Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

I did a search a while back to find and actual brand/part number for an LED replacement bulb, but it seems like the only replies I found were "replace it with a LED" with no other info. I think the proper terminology for the bulb is called a festoon. Does anyone have any brand/part number/source for a LED replacement bulb that would work in the overhead drivers side dome light on a 67 Beetle? Is it a bulb they've actually used, and were happy with, or simply listing a source? I'm having difficulty actually tracking down the OEM bulb number to use as a crossover reference. Anyone know the factory bulb number?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

I have two 6v cars and replaced all of my lamps (with the exception of the radio #47 bulb and my turnsignal indicator) with LEDs. I chose the festoon lamps from the site below:
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/festoon-bulbs.php

They have bulbs in both 6 and 12 voltages. The length of the bulbs in my '62 and '66 are of the 36mm variety. I believe your '67 is also that length.

Another choice would be https://www.ledlight.com/searchresult.aspx?KeyWords=festoon.

They also sell LED replacements for taillights, turn signals, license plate and running lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

I have an LED Festoon dome light in my 67. It's nice and bright.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one problem that I was having, was that the light is the directional one instead of the 360° model. It would rotate in the holder from driving over bumpy surfaces.

To cure the problem. I put a dab of silicone on the holder where the end of the light protruded through the holder. The thing has not moved since.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Gary, thanks for the info! Doing some more research from your info, it looks like the modern common replacement incandescent bulb for 12v is a "6418". Looks like there are many LED versions of a 6418 bulb. Anyone have any recommendations?

67rustavenger, do you remember the manufacture/part number?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

I pulled the bulb out of the car and cannot determine the brand or P/N.

It is a 12V 0.6 watt light. 1.5" long.

This should work for ya.
https://www.ledlight.com/festoon-hi-power-two-1-2-watt-led-light-1-1-2-inches-or-36-mm.aspx

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Gary, thanks for the info! Doing some more research from your info, it looks like the modern common replacement incandescent bulb for 12v is a "6418". Looks like there are many LED versions of a 6418 bulb. Anyone have any recommendations?

67rustavenger, do you remember the manufacture/part number?

I just went through this last week! Your 67 should be 12V. The 6418 is too short (36mm will not stay put and will rotate in the fixture by itself) and I cannot return it since the package is opened...Sad

If you have a Walmart or Autozone, get a Sylvania "cool white" 6411 LED. Mine was $6.88 + tax, it works well, fits nicely at 41mm.

Last edited by mascrappo on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

According to Cip1, the regular 12 volt, 10 watt dome light is 42mm long and the 5 watt, 12v bulb is 37 mm long.

I found a source for 12 volt 'filament style" led bulbs, in lengths from 31mm, 36mm, 39mm and 41mm. (https://www.tmart.com/COB-Filament-LED-Festoon-Dome-License-Glass-Light-Car-Reading-Light-41mm-Warm-White-Light_p359100.html)

....unfortunately they don't list a 6 volt version.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know the color temperature of the LEDs...wonder why they don't state as much. Personally, I like the traditional warm white. Cool white might be okay, but that stuff getting into the 6000K range is just too blue.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Both web links provided talk about the color of the light their bulbs provide. (yes...I read stuff ....)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

I think these (or previous similar versions, superseded part - as LED lighting is an ever-evolving technology) are the bulbs I have in my Golf and my two Beetle dome lights, plus the extra Type 2 dome lights I re-purposed as under-glovebox "map lights" in the bugs.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/6451-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon-42mm-car/2038/

glutamodo wrote:
I've had a type 2 dome light under the glovebox in both of my bugs for like 15 years or so. In both cases I put them as close to the glovebox as I could get them. I also changed them out to LED bulbs as soon as such bulbs came down in price and got to a decent amount of lumens output.

Previously in my Baja, I had had some cheap accessory light fixture I had bought at a truck stop, which was a piece of junk and falling apart. I did buy this old SWF accessory interior light fixture off of eBay:

...but I found the cover/lens fit a bit too loose for my tastes. About that time I got a box of misc old parts that included some Bus dome lights and I decided I liked the look and function of them better.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I'd be curious to know the color temperature of the LEDs...wonder why they don't state as much. Personally, I like the traditional warm white. Cool white might be okay, but that stuff getting into the 6000K range is just too blue.

I like warm white too, but LED by it's own nature wants to be blue, so I settled for cool white, which isn't too blue/bad.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
According to Cip1, the regular 12 volt, 10 watt dome light is 42mm long and the 5 watt, 12v bulb is 37 mm long.

I found a source for 12 volt 'filament style" led bulbs, in lengths from 31mm, 36mm, 39mm and 41mm. (https://www.tmart.com/COB-Filament-LED-Festoon-Dome-License-Glass-Light-Car-Reading-Light-41mm-Warm-White-Light_p359100.html)

....unfortunately they don't list a 6 volt version.

Thanks for the link, they sure "look" original, and warm white too. I hope someone buys one and reports how well it works.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

I too would prefer more of a warm light to mimic the factory incandescent bulb, I just want more of it. Everything LED seems to be the white, or blueish white. Sure, that color does provide a "cleaner" light that allows you to see "better", so I guess we're limited on options. The car has a black interior, and the compounding of 50 year old wiring connections/contacts probably isn't helping any, but I can't see anything after dark with the current set up. Digger89L's link looks like an option for a little more warm tone for the light.
https://www.tmart.com/COB-Filament-LED-Festoon-Dom...59100.html
The car's put away for the Winter, but I'm going to get some different options, and see what I can come up with. Thanks for everyone's replies. Feel free to add to the thread with any more options anyone else has gotten to work well.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

My preference is for warm white for the vintage look on my VW, but daylight or cool white for a more modern car upgrade.

The directional mature of many festoon lamps is a plus for the dome light. You don't need to illuminate the inner roof!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Both web links provided talk about the color of the light their bulbs provide. (yes...I read stuff ....)

Yep, thanks. I think one of the earlier links just says "available in bright white," or something like that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

Just to post an update, I finally got around to getting an LED bulb for my 67 dome light. Most list a replacement incandescent festoon of 42mm long, but for what ever reason, mine was 44. I simply did some searching for a 44mm bulb, and came up with a Matrix X-Series LED Minibulb #X-148 from Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/grm-x-148

The bulb came with a circuit board of 4 rows of 6 leds to make 24 total. It is basically a flat board, so I simply rotated the leds to face outward in the light housing. Here’s a pick of the face of the bulb, it turned for installation, and light output during daylight around 5pm.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

That's super nice.
If you find the light getting a bit dim. It may have rotated in the prongs due to the weight of the LED light being offset.
I used a dab of RTV bridging the prong to the bulb. Never had a rotation issue since doing that. Laughing

Good Luck.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which LED bulb for 67 Beetle dome light? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

The bulb came with a circuit board of 4 rows of 6 leds to make 24 total. It is basically a flat board, so I simply rotated the leds to face outward in the light housing. Here’s a pick of the face of the bulb, it turned for installation, and light output during daylight around 5pm.

Just one comment, personally I've found that huge arrays like this are more prone to failure than others. Not to say that the 6-LED array I talked about above is any better. But after having some failures in various types of big stacked LEDs, I gravitate to having less of them.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: