Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine build by ladies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Bracket amended.
Thermostat tested
Installed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
All new rotating parts must be balanced if you want a reliable engine. Heck my last NEW set of Mahle pistons were 20 grams apart!

The Moresa pistons I used in my 1600cc rebuild last year were MUCH closer than that, actual value is somewhere in my thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+1970

I weighed the pistons together with the wrist pins they shipped with, they were so close that I didn't have to mess with adjusting the wrist pins from one piston to another. I seem to remember that they were all +/- 0.10 gram from the mean; I used an electronic balance discarded from my workplace as some were deemed too expensive to re-qualify.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well it's a stock rebuild with a stock crankshaft which you can't do much with as far as balancing the crankshaft.

I took my crank, flywheel, pressure plate, pulley, and rods to get balanced locally when I built my current bus engine, and the shop owner told me the crank was the most out of balance part in the whole schlab.. he did balance it all out and said he had to take a good bit off the crank, which was a stock 69mm std/std.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Look, I and some of us are saying that balancing the rotating assembly is part of a sound rebuild and every reputable shop will tell you this. We don't say this to be mean or cause disruption or to be disparaging in any way. Some of us say this because we've seen the results of misguided advise. I've been in this business for over 50 years. I have nothing to win or loose in this. It's just free sound advise. Joannekay, did you even look at the you tube link I provided??
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

A counterweighted crank will reduce the wear and tear on the case more than just balancing the standard crank not that balancing is not a real nice thing to do for your engine. I always do. With the cost of a new case being so high I figure counterweight crankshaft, full engine balance and full flow filtered oiling is the best way to protect the case's value. But they originally ran well and for a long time.
That engine looks like it was a 1300cc to start with?

Nice! Don't forget the 8mm nuts there:

This would be sweet:

Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Helfen thanks but as I said NO MACHINE shop local or close..
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thank u on nuts
Engine was a 1500...

Petrol filter bracket installed.
Safety first..
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Joannekay wrote:

Safety first..

THAT is a VERY cool bracket!! Where did you get it, or did you make it?

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Joannekay wrote:

Safety first..

THAT is a VERY cool bracket!! Where did you get it, or did you make it?

here on samba:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062082
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

A friend from calafornia...not available in Australia
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Joannekay wrote:
A friend from calafornia...not available in Australia

Sold here on samba:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062082
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Heater exchange just about done..after market....had 2 use tomatoe paste can 4 large gap
Carby installed.

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Necessity is the mother of invention! Good job

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Don't forget to slide the accelerator cable through. It can be difficult once everything's in. Also looks like you went with a 30 pict 1 instead of the h30/31? Agree , nice work !

Last edited by thomas. on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

That looks clean enough to eat off of it! Cool
Does that fuel pump sit okay with the alternator without interference?
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Looks like there’s enough room 4 petrol pump & alternator..thank u..
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Petrol pump close to generator on old engine..
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thank u..will try accelerator cable 2day..
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

I think this is what an "Engine build sponsored by Mid America Motorworks" would look like!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 29

Jump to: