Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late bay distributor installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Amongst other things, today I installed back the distributor I rebuilt a while ago. This is on a Late Bay, Type 4 engine.

While doing so, I was not 100% certain of one of the steps. Unfortunately, I had to run before I could do further checks, but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Here's what I did:

1. Checked out the distributor and distributor driveshaft slot position diagram from the Wilson book (see first picture).
2. Rotated the crankshaft so it was at TDC (0° advance), and the driveshaft's thick slice was on the right (i.e. ensured that the driveshaft was not 180° out of phase).
3. Pointed the distributor rotor to the #1 marking on the distributor case.
4. Noticed that the driveshaft position on the diagram and on my engine did not match.

Essentially, the thick slice is is on the right on both cases, but while on the diagram the offset is 12° going CCW from the vertical line on the 4th quadrant, on my engine it is rather 12° CW (update: it's probably rather 18°). It's best seen on the 3rd picture below

Is this really important? I mean, are these 12 degrees a spec set in stone, or does it depend how the driveshaft is installed?

Here are some pictures to better illustrate this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Distributor driveshaft slot position at 12°offset

Crankshaft at TDC

Distributor driveshaft slot offset. It's probably -18°, as each tooth represents 30°. Thus my driveshaft is probably one tooth off clockwise.

Distributor with rotor pointing at cylinder #1 firing position. Thick slice is on the right

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

You may want to lift the drive and put it in correctly, though it could work fine as now installed. A dowel rod rammed into the hole in the drive where the spring goes can be used to lift the drive, slowly turning it counter clockwise as you lift it. Don't lift it any further than necessary to get it to turn, maybe 9/16" or 14mm +/-. The drive will rotate clockwise as it goes back into place.

Double check that you are on TDC compression for #1 and not #3, both the valves on #1 be closed and the rockers should have lash, while the valves on number three show both be open a tad and have no lash.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You may want to lift the drive and put it in correctly, though it could work fine as now installed.

Oh, so this definitely means the driveshaft is indeed offset from its original position?

I don't think I lifted it myself unnoticedly when I took the distributor out, so it must have been in this position for years.

While I can't be certain, I don't think the engine was ever rebuilt, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what caused the offset.

Wildthings wrote:
A dowel rod rammed into the hole in the drive where the spring goes can be used to lift the drive, slowly turning it counter clockwise as you lift it. Don't lift it any further than necessary to get it to turn, maybe 9/16" or 14mm +/-. The drive will rotate clockwise as it goes back into place.

Great, thanks. Some more questions:

- I guess I need to fish out the spring first, right? Any other small parts to be careful with?
- Would you actually recommend turning it to the position as per the spec? Or just leave it be, given the fact (if I understand it correctly) that it does not affect the function of the engine?
- Is there a way to ensure I'm on the correct offset setting? I guess I could use a degree pulley or count tooth steps on the driveshaft, but I'm wondering if there is a proper way to do it.

Wildthings wrote:
Double check that you are on TDC compression for #1 and not #3, both the valves on #1 be closed and the rockers should have lash, while the valves on number three show both be open a tad and have no lash.

Noted, thanks.

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

There's no need for degree wheels or accurate measurement, the next tooth over will be very obvious, when you get it so it looks like the picture it's right.

I like to lift the drive with a strong magnet, that way there's a better chance the washer sticks to the drive and doesn't fall into the abyss.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

It seems this is not a too uncommon problem as I read on the forums. It just caught me off guard, as I thought I'd just go ahead and install the distributor without opening yet another can of worms...

In any case, I've been doing some reading. From Wildthings' and busdaddy's replies and the extra research, I think can now answer my own questions:

• There is a procedure on Bentley for removal and inspection of the distributor driveshaft. A PO probably did the removal and put the driveshaft back without knowing about the 12° offset spec. That's just a guess, though.
• In any case, the offset I've got is not significant and will not affect the function of the engine or will require me to rewire the ignition. The small additional offset will become irrelevant as soon as I adjust the timing and rotate the distributor.
• If I want to fix it, I'll use the dowel (I need to find out the diameter I'll need) and lift the driveshaft to bring it to the right position. I'll do this carefully without lifting it out completely, as I don't want to risk the washer(s) underneath the driveshaft to fall into the gear chamber. The spring will need to be removed prior to inserting the dowel.
• According to ratwell, each tooth is a 30° increment. Mine is probably then one tooth off at -18°. Thus I simply need to rotate the shaft CCW one tooth to bring it to 12°

I'm in two minds whether I should attempt to fix it or not. Looking at the diagram below (see #5) and the picture, the extra bit of shaft under the gear does not look too long, which I fear might not retain the washer after being lifted enough to surpass the gear to be able to rotate it.

VW #021 105 231. Picture from Samba member rkoss

Perhaps I'm being too careful and this is not the case, but I'd hate to drop the washer and end up having to disassemble the case for what was supposed to be an easy job.

Would someone perhaps have a picture of a halved case showing the driveshaft in place, if it's visible at all?

I always refer to this excellent thread when I'm looking for good, high-resolution pictures of an engine, but it happens to show the other side of the case, without the distributor.

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

• In any case, the offset I've got is not significant and will not affect the function of the engine or will require me to rewire the ignition. The small additional offset will become irrelevant as soon as I adjust the timing and rotate the distributor.

So long as you can turn the distributor body far enough to get the engine properly timed, you can run it with the drive installed in any position, but if the vacuum can hits something then you need to lift and turn the drive.

I would guess that most experienced VW mechanics set the drive where the book says to "just because". If you have a double vacuum distributor with a nice fat vacuum can then setting the drive according to the book is pretty much required, whereas if you are running an 009 then it doesn't matter much at all.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

What sort of strong magnet?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
furgo wrote:

So long as you can turn the distributor body far enough to get the engine properly timed, you can run it with the drive installed in any position, but if the vacuum can hits something then you need to lift and turn the drive.

Yeah, that should be fine, I don't think the 30° degrees should make much of a difference in my case. As I said, the engine has had this setup ever since I owned it, and the can was not hitting any other parts.

Wildthings wrote:
I would guess that most experienced VW mechanics set the drive where the book says to "just because". If you have a double vacuum distributor with a nice fat vacuum can then setting the drive according to the book is pretty much required, whereas if you are running an 009 then it doesn't matter much at all.

Yes, I've come to understand that now. As I said before, once more I've learned that there is no such thing as a trivial job Smile I've got a stock SVDA distributor, so I should be fine wrt clearance.

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Actually...

Wildthings wrote:

This piece of advice is for solid lifters, correct? From a quick search, it seems it won't apply to hydraulic lifters, but I did not manage to find an alternative.

In other words, once the distributor is out, how do you find out whether you are on TDC compression for #1 with hydraulic lifters?

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

not enough time to re-read this but be sure you are on the correct TDC.

Don't forget the spring either when putting the distributor in.

Oh and look at http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html#0141

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

SGKent wrote:
not enough time to re-read this but be sure you are on the correct TDC.

No need to re-read, all questions have been sorted out. Actually how to find the TDCC with hydraulic lifters is the only remaining one Smile (see last post).

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

watch the rocker arms. you can put your finger on the pushrod side and hold it against the lifter, which in turn is against the cam. When you have the correct TDC use the timing scale unless you made other marks while the engine was out and heads off.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
What sort of strong magnet?

I have a telescoping pickup tool with a ~3/4" dia. X 1" high round magnet on the end that will pick up quite a few pounds of metal, it pulls drives and lifters easily and usually magnetizes the drive enough to hold the washer too. Can't recall where I got it, it's likely Chinese.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Great idea, thanks
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Actually...

Wildthings wrote:

This piece of advice is for solid lifters, correct? From a quick search, it seems it won't apply to hydraulic lifters, but I did not manage to find an alternative.

In other words, once the distributor is out, how do you find out whether you are on TDC compression for #1 with hydraulic lifters?

You can watch for overlap on the #3 cylinder if you are trying to find TDC compression for the #1 cylinder. When both valve are moving and about the same height you are at overlap and should be within 2° or so of TDC with most cams.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
furgo wrote:

I had the bus in the shop when I first got it, not knowing then what I know now. The guy who ran the shop was setting the valves and doing a tune up, and saw the distributor was off. He looked in the hole, picked up the drive with a set of needle nose pliers (pliers open against drive socket sides) and rotated it to be in right location. His comment was that now I had a decent chance of getting my own tune ups right, and anyone else working on the bus would have one less problem to figure out.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You can watch for overlap on the #3 cylinder if you are trying to find TDC compression for the #1 cylinder. When both valve are moving and about the same height you are at overlap and should be within 2° or so of TDC with most cams.

Thanks.

I've reworked a diagram I created a while ago to better visualize this in my head. If it's correct, it should show the open valves at TDC compression, with the overlap you mention:

I might have to move the overlap section a bit to the left in the diagram, i.e. advance it before TDCC.

The challenge is that I'm doing this alone, and I can't rotate the alternator and watch the rocker arms moving at the same time. So I guess I'll have to rely on being able to spot the difference between the valve side of the rocker arm being depressed or not, which I'm not sure is too obvious. Particularly with them not being fully open at that time. It will be obvious to some, but I'm watching the valves' position for the first time.

I guess I'll see it when I'm there, but it does not hurt to ask beforehand. At the end of the day, something as simple (or so I thought) as reinstalling the distributor has turned out to be slightly more involved than I initially anticipated...

Decode your M-Plate
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

If you are having a hard time detecting rocker movement,slip a socket with an extension over the valve adjusting nut,movement of the rocker will be amplified thru the extension.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Excellent advice, thanks!

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay distributor installation Reply with quote

Having finished the installation today (and replaced the valve covers along the way), here is some feedback on the process for someone landing on this thread:

• Reinstalling the distributor once you've replaced the shaft O-ring is a pain. I ended up lightly smearing the O-ring with engine oil, and even then it took a lot of pushing, twisting and swearing to get in.
• If the driveshaft is not aligned at 12° as per specs, the condensator easily hits either the oil pressure switch boot or the engine tin. You can't rotate past there CCW.
• I could not, for the life of me, tell whether the valves were open or not to determine TDCC. Even with a socket extension. I've concluded that with hydraulic lifters you can only tell if it's a two-person job: where one turns the engine and the other watches the valve movement.
• Nevertheless, I installed the distributor: I assumed I wasn't 180° out of phase as it wasn't when I removed it in the first place.
• Surely obvious to many, but in the process of this whole exercise, I realized for the first time that the cylinder heads are not symmetrical. Both sides have exactly the same orientation, and can thus be interchanged. So you can drive with either an A and B head as per stock, or two B's, or two A's, etc. If you're on FI you would need to drill and tap the TS2 hole yourself depending on your combination.
• The red rubber boots around the spark plug connector tips not only help protecting against humidity, they hold the connectors much tighter than without them.
• Definitely use grease on the bails when you secure the covers. Saves you from a fresh scratch right on your new cover. You can clean the grease once the bail is in place and holding the covers.

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: