Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_r_u_t_o_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

Hi all,

1985. 1.9 GL Camper.

Put in a new catalytic, muffler, and tailpipe last night. I'm not sure I have the parts rotated/aligned properly. Perhaps it's just a problem of "exact fit" not being an exact fit.

Parts are a Walker quiet flow ss muffler, magnaflow catalytic w/the plug for sensor, and tailpipe from Gowesty.

1. I'm having a pretty tough time getting the muffler strap bolt back through enough to bite and tighten. Can I just go get a longer bolt?

2. Tailpipe is angle up just a tad and ever so slightly protruding out. Is this a problem? Tailpipe also didn't line up bolt holes with mufflers so well, in all configurations I tried.

3. For the catalytic, I'm guessing the cat should be lined up so the plug is facing up.

They are connected so that O2 plug is upstream, the inlet arrow faces towards the cat.

Just wondering if this pretty common with aftermarket parts from the local parts store. Thanks all. Cheers!
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

If you could post some pictures it would help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

b_r_u_t_o_n wrote:
Hi all,

1985. 1.9 GL Camper.

Parts are a Walker quiet flow ss muffler, magnaflow catalytic w/the plug for sensor, and tailpipe from Gowesty.

1. I'm having a pretty tough time getting the muffler strap bolt back through enough to bite and tighten. Can I just go get a longer bolt?

2. Tailpipe is angle up just a tad and ever so slightly protruding out. Is this a problem? Tailpipe also didn't line up bolt holes with mufflers so well, in all configurations I tried.

3. For the catalytic, I'm guessing the cat should be lined up so the plug is facing up.

It sounds like the muffler seam is interfering with the muffler brackets. Are you sure you have the muffler in correctly? i.e. inlet to cat? the muffler should have an arrow on it showing direction of flow. Unlike the 2.1 muffler, it appears the 1.9 inlet and outlet are the same distance away from the muffler body so.....

The Bentley image shows the tail pipe and inlet gaskets indexed at different positions.

It sounds like the cat O2 hole will be plugged but yes. That hole should be at around 1:00 looking from end of tail pipe. Look at Digifant exhaust pics in Bentley? I see the 1.9 has O2 further upstream at 2-1 manifold.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

As with many..... most? ..... things produced after market today, concern for quality has plummeted dramatically!
It seems as if it is all about price and profit.

Anyway, often times some "tweaking" is needed.

Multiple gaskets to account for bad flanges, filing flanges to flatten and correct the angles and the best tool to own???
An Ox/Acy torch to help convince those stubborn things to line up.

Take your time, examine and adjust.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

put it all together loose 1st don't cinch down anything till it's all in place..

then methodically clamp it all tight..

what goes 1st and what goes last is dependent of each individual mousetrap.. so you'll have to watch as you tighten.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

Cat. I had tried one of the Magnaflow CA zippy do Cats. The two end flanges were not even close to being parallel with each other. It made the muffler wow into the hangar. Returned it. Sourced a real CA Cat and all is well.

Muffler. Stock is ~5" diameter. Measure your aftermarket to compare. Otherwise it may not sit in the saddle correctly. Could be the reason you want to use a longer bolt.

Muffler. The tail pipe end has the threaded holes. Installing backwards may create fitment probs.

Just some past observations. YMMV
b_r_u_t_o_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

The muffler is slightly larger in diameter, just enough to where it doesn't want to seat well with the upper part of the strap. Went with a 50mm bolt and was able to get it to grab and bring the muffler up.

Yes, the muffler was mounted with the inlet at the cat and the threaded end for the tailpipe.

I'm still not exactly thrilled about how the tailpipe is landing. But now that it snowed and cooled off in Colorado; I'm going to come back to it when we get a few warm days. Although doesn't seem much for options to rotate it any other way.

Yep, O2 is upstream from the cat, but this is how they're built now? Being to work with all models. At least Van-Cafe describes it that way.

BTW, how far away from tail should I be feeling the pressure or wind coming from the tailpipe? Engine runs a little rough which I'm working my way through, but thought maybe since I can feel the exhaust a few feet away it may be an indicator of something?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lining up Cat>Muffler>Tailpipe Reply with quote

b_r_u_t_o_n wrote:

Yes, the muffler was mounted with the inlet at the cat and the threaded end for the tailpipe.

I'm still not exactly thrilled about how the tailpipe is landing..... Although doesn't seem much for options to rotate it any other way.

Yep, O2 is upstream from the cat, but this is how they're built now? Being to work with all models. At least Van-Cafe describes it that way.

Ha. Oops. My bad. Forgot that flange for tail pipe is threaded! Makes muffler install pretty obvious.

Ya I was just referring to the Bentley Digijet exhaust diagram. It shows the factory position of O2 sensor upstream of cat in the WBX 2-1 J pipe.

If you "exhaust" all options to correct the tailpipe position, maybe cut it, mark where you want it, take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded? I bet it would cost very little. And I think that WBX tail pipes wear out before the muffler so I doubt it'll ever need to be installed on a new muffler.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: