Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JX diesel injector pump boost device
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

They do a special version of the B part with a stronger spring for intercoolers:
http://www.dieselkontor.de/product_info.php?products_id=3332
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
What do you think, the B version fuels more at lower RPM? Do you think I could get more power out of my Giles pump?

From my experience, having a Giles pump and the 'B' sprung aneroid device installed ... it does make a difference in getting more air in. Particularly important at your altitudes, Gnarlie.
They are good folks there and will reply to emails typically within a day.

ZsZ ... I would guess that maybe the apparent 'different' application is simply an 'add on' to the listing from a few years back I posted yesterday in that a laden work truck (Sinka or Doka) would also be able to take advantage of the performance increase.
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Hello All,
Just a quick update. I received the boost controller from Diesel Kontor a while ago and installed it last weekend. A big improvement. The JX motor is adequate power for now. Would still like to do TDI conversion but it will be good to actually use the camper this summer.
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of where this device is installed? I have the 1.6 td with an actuator type k14 turbo and have not seen anything resembling this part on my motor.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

That is part of the special injection pump setup that JX engines have.
On those JX pumps the boost actuator section of the pump is mounted external to the pump with a linkage rod to increase the fueling of the pump as boost increases. Other 1.6TD engines have it all built into their pump.

If you search for images of the JX pump or JX engine you can see the details.
The point of the external boost actuator is to lower the height of the TD pump so it clears the van engine lid.

Mark

vandoka wrote:
Does anyone have a photo of where this device is installed? I have the 1.6 td with an actuator type k14 turbo and have not seen anything resembling this part on my motor.
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Mark. Looking at my motor it has the jx pump. The motor, I believe is a rebuild and not factory. I am getting 5 lbs of boost and want to try and sort out why. Photos of my turbo, pump and what may be the blow off valve? Looking at these are there any tweaks that can be made to increase boost?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Make sure there are not any intake leaks after the compressor and there are no exhaust leaks before the turbine.

The BOV can just be blocked off to ensure that it is not leaking. They are unnecessary and were simply eliminated by the late Mk2's. You can remove the adjust screw and add a spacer so the screw pushes to keep the valve closed or repace the valve with a quick plug.

It is not uncommon for the K14 wastegates to stick, which, if there aren't any intake/exhaust leaks is the most likely culprit for low boost. They are a real PITA to remove but I have done so on quite a few turbos and have been able to revive each of them.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

I have the horizontal JX aneroid on an AAZ pump built by Giles, so the engine fits under the deck lid without modification. After installing it I was getting poor low end performance and upside the power curve it would get a sudden bump of power.

I put a video camera on the pump and went for a drive. It turns out that to get the JX aneroid to clear the coolant flange outlet I had put some spacers under the aneroid mount. The actuator rod was a little skewed and would bind up and pop only at high RMPs and full boost. The important variable is that you can only get full boost out of the turbo if you get full fueling, so the aneroid rod is a critical point in the power stream.

You should also make sure the aneroid is getting vacuum through that rubber tube. Worst case scenario is your turbo is full of oil sludge and the tube isn’t getting any vacuum.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

What is a quick plug please. I had to remove the BOV to fit turbo hose.[/quote]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

I'm talking about one of these:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6004004

I don't recall the size, but that one seems about right.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

The ones that Napa sells are very different from the normal plumbing ones. The rubber is much taller. I'm not sure I would trust one of the normal ones found in the plumbing section of a hardware store. I have used the Napa ones for many miles without issue.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Yeah they look a bit tougher with the brass.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Or steel.
Dave.Arthur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

I have a JX hybrid with a hydro head, Giles pump and injectors, 5 speed in a T3.

Working through trying to reduce EGTs and increase power... I have installed a water cooler intercooler.

Im down to ensuring the LDA is working and applying the boost enrichment correctly. There are a lot of adjustment options on the LDA setup...

The stop for the enrichment ca, both minimum and maximum. The length of the LDA push rod.

I have searched for a long time for the process to set these variables, does anyone have any insight?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

If it's a Giles pump I would email/call him and ask. Probably your best resource.

PS, you need any stock JX parts? I'm near by and moving soon. Going to get ride of a bunch of stuff for the move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Here`s what I can get you translated from French from the T3zone forum.

Top of the pump

-1 : excentric shaft
-2 : bump stop
-3 : articulated joint
-4 : LDA shaft

Unlike a classic LDA, there`s no cone but an excentric

To summarize, in order to adjust the JX pump and have better performances, at full load position, you need the excentric #1 in its most aggressive position, towards the fuel return fitting.

Here`s how you determine the most excentered position :

Remove the support above the shaft and measure its throw.

-

The trick is to get all that to correspond with the LDA shaft, so you do the same by pulling on the LDA shaft #4 and measure its range of motion (throw)

Then you match both by playing on small adjsutements.

If all is good, by putting everything at max, everything goes well together.
Here`s what you get:

[b]Loosen the counter nut of the threaded shaft of the LDA that goes in the articulated joint and tighten to the max when you bottom out.

As for the bump stop, you should look like that:

Play with fueling and do some road tests.

I have the complete Bosch manual too at my shop but I won`t get to it in a while Confused
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Dave.Arthur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and translation services Very Happy

I have a spare JX pump, so I will practice setting the eccentric shaft. I guess the set point for the LDA shaft length will be to start moving as soon as boost starts...

Once I master the setting, I will try it on the road!
Dave.Arthur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

I sat down with a JX pump and an LDA and did some serious thinking about how it worked and what adjustment points were available. Using the information from ALIKA T3 I came to the following result. As always YMMV Very Happy

There is an eccentric shaft that relieves spring pressure on the fuelling mechanism, causing more fuel to be injected. It rotates counter clockwise. As it turns it has a greater effect on fuelling.

There is a two part cam assembly that attaches to the eccentric shaft. The main cams position relative to the eccentric shaft is fixed (non-adjustable). The secondary part of the cam presents a ball to which the LDA shaft attaches with a ball socket (articulated joint). The two cams attach to each other with a slotted adjustment, but there is an index point that aligns the two pieces.

The pump top casting provides an upper cam limit and a lower cam limiting screw/locknut.

The LDA has an adjustable length shaft, but the LDA stroke is fixed and has maximum travel at ~ 10psi.

Of the components only two may be adjusted, the LDA shaft length and the lower limit on the pump top.

The full range or rotation on the eccentric shaft is greater than the rotation provided by the cam and LDA push rod. If the LDA stroke was greater more rotation would be possible. As a result, the only set point left is the length of the lower limit screw on the pump top.

Here is the procedure I used.

Establish your LDA is functioning. I used a bicycle pump and fuel pressure gauge. Ensure free motion proportional to the pressure applied. Maximum stroke should be realized at ~ 10psi.

With the LDA shaft fully extended and the cam assembly installed, adjust the ball socket on the LDA shaft to rotate the eccentric to the upper cam limit.

Loosen the lower cam limit so it is flush with the pump top casting.

Release the LDA shaft to rest position, which will rotate the eccentric. Tighten the lower cam limit to about 1mm from the eccentric cam assembly.

Setting complete

My symptoms were poor performance at lower rpm (< 2500) and over fuelled boost compensation. This resulted in high EGTs (1100F) on WOT conditions even though the basic fuelling setup was conservative. After setting my low rpm performance is better, even down to ~2000. My EGTs have dropped under load to 800F. I use a liquid cooler IC.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JX diesel injector pump boost device Reply with quote

Awesome, glad to hear!

Some people go the extra length as to cut open the LDA to replace the membrane and mess up with the rod length and range of motion but I never did it personally.

You have a crack on you accelerator cable lever next to the splined shaft nut with the yellow paint, from the look of it on pictures...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: