Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil bath leak?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

Oil bath pedestal is soaked with oil. Seems like oil is entering the oil bath and somehow leaving the oil bath, making a mess. (Blow by?) 😞

I have the top port in this photo connected to the oil filler neck port. However, where does the bottom port in this picture attach to? I believe the oil is coming out from the bottom port

70 Bay B motor 1600 sp

Oil bath is a 71

Thx
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

That bottom port connects to the outlet side of the charcoal canister.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

as I recall from my 1971 bottom goes to the breather, top goes to the carbon canister.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
as I recall from my 1971 bottom goes to the breather, top goes to the carbon canister.

It's kind of down to routing of hoses in my opinion. Both are before the filter element and essentially end up in the same part of the filter housing. But the bottom port is more directly positioned to the stream of intake air.

I also noticed the flapper assembly is dropping down from its mounting and need to be pushed back up into place. see below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Correct.

The bob weight on the arm allows the intake to put a slight vacuum on the crank case. Under higher airflow, like on the freeway, the weighted flap will allow more air from the snorkel to enter the intake while the design of the flap will still allow a tiny vacuum on the crankcase. This will help alleviate oil leaks while running, if you have any.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

This is fantastic information. Thank you.

Since my 70 has no charcoal canister, can I plug on of the holes?

... or, I should buy a charcoal canister... I have a 74 doghouse
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath leak? Reply with quote

Cap the unused port, your fuel tank likely doesn't have the provison for using a canister.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: