come out. pull the rubber seal out and push it back in. Hold it with a board and keep your fingers out of the way, apply air and pop the other comes out. Remove the first one by hand which will be easy with no seal. You are done getting the pistons out.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

Here's what I can tell you about the new calipers...
They are OEM calipers originally built for Volkswagen/Brazil. If you look closely you can see where the VW/Audi logo is filed off. They're the last of the new OEM Bus calipers. TRW won't sell them in the U.S. so we have to import them ourselves. We've sold them for a few years and never had a single defect, so clearly the quality is good. By comparison rebuilds can vary, some are good and some not so good, often from the same supplier. The big problem with these ones is availability. They go on backorder for long periods of time. Generally speaking, when that happens it's usually because the supplier isn't selling enough to care much about losing sales, which is not a good sign. Often it's a precursor to the item being discontinued without notice - one day they go on backorder and just never come back. Will that happen in a month? A year? Two? I have absolutely no way of knowing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

A note about caliper rebuild kits and age. The caliper works differently than a master cylinder so assembled calipers on the shelf can still function just fine as long as they do not rust..even after 10 years or so.

Caliper kits...meaning loose parts not installed....can last even longer and still be fine. This does not mean that the rubber parts do not harden somewhat with age...but unlike a master cylinder cup seal...they do do not take a shape "set".

There will be a slight trade off in total life span from using a caliper kit that is say a 15-20 year old NOS...like maybe a couple of years less lifespan.....but only in about 4-5 out of 100 calipers do you see slight dragging from less retraction from hardened seals. If the caliper kits are cheap....its worth the risk as they will not fail from being old.

As far as the "Bridge" seals....I believe they are becoming available more readily as people ...companies...are finding out just how simple these are to make NOW...as compared to say 15-20 years ago.

The vast majority of these bridge seals are not molded....they are either cut on a Microtome or machined CNC.

Back then...there was one main chain of CNC rubber shops in the US that dealt in retail work....and they had the limitations of the era.

Now...I can throw a rock in some areas and hit 6 of them.

Three years ago I had 100 seals made to fit type 3, type 4/914 ATE calipers.

They ran me about $115 total with shipping. They were CNC lathe cut from precision EPDM tube. You can see the machine marks on the faces and rim.

They do this by first installing the tubing...usually with correct ID and oversized OD...on a mandrel of the correct size. Snug fit without stretching. They then chill it to bring the hardness upwards to 80 durometer and then first machine the OD and then separate the seals with a parting tool in one operation.

These seals need to be the most exact...measurement wise....first in thickness. Then in OD....and the ID can actually range upwards to 1/16" as long as its not smaller than and will not encroach on the fluid port.

So as long as you have that small amount of flexibility in ID....its not hard for a CNC rubber company to find tube stock or rubber plug stock that is relatively standard to allow making what would be called a "semi-custom" seal.

The other method...cutting with a microtome...is just as accurate...but since you will not be machining anything to size...you must be able to find tube stock you can use that is the right size in OD and the right range of size in ID.

I am making some bridge seals for someone for Girling calipers by the end of the month with a microtome I have made. I may have extras available. Ray
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

What a f**ker of a job! Got one piston out. Removed seal as advised. Cleaned and popped back in. Now it doesn't hold air (maybe unsurprising really) and the other piston's not moving. Evil or Very Mad What now?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment/opinion on these brake components Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
What a f**ker of a job! Got one piston out. Removed seal as advised. Cleaned and popped back in. Now it doesn't hold air (maybe unsurprising really) and the other piston's not moving. Evil or Very Mad What now?

SO- put the old seal back on, fit the piston to the bore- deep enough to find clean metal, then- as mentioned, pump grease/ compressed air/ brake fluid--your choice- till that one left behind and joins the team.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: