Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

I got my hands on a Gene Berg pulley. The pulley is a stock sized "Achiever".

I confirmed the size on Berg's web site and talked to their office on the subject.
The fellow I spoke to at Berg's office said not to sweat it.........

It measures 6 3/4" and I believe a stock VW pulley is 7". What, if any, impact does the loss of 1/4" have on cooling?

The Berg "power pulley" size is 5 7/8 +/-

What is it I don't know about the missing 1/4"?

Thanks,

dgsaz
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

The one I used to have was 7" in diameter. CB, and JayCee, and Empi (knockoff Berg), had 7" pulleys as well.

Most of the other aftermarket ones are 6 3/4".
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

The 1/4" difference will make your cooling fan spin about 233 rpm slower which is not a big deal. Assuming a 3.750" generator/alternator pulley

The power pulley size if used on a loaded up Bus and driven at high speeds for extended periods will fry the motor pretty quickly. I came by my Bus as it was on it's fourth engine due to a number of "improvements" the PO had made which included a power pulley.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

The 1/4" is in the way it is machined. The groove in the pulley could be wider or narrower causing a change in how deep the belt rides in the groove. Berg does not make junk so it's as accurate as it needs to be. You can also change the fan speed by using a wider or narrower belt.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
The 1/4" difference will make your cooling fan spin about 233 rpm slower which is not a big deal. Assuming a 3.750" generator/alternator pulley

The power pulley size if used on a loaded up Bus and driven at high speeds for extended periods will fry the motor pretty quickly. I came by my Bus as it was on it's fourth engine due to a number of "improvements" the PO had made which included a power pulley.

And if one were to use a Porsche 356 alternator pulley up top.........?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

Your belt makes a big difference as well and how you shim your top pulley.

For instance if you use a wider belt it will ride on the outer area of the lower pulley (turning the fan faster). Likewise the upper pulley if you shim it out and the belt rides lower the fan turns faster.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

No idea what size the 356 top pulley is. There are lots of pulley calculators on line. If it's a smaller pulley it'll spin the fan faster.

X2 on what vwracerdave posted.

What's the application?

A 233 rpm change at 6500 rpm fan speed/3500 rpm engine speed isn't going to blow up the motor in a bug. With the power pulley the cooling fan slows down about 20% which will effect high speed cooling a lot. As in a seized #3 exhaust valve and hole in #3 piston if going up hills at 75mph with 2000# in a Bus.

Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The one I used to have was 7" in diameter. CB, and JayCee, and Empi (knockoff Berg), had 7" pulleys as well.

Most of the other aftermarket ones are 6 3/4".

I remember checking, and the CB (circa 2015) is just a little smaller diameter than the Berg (circa 1997). No hard numbers though, sorry.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
No idea what size the 356 top pulley is. There are lots of pulley calculators on line. If it's a smaller pulley it'll spin the fan faster.

X2 on what vwracerdave posted.

What's the application?

A 233 rpm change at 6500 rpm fan speed/3500 rpm engine speed isn't going to blow up the motor in a bug. With the power pulley the cooling fan slows down about 20% which will effect high speed cooling a lot. As in a seized #3 exhaust valve and hole in #3 piston if going up hills at 75mph with 2000# in a Bus.

Application: 1966 Sundial Camper

stock crank and cam
L-3 Heads
IDF 40's
1 3/8" Qp Header.

4.12 R/P
.82 - 4th gear
27 1/4" tires.

Intended use, long distance cruising.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

Nice set up. I have the same trans and tires.

Do you have a cylinder head temp gauge on #3? Very enlightening after I installed one. Also might want to check the Air/Fuel ratio with a wide band sensor. Both A/F ratio and cylinder head temp monitoring can make a motor last a lot longer by avoiding overheating.

Retired
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

Use a 38amp generator with the proper pulley and a 900x9.5 belt. That with the berg pulley and you’re good.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Stock Gene Berg Pulley Size Reply with quote

The Berg Power Pulley is the exact same diameter as a stock Porsche lower pulley. So you can run a Power pulley, and if you run a Porsche gen pulley up top, you get your exact fan RPM back. I had to do it on my turbo motor. And then run a Porsche belt for a 356. 9.25 X 825mm. PN#999-192-006.50

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: