Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuses
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Fuses Reply with quote

So I'm waiting on engine parts and decided to tackle some of the hanging wires under the dash. One thing I noticed was a busted 25A (blue) fuse in #8. When I looked it up in the manual, I noticed it said that there were two fuses which were 16A and all others were 8A. I can't see the manual being wrong, but can anyone confirm that this is actually the case? Also, anyone have any favourite sites for new fuses? RockAuto only sells in 100 packs! Any new-style fuses that are compatible? Thanks
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

That's the case. That other fuse was probably put there because they added something to the bus that need it?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

That is correct, there are no 25A fuses on a bus. They are called Bosch or ATS fuses and you can find them in some older European cars.. I think it was an older Mercedes I robbed a bunch out of at a junkyard a while back.

You can get them from the regular online places.. wolfsburg west, aircooled.net, busdepot, etc. I'm sure there are some local parts stores that have them too but you'd probably find them locally at a mom and pop auto parts store.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

Some Napa auto parts still sell single fuses. Although one store I recently went to was fazing out the “Open Stock” fuses for small packs instead.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

I tried both oreillys and autozone, they do have them but they're expensive. IIRC they're about $9 for 5 mixed fuses, I believe it was 2 reds and 2 whites.

On amazon, you can get white and red in bulk.
Also a few mixed on amazon for ok price.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003481803-Ceramic-Fus...ramic+fuse

https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Ceramic-Torpedo-Pors...se+torpedo

https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Ceramic-Torpedo-Pors...o&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/40-piece-Ceramic-Torpedo-Me...ramic+fuse

Last edited by Terminatez on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

Get fuses with brass strips verse the zinc ones, they are physically tougher and more corrosion resistant. Also use a tad of dielectric grease on the ends to further cut corrosion. I recently got several packages of ten fuses each for cheap on Amazon, they seem absolute fine on inspection.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

fuses protect the wiring
25A is a fairly big fuse and might not blow before there is wire damage
I would replace it with a 20A

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
fuses protect the wiring
25A is a fairly big fuse and might not blow before there is wire damage
I would replace it with a 20A

Aloha
tp

He needs to find out what is causing the excess load on the circuit. Someone probably replaced the stock 16 amp fuse because they are blowing it and the 25 amp replacement is blowing as well. Something isn't right and is very apt to cause damage to the wires supplying that circuit and any that are touching them in the harness.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

Hmmm, why is a 25A fuse blown in a 16A circuit? Good question. #8 is supposed to be interior lights and signals...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Hmmm, why is a 25A fuse blown in a 16A circuit? Good question. #8 is supposed to be interior lights and signals...

Giving your model year and location in the signature line would be helpful. Wink
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuses Reply with quote

As I've said many times, build one of these - all it takes is an old headlamp, headlamp socket, some wire, and a couple of clips:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clip it across the fuse holder of the fuse that blows. If the current draw is excessive, the lamp will light up, limiting the current. Now explore all devices connected to the fuse in question. Wiggle wires. Unplug stuff. When you find the problem area, the lamp will change brightness. If the problem is a short, the lamp will light up brightly. If you clear a short, the lamp will dim.

This device uses the fact that the resistance of a lamp increases radically with brightness. When unlit, a lamp has very little resistance, thus allowing much current to flow.

Also: no stock bus should ever use a blue fuse, and seldom need even a red fuse.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: