Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best electric heat for a week below freezing?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Hi all, any good suggestions/tips for spending a week in the van below freezing? I'm headed to John C Campbell Folk Arts School in the mountains of NC for a week, and I'll be staying in their campground in the Westy. They do have electric and water hookups, but it's January in the mountains - looking for thoughts on good heaters/tips for staying warm.

Thanks!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Insulate your windows!
Get some Reflectix and cut it to fit your windows. I would even think about two layers of it.
However, you also need to think about the humidity and condensation.
Suggest you watch a few You Tube videos about controlling humidity inside rv's.
A heater that shuts off if tipped over is my first choice in electric heaters.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Sounds like a great winter getaway!

Any decent electric heater will keep you warm while lounging around in the van. We'e found an electric blanket to be even more effective when sleeping, as it applies the heat only where needed.

Here are some more winter camping tips:
http://campwestfalia.com/winter-van-camping/

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Insulate your windows!
Get some Reflectix and cut it to fit your windows. I would even think about two layers of it.

I actually cut some Relectix for the inside of the poptop a few years ago - that along with a wasserstopper on the outside helps a good deal. Didn't think about the windows - was thinking they probably have higher r-values than the sheetmetal? What do you use to secure the reflectix to the windows?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

some like suction cups, others have used magnets (cut the panels a little big so they allow the magnets access to the metal). You could probably even use industrial strength Velcro™®© hook and loop material if you didn't mind seeing it all the time. The round disks, not long strips, maybe…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

GreenG wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Insulate your windows!

I actually cut some Relectix for the inside of the poptop a few years ago - that along with a wasserstopper on the outside helps a good deal. Didn't think about the windows - was thinking they probably have higher r-values than the sheetmetal? What do you use to secure the reflectix to the windows?

I am using the metal snaps that the curtains and screen uses. In the long run I think they will rip out.
I'm putting magnets inside them and sealing with aluminum tape.
We have a cold spell down in Florida right now...down to a devastating 45° one night 😂.
I could feel the cold coming off the rear glass when I pull the Reflectix down.

Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

This is a great little electric heater I've used in sub freezing weather and the fan is very quiet.
I run it with a programmable thermostat that way the heat stays constant.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-13-3-4-in-1200-Wat...swod-KQLNg

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

....We'e found an electric blanket to be even more effective when sleeping, as it applies the heat only where needed.

I've been curious of electric blankets. Sounds like a great idea.

To the OP: though I imagine your fridge won't be on shore power, or on at all, Exclamation but when I still had my Domtice fridge, with it on and my heater fan set to "II" setting, the stock breaker would tend to blow. IOW, in my experience, its not hard to overload the stock Westy 110VAC breaker when using heater at higher settings.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

FWIW: For using the same amount of electricity & taking up about the same amount
of space, an oil-filled radiator will moderate heat even when it cycles off...

https://www.amazon.com/Tangkula-Electric-Radiator-...led+heater

Keep cozy! Cool

- Daveg

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

just curious to why everyone is mentioning conserving AC energy? He is going to be at campground where power is unlimited.

How can you deal with condensation with electric heat?
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

We have been using one of these for years. It is small and heats up the space in the van very well.
https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-754200-Ceramic-Adjustable-Thermostat/dp/B000TKDQ5C
Insulate your windows. We all wear down booties in the van.
have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Condensation is a byproduct of consumption. That's why Propex heat, vented outside, is better than the Buddy heaters that don't. Electric heat doesn't require onsite consumption either. The only moisture to deal with is his own breath.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

I've used this little heater for 7 years: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Broan-Big-Heat-Portable-Heater-p/08-0105.htm . Heats the van up right quick and the breaker has never tripped.

Other tip: keep the roof down. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
just curious to why everyone is mentioning conserving AC energy? He is going to be at campground where power is unlimited.

Just my .02 but....

Stock Westfalia circuit is 15 Amps. Just my .02 but like the cat trying to rescue their toy out from under the couch, with the Z bed unfolded, "stabbing" at the little breaker reset button (especially when it's snapped off flush to the panel), with a chopstick or other highly refined tool, is kind of a pain. Especially after drinking all that beer that was in the fridge, thats been running while the heater was on. [edit; on medium or high]

Wink

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

Condensation is a byproduct of consumption. That's why Propex heat, vented outside, is better than the Buddy heaters that don't. Electric heat doesn't require onsite consumption either. The only moisture to deal with is his own breath.

This video is like one of those old school videos from the 50's (yawn...), but he does explain humidity in an RV very well

Link

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

I’m with everyone else who’s a fan of the ceramic space heaters. I’ve used one of these in the van for 20 years. It fits in the Westy cabinet cubby under the water tank and keeps the van warm when plugged into shore power.

I believe it’s about as small as is available in a 1500 watt heater: 5.8 x 5.2 x 6.8 inches

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JP4YCUG/ref=mp_s...ace+heater

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Any 1500 watt heater is going to be about as efficient as the next.
Get the smallest one or if quiet is your thing , focus on that.
With your temps there is no need to put up any insulation.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Other tip: keep the roof down. Wink

Yes- drop the top to eliminate lots of cubic footage that you then won't have to heat. A similar efficiency can be had by blocking off the front seat area. I use a sheet hung from a flexy fiberglass rod that comes with a bicycle warning flag. After you eliminate these two unneeded (overnight) spaces, your heat goes about twice as far. And yes, there's nothing like an electric blanket when it's cold, esp. when you first climb in-- it's pre-heated. Can't beat that.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Marine stuff is usually pretty well built because of the damp environment on boats however you pay for it. This heater is fairly quiet with multiple heat options https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--portable-cabin-heater--7867500?recordNum=1

Here is another flavor of it https://www.fisheriessupply.com/caframo-true-north-electric-space-heater-9206ca-bbx

These should fit between the front seats and blow the heat back. I've used an older model and they are more than enough with the top down in the mid-20s. They use a squirrel cage fan which helps keep the noise down.
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best electric heat for a week below freezing? Reply with quote

Humidity shouldn't be an issue with an electric heater. This is because warm air can hold more moisture than cold air. If you run the heater through the night, the warm air will absorb any humidity, then small amounts of warm air will escape the van (through the pop-top, an open window, etc) and be replaced with cool (presumably dry) air from outside. This cycle will continue throughout the night, drying out the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: