Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

Hey folks, quick question. On the 72 oil bath air cleaner, there are two vacuum ports on the top. The left one goes to the vacuum port under the carb, and the right one goes to the actuator on the air cleaner snorkel. Well my car has an aftermarket intake and there's no intake port under the carb. However, I believe there's a port on the right side intake end, although it may be too big (can't remember). I assume I can use this port since I don't have one directly under the carb, correct?

Also, is there a fill line inside this particular air cleaner for filling the oil?
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

You just need a "full" vacuum port, no matter which side its located in your situation
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
You just need a "full" vacuum port, no matter which side its located in your situation

Ok that’s what I thought. I’ve had several beetles but not one with this type of air cleaner. Any thoughts on how much oil to add?
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

13-14 ounces, I use 50w Valvoline so it doesn't slosh as bad, but 30w is ideal
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
13-14 ounces, I use 50w Valvoline so it doesn't slosh as bad, but 30w is ideal

Great. Thanks!
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

Herdfan75 wrote:
Also, is there a fill line inside this particular air cleaner for filling the oil?

There should be a rather crudely stamped arrow pointing to the fill level, as shown in this picture from the gallery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Personally I have to tilt my 72 air cleaner at just the right angle to make out the arrow.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have a marking on it. Fill it up to that little lip.

Use whatever junk oil you have sitting around. It's not important as it serves as a filter to catch the junk in the air. Junk oil for junk air.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

Hey there Herdfan. Would you be able to help a fellow out with a couple of pictures?

I picked up a 72 for my kid to build and I had no idea the bumps on top of the air cleaner were vacuum ports as someone has simply caulked over them. Rolling Eyes

There's other vacuum hose snafus too, like one running in a circle from one port to another on the carb. Sheesh.

I'm putting back the original vacuum advance distributor, and the original stove pipe and tubes, etc for the thermostat on the air cleaner and what not. I don't know what I am shooting for here, and would be grateful for some pictures of how all the plumbing is routed on a car that isn't all goofed up like mine.

Here is a picture of what I've got so if it's not the same air cleaner you don't have to waste your time. Thank for any help!

Here's a picture of the official Volkswagen of America Bentley Orange service manual showing how far to fill your air filter with oil and describing what oil to use. I highly recommend this book you can rebuild anything on the car with this book and it's inexpensive.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 oil bath air cleaner vacuum line Reply with quote

Hey Buggee - this is what the vacuum hose should run like for that same engine & air cleaner, if you've got the correct DVDA and 34-4 connected.

The green hose goes from the vacuum retard on the *front* of the DVDA can to the retard port on the back of the carb where your messed up vacuum port-to-vacuum port hose is connected. The side one should have the Sheppard's hook from the advance port on the v-can.

Btw - this picture was taken about 30k ago, engine's not nearly as clean now!! And that's a Mexican Bocar 34-3 carb w/the dashpot thingy sticking out of the back.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: