Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to sell a Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ent73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

I have a 73 thing that has been in our family since it was new. I cant believe it, but I am entertaining the thought of selling it. it is all original...engine has never been out. How would you recommend selling it?
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

Classified ad
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

Classified ad in thesamba,

Take lots of photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

Ebay will work as well, if you can get a bidding war going the price can go through the roof. Not having a reserve price will attract more bidder and more than likely bring you a better price.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

If the best original, unrestored '73 Thing is worth $13k- I'd expect the ad to have a link to 70 or so GOOD pictures. If your lead photo is in a garage; well shaded or is an "artsy fartsy" shot taken in the local graffiti alley- I won't take you seriously. If you have a model girlfriend sprawled out on the hood in the ad- you'll have that car for a long time.

It also needs to be substantiated as original. Just visit the classifieds under one car that interests you- and examine the range of ads. Trustability will pop out- as will BS. If the front right fender has a 3-1/2" long scratch through to the primer- say that. Don't say "It has a small scratch."

If you use a single word that contradicts a picture- you'll get called out. If you say "original seats" and you show a basketweave seat set- prepare yourself for bad news.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5

Last edited by hitest on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
If the best original, unrestored '73 Thing is worth $13k...

I have no idea where you pulled 13k out of. The best original US delivered Thing known right now is Lee Caplan's 74 that was appraised I believe for 50K.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The reality is we have no idea what the "Ent73" car looks like. It could be better than Lee's car for all we know. Here is a picture that Ent73 has in the gallery. Not bad.

As far as selling your car Ent73, if it is in good shape, you might want to consider consigning it with Randy at Oldbug.com. He does a great job promoting and listing the cars on his site and can give you a realistic idea on your vehicle's value:
http://www.oldbug.com/sales.htm
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

People are crazy for Things over at www.bringatrailer.com. I have no affiliation, by the way, and there is a sweet green '74 that was listed just today.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-thing-10/
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

I don't get it...why can't people just put a price out there? If YOU say "hey, I wanna sell my car" we say ok, how much? If WE want to buy YOUR car we say "hey, wanna sell YOUR car?", then YOU say yes (or no), how much will YOU give me for it?

This is pretty basic buyers / sellers etiquette. We all know how it works, and it's painfully obvious when someone is trying to work around it.

Step one: Decide if you really want sell your item
Step two: Determine a price
Step three: Offer the item for sale, with a price and state your terms of sale.
Step four: Have a means of accepting offers

Economics theory: Supply and demand, right? Kinda...These aren't commodities. Ultimately the seller determines the value. How many times have we seen a guy at a swap meet, or show, that hangs on to some rare item, with a crazy high price. It's his crown jewell. Once it's gone, it's gone. Then he's not the guy with the super rare whatever it is. "no one will give me what it's worth". So he is, by holding onto the item, setting the value for that one item.

So here's how you do it. Here's one of my VW's. I don't really want to sell it, but hey, everything has it's price. So I got this from the estate of the original owner. Not restored. Every scrape of paper including the cancelled check that payed for it. Original chrome with the original 1966 DOD bumper sticker. You can even see my plate number (OMG!). $28,900. No trades, cash at time of pick up.

Was that so hard?

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

"Basic buyers-sellers etiquette" is like "the greater good." It sounds nice because everyone has a sense of what it means. The trouble starts when one goes beyond the expression itself and everyone's definition gets compared. All of a sudden there are multiple interpretations of etiquette just as there are multiple interpretations of what constitutes the greater good.

It could also be argued these are commodities. True, they are not raw resources like copper or coffee, but they are a useful or valuable thing, such as water or time. There are never going to be more '66 Bugs or '73 Things. Only fewer.

The original post person was asking a legitimate question where not all approaches to buying and selling apply. Case in point: I have advertised four vehicles on TheSamba. Two never got any responses. One received a handful of offers but it was eventually sold on eBay. One got over 30 offers, half of which were a bidding war that continued even after I accepted an offer.

And although apparently not the case for the original post person, not all people know where to set their price. And some people have differing time frames with which to sell. Some folks want to sell quickly, and some couldn't care less how long it takes. There is one doodle here who has been selling an '83 Mexican Bug for years, and his ridiculous-to-me price has only increased.

At any rate, Bring a Trailer looks to be a valuable option. That green Thing looks nice and is fetching a nice price. And I wouldn't say it's poor etiquette on anyone's part.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

All I can say is Buyer Beware. IMHO that green Thing is nowhere near the car the seller implies it is. I won't be surprised if the deal goes south. I looked at it a couple of times and the pictures just don't add up. When you look at the pan and all the wrong parts that were used to replace the original ones, it makes you wonder what were they thinking. Even one of the keys is fake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ent73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a Thing Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I really have no idea what the car is worth, but the suggestion of LOTS of pictures is a good one. Any car would look good in the shade...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: