Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN plate stamped incorrectly
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

I have seen hundreds of bus VIN numbers, and they almost always match. This bus has all of its factory VINs which have never been messed with. It is not quite a "numbers matching" bus. The dash VIN plate has quite obviously been stamped in error.

Has anyone else seen this kind of thing? It is on an 11/72 bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

Either very collectible or very suspicious.

The dash VIN plate could have been

I don't think there is a checksum until the long form VINS came - maybe write to VW and give both numbers and documents on this?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

there is a post on here somewhere with the same thing (unless you bought that same bus!). I bet the year number (3rd) had some confusion on occasion when making next years model during the current year. they were making a 73 in the 72 calander year.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

It is not my bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

Yes, indeed.

I had mismatched VIN plates on the bus I named Number 9, since it was #9 off the assembly line in the 1973 model year:
http://vw.tauxe.net/number9

The VIN was 2332000009, but the plate on the dash said 2232000009.

Since it is a Westy, the 2332... must be the correct one.

This fine specimen was sold to a couple in Toronto who had recently lost their just-restored Westy of similar vintage in a house fire. Ironically, the bus was in the garage and got burnt up.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

there goes my theory..
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

What does the plate inside the bus read, not sure if a 73 had it behind the drivers seat or under the dash attached to the metal fresh air duct.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
there goes my theory..

A good theory Subtends facts, just turn the volume up
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
What does the plate inside the bus read, not sure if a 73 had it behind the drivers seat or under the dash attached to the metal fresh air duct.

the top pic is the door sticker
middle pic is tin?
last pic is dash vin

I wonder what the motor number is
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

Middle pic is the VIN stamp in the engine compartment, what one would refer to as the chassis stamp, the true VIN. The windshield VIN is a courtesy tag , the door is the Fed sticker.

There is another, it is an aluminum plate located inside the cab of the bus, more to do with build information, if the 73 has that tag riveted to the fresh air duct it is a bit hard to read, a mirror is good for those that can translate backwards or I do a pencil rubbing.

Hopefully the title matches the stamp number in the engine compartment
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Middle pic is the VIN stamp in the engine compartment, what one would refer to as the chassis stamp, the true VIN. The windshield VIN is a courtesy tag , the door is the Fed sticker.

There is another, it is an aluminum plate located inside the cab of the bus, more to do with build information, if the 73 has that tag riveted to the fresh air duct it is a bit hard to read, a mirror is good for those that can translate backwards or I do a pencil rubbing.

are there not two stamps in the engine compartment? another one on the motor?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

Motor has a serial number but it is not the VIN, it does allow you to determine which year the case was manufactured.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

In NY you would get into trouble if the VIN on the reg sticker didn’t match the dash plate
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

Bet even more trouble if the chassis vin did not match the dash plate, early vehicles did not have that dash plate, it is nothing more than a convenience for dealers, law enforcement, tag agency's, of which I have had several VW's at tag agency's that required me taking the rear seat out or in the case of a bus poke their head into the engine compartment to verify the VIN.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

The bus has custom seats so it is not easy to get to the plate behind the driver's seat. I might look back there with a mirror or a boroscope. The bus is titled and registered to the correct VIN number.

It is a customer car at my shop. I don't know if the customer is aware of this issue, but we will tell them when they pick up their bus.

I was walking by the bus and looked at the dash VIN tag, and saw the 2 digit in the year spot and knew there was a problem, because that ain't no '72 bus with the late bumpers and high turn signals.

I had the state auto investigator in doing some VIN inspections a few years back, and there was one bus that had the dash replaced at some point along with the nose. It was titled to the correct VIN number. The investigator pried the dash VIN tag off and took it with him. He would not have even noticed if I did not point it out to him. They always look at the stamping in the body metal.

I have also had a bus which was titled to the wrong VIN number from new. It was a '78, and the title showed the VIN starting with 118..... Everything else matched. It had always been in-state, so it never got a VIN inspection after it was sold new. I took it to the DMV, showed them the problem, they fixed it and sent me a title the next day.
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN plate stamped incorrectly Reply with quote

Not relevant to this thread but about 40 years back I had a '61 Ghia vert that was titled to the engine serial no.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: