Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

generator problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Addman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: generator problems Reply with quote

I have a 71 super with a generator, and I've been troubleshooting a constantly on gen light.

First, I double checked the wiring was correct. it was.
Second, checked the belt to be within spec. with the right tension. it was.
then I tested the battery with a multimeter while the engine was running and nothing no recharge.
final I disconnected the D+ and DF grounded DF and metered D+ while the car was running and nothing no voltage. I also check the brushes they seem fine.

Would you all say that the generator's it bad? any suggestions shy of replacement or rebuild.
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Pull the brushes. Clean the screw connection on both of them. Then clean the holder so the brush moves easy. Then clean the comutator with an abrasive stick (I use the wifes nail board). Also clean all the connections on the voltage regulator, including the ground. If still no juice, replace the brushes or get a new generator.
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Pull the brushes. Clean the screw connection on both of them. Then clean the holder so the brush moves easy. Then clean the comutator with an abrasive stick (I use the wifes nail board). Also clean all the connections on the voltage regulator, including the ground. If still no juice, replace the brushes or get a new generator.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

There is always more to the story. Is this a new to you generator? Or did it work fine for you then all of the sudden it quit. Or was it working before the car sat for a long time? Was the engine revved way up without a battery or a bad battery that would not protect it form field burn out. Speaking of field burn out see if you do have a field!
You can see if it will run like a motor. Disconnect the belt and bypass D+ to B+ a good generator will motor doing this. Probably ground the field F for that test? But only try this test for 10 seconds as it overheats the field. It will polarize it too.

Another thing too is a good generator will cause small fluctuations in ohm and voltage readings if you spin it by hand with the belt off, engine stopped, key off, generator wiring removed from generator.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Addman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
There is always more to the story, Is this a new generator? Or did it work fine for you then all of the sudden it quit?
Or was it working before the car sat for a long time?...

yes, they're more, the SB a day Driver and the generator was working fine (as far as I could tell) I had a cracked Carb and a few vacuum leaks on the intake manifold so we replaced it with dual crab. we had to pull out the generator and other things to get the old parts off (I should have just cut the manifold and not bothered disassembling everything)
anyway, we resembled everything correctly I made sure to mark every parts bolts and wires location. we replaced the belt with a new one needed one. the car runs except for the generator has stopped working.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

What about the generator ground wire that bolts to the back top side of the generator housing-did you remember to reconnect that?

The brown wire here:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Well so yeah, it must be a problem like a broken wire to it. Got to check that the D+ Wire to the Reg is good. That the field wire to the Reg is good. Could be a stuck reg. The new bosch solid state regulators are the ticket!
Addman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
What about the generator ground wire that bolts to the back top side of the generator housing-did you remember to reconnect that?

The brown wire here:

I don't have that, their only 2 wires, their not even a screw post to mount a wire too.

I do like the rubber weather caps though. ill have to get some later.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Addman wrote:

I don't have that, their only 2 wires, their not even a screw post to mount a wire too.

In that case your generator grounds through the engine and chassis (and ultimately through the transmission ground strap), which it does by resting on the generator stand with the strap holding it in place. Everything good there??
Hard for me to believe the generator suddenly stopped working simply because you took it off and then put it back on. Pictures would probably help.

1600 SP engine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Addman wrote:
I don't have that...brown wire...... their only 2 wires, their not even a screw post to mount a wire too.

If so, I'd loosen the generator strap and add a ground wire between the strap and the shiny generator body, retighten that, and route that wire to a good ground spot.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Addman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Addman wrote:
sb001 wrote:

The brown wire here:

Update:
I checks again and I found a spot for a screw post just no screw and a old cut ground wire tape in the working loom. So it looks like someone cut the wire and lost the screw.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

Addman wrote:

Update:
I checks again and I found a spot for a screw post just no screw and a old cut ground wire tape in the working loom. So it looks like someone cut the wire and lost the screw.

Ah! I bet that will fix your problem, as soon as you reattach that ground wire to the generator body. (Sorry not sure what size or thread pattern screw that is... ) You might want to also double check to make sure the other end of that wire is attached to a mounting screw on the voltage regulator.

At any rate that wire isn't absolutely necessary, it's just added insurance to make sure your generator is grounded. As I stated earlier the generator will also ground through the stand it sits on secured by the generator strap, and through the engine/ chassis- it's just good to have that additional wire as another ground method.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

If you have a local generator shop you need to remove the generator and have them test it . With dual carbs it should be easy to remove .
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

The generator should ground pretty well just through its contact with the engine as long as your transaxle ground strap is in place.

Earlier cars didn't have a separate generator ground wire - that was added later on.

You could easily test that by either measuring resistance between D- and battery ground or run a jumper wire from D- to battery negative and see if that cures the problem.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

perhaps when unbolting the wires one of the studs spun...this would shear off the wire attached to its other end
Addman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: generator problems Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
perhaps when unbolting the wires one of the studs spun...this would shear off the wire attached to its other end

Sorry for late reply/update yes this what happened it seems to work now thanks everyone for the help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: