Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Rag top, first Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

I have wanted a Beetle for a long time, occasionally looked on Craigslist, but have always put it off. About a month ago, I started reading build threads on the Samba and various YouTube videos and really caught the bug. So, after a month of looking, I found a 1961 ragtop. I did a recovery mission on Friday, 280 miles round trip. Now, finding anything rust free in Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota is next to impossible, this one is not too bad.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

This previous owner had bought this as a project 4 years ago, but life got in the way and he was not able to find the time to get started on it. It did come with most of the parts in boxes. Recovered seats, a new ragtop, bumpers with overriders in nice shape. It was originally sold in California.

Has a bit of rust in the passenger side B pillar.

And the driver side by heater channel.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a pretty solid car; have you made any plans for what direction you want to go with it?
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Cool tail lights

Put the seats in. Car appears to be Beryl Green. Body and pan numbers match. Engine is a 66 1300

Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Current plans are to get it to "lot drive" as I have been promising my wife to get her 52 Dodge truck on the road. The engine runs, but has leaky pushrods seals. Need some minor brake work and the wiring needs sorting out. If I can get the time, I may drive it a bit this summer, and start a body off restore next winter.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Looks great! Enjoy!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

One of my all-time favorite square window-era cars- the 1961 beryl green ragtop! Congratulations!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
One of my all-time favorite square window-era cars- the 1961 beryl green ragtop! Congratulations!

X2! Congratulations!

The dash looks great . . . be cool if you could clean it up on the inside and re-spray just the exterior Beryl Green! Very Happy

We will be rootin' for ya 'cause we love ragtops!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Nice find!! That white paint looks a little thin, you might get lucky and be able to remove it, exposing the original factory paint!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

The white is primer, I will try taking it off. I have heard of using oven cleaner, maybe someone has a suggestion on if that works
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Primer should be pretty easy to get rid of. Here's 40+ pages on the subject!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Sometimes primer can be "shot off" using a hot water pressure washer.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

That's a nice find anywhere, but especially that far up north Good Luck with the build.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Project update:

I have decided to start on the restoration instead of trying to drive it this summer. I did get it running and drove it up and down the block. It will need some transmission work, as second gear is a bit crunchy. I pulled the engine, literally took an hour. It did not look too bad inside, original size bearings, heads in decent shape. I am sending parts out to a machine shop. The hardest part of the engine rebuild will be finding 1300cc pistons and cylinders.

Removed the fenders and windows.

The only rust spot in the window openings was a small spot on the lower rear window, all the other openings are real clean.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Thats a nice looking Bug, Attractive color also. Bit of elbow grease and she will be looking spiffy again.

I have had my 61 hardtop for almost 40 years now Dad bought it new.

Keep use updated on the progress.

Thanks for sharing

Bug On 61!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

The front end needs a bit of attention.

The rear needs some work, but the apron is in nice shape.

Both rear quarters have rust, along with rust in the heater channels. The passenger side had a nasty repair that included fiberglass cloth.

So it appears that I do have some work to do. But I knew that going into it. On the plus side , the pans look real good, there is no rust in the A pillars, and I was able to find all of the sunroof parts.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Nice Bug!!! Solid starting point. Keep us updated as I'd like to see the progress.
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Project update:

I have decided to start on the restoration instead of trying to drive it this summer. I did get it running and drove it up and down the block. It will need some transmission work, as second gear is a bit crunchy. I pulled the engine, literally took an hour. It did not look too bad inside, original size bearings, heads in decent shape. I am sending parts out to a machine shop. The hardest part of the engine rebuild will be finding 1300cc pistons and cylinders.

Removed the fenders and windows.

The only rust spot in the window openings was a small spot on the lower rear window, all the other openings are real clean.

Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Oops, double post!
Vstromed715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Rag top, first Beetle Reply with quote

Making a little progress on the Bug. The crankshaft is back from the machine shop, the connecting rods are off to get rebuilt. And I recieved this beauty from Tim at Volkzbitz. The correct 30PICT-1 carb for a 1966 1300.

Found some NOS made in Germany Kolbenschmidt pistons and rings.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: